Well done the board of Newcastle United

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Freddys Wallet

Great bit of business in my opinion, obviously. However, taking into account the wages, can we afford him?

I've heard all sorts of rumours about how much debt we are in, and rumours that we even had to sell to training ground to fund Michael Owen's transfer, however I find this hard to believe as we paid £5million over the asking price, if i remember correctly.

If it pays off, than fantastic, but I can't help but wonder where all this money is coming from. I don't want us to become the next Leeds, even if it means we have a slight chance of becoming the next Manchester United. Its too much of a risk.

I just want a bit of transparency, on the financial front.  :confused:

Hi by the way.  :)

Guest Jangles

I wouldnt worry, dont think Freddy's going to do anything that would put his and Dougie's big fat dividends at risk.

I think the net outlay in transfers has been something like £100m over the past 10 years, thats less than £10m a season. And the evidence seems to be that the wage bill is kept in check - usually by flogging squad players

Guest Verlaine

Considering Roeder is still interested in the likes of Klose, I'd be willing to speculate we've got quite a bit left in the kitty for the right players.

Guest thompers

I'm chuffed to bits that we've signed him and £5m is an ok price but lets not start sucking each other's dicks too much, afterall he was in his final year of his Chelsea contract.

Guest helios_centric

Makes a change for us to get a bargain doesn't it? It's pretty much a unique feeling in recent times.

I don't see how anyone could not be anything other than delighted that we got him for £5million. I've rarely, if ever, said this but well done to the board.

Guest terry

fellas. so we paid 5mill transfer fee. he only had 1 year left on contract

what about the signing on fee, which was reportedly massive 3/4 mill..?

what about the 5 year contract of 60-80k a week? plus all bonuses...

another splash the cash rush to the head for fat fred.

his work is by no means over in my eyes. get the ridiculous unsustainable wage bill down and buy a squad not a trophy signing.

happy hes joined but look at bigger picture of contract etc...

his work is by no means over in my eyes. get the ridiculous unsustainable wage bill down and buy a squad not a trophy signing.

aye we should only buy players who'll play for free  :roll:. You aint going to get anything cheap anymore. We aren't going to get any team changing players for 30,000 a week anymore

Guest terry

aye we should only buy players who'll play for free  :roll:. You aint going to get anything cheap anymore. We aren't going to get any team changing players for 30,000 a week anymore

or as you say get a squad all on 60k a week. is that sustainable then?

we need a squad. what we have got is yet ANOTHER PLAYER ON AN ENORMOUS CONTRACT. do you not understand maths?

believe it or not we ain't in CL and we aint loaded yet continue to spend like we are.

Guest bobjonson

where do you get the info regrads the signing on fee? and how do you know what wages he's getting?

Guest Verlaine

where do you get the info regrads the signing on fee? and how do you know what wages he's getting?

His imagination.

believe it or not we ain't in CL

and we aint going to get back into the CL without big players. You've got to buy big players to get into big competitions. I would rather have a good player on 60000 a week than two average players on 30000 a week each.

Guest TheOrder

I just want a bit of transparency, on the financial front.  :confused:

Yes, it's all a bit secret,  but I've reliably heard from several other club's top ITKs that we might not even make it to the end of the season!!!

Fuck me, and how would they know?

Honestly, give it a think man.

His imagination.

It would be nice to know though, I have to say.  People can scoff at the figures being quoted, as no-one would appear to know, but let's not pretend he's on peanuts and that a signing on fee wouldn't have been generous.  Although the opposite is quite possible, it's highly doubtful.  That's the problem with buying Chelsea's cast offs, they're used to high wages. 

By the way, I am in no way agreeing with the figures quoted by terry.  I can't be arsed with the 'reportedly' nonsense.

Guest terry

His imagination.

It would be nice to know though, I have to say.  People can scoff at the figures being quoted, as no-one would appear to know, but let's not pretend he's on peanuts and that a signing on fee wouldn't have been generous.  Although the opposite is quite possible, it's highly doubtful.  That's the problem with buying Chelsea's cast offs, they're used to high wages. 

By the way, Iam in no way agreeing with the figures quoted by terry. 

you can if you like :winking:

as if he ain't on massive wages. he was clearly swung our way by something.. hmmm what could that be that made owen wanna join on 100k a week or parker on 60k a week or luque on 50k a week dyer 70k  a week bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

that spurs itk who broke the news on him coming here before any papers even had a wiff of it, said that spurs told duff and his advisors to **** off when he asked for a massive , in region of 3-4 mill signing on fee because, he could hold out for that in 12 months time when contract had run out.

now you can all say yeh right corse he did blah balh...but i followed that story and that itk had it bang on before anyone north of watford even got wind of us being in the race.

Guest Verlaine

The fact is, we're far more likely to sign a quality striker now that we've signalled our intentions by getting Duff in, so quite aside from how good he is, props to the board for that too.

Guest TheOrder

His imagination.

as if he ain't on massive wages. he was clearly swung our way by something.. hmmm what could that be that made owen wanna join on 100k a week or parker on 60k a week or luque on 50k a week dyer 70k  a week bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

that spurs itk who broke the news on him coming here before any papers even had a wiff of it, said that spurs told duff and his advisors to **** off when he asked for a massive , in region of 3-4 mill signing on fee because, he could hold out for that in 12 months time when contract had run out.

now you cna all say yeh right corse he did blah balh...but i followed that story and that itk had it bqang on before anyway north of watford even got wind of us being in the race.

So a player whose made so much money, whose won two premiership titles, turned down Liverpool and Spurs(guffaw), for an extra 10k/15k a week and a healthy payoff?

Can't see it. The fella wants to play football, and more importantly wants to play for a team where he will be appreciated.

Guest bobjonson

His imagination.

now you can all say yeh right corse he did blah balh...but i followed that story and that itk had it bang on before anyone north of watford even got wind of us being in the race.

tbh mate, all those supposed ITKs saying all sorts, one was eventually going to get it partly right.

so even if we did say pay 3 mil signing on added to the 5 mil transfer, still not close to the 12 mil that the spurs lot were saying we had bid, which was the reason he came here and not there.

fact us no of us really know, and I doubt we will ever know exactlly the amount of money involved.

Guest terry

His imagination.

now you cna all say yeh right corse he did blah balh...but i followed that story and that itk had it bqang on before anyway north of watford even got wind of us being in the race.

So a player whose made so much money, whose won two premiership titles, turned down Liverpool and Spurs(guffaw), for an extra 10k/15k a week and a healthy payoff?

Can't see it. The fella wants to play football, and more importantly wants to play for a team where he will be appreciated.

and you saying he couldn't have done that at spurs or pool?

players play for who pays them the highest mate its football.

His imagination.

I thought ten million would have been a decent signing but for 5m we have more than made up for that little extra he wanted in wages. Any spurs fan who is under the illusion that Duff's move was a financial decsion needs to watch the press conference again. The man made up his mind long before money was on the agenda.

If Spurs fail to compete fiancially with us then that is their too bad. Duff is our player and we are delighted at the price we got him for.