Old Firm

Heron
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

am tryin to make the point that rangers fans are always being put in the spotlight for there singing and actions when really its just arseholes that want to slate the club. fair play weve had a few fines in the past but the things we were fined for have not been sung since then but we are still labelled as being bigoted

Rangers, No surrender

Can I just say first of all congrats to Rangers for a greta win last night and putting a bit og oomph back into the Scottish European capmpaign that I doubt Aberdeen will emulate tonight.

However how many comments like the one above, a phrase that is teeped in bigotry will some of you come up with in a misguided attempt to show support for one of the OF?

Did none of you learn anything from Gazza's embarassing episodes in Scotland?

How is not surrendering to a terrorist organisation biggoted?

Is that the same organisation that downed tools a while back? Catch yourself on man, and jrtoonarmy as well.

There's been a significant number of Rangers fans over the years who've quite vocally and visibly shown support for the UDA, UVF, UFF and other loyalist organisations. They're hardly community support groups are they?

That song, sung by some Rangers fans in particular, is more about combatting republicanism in Ireland and claiming superiority over Catholics as it is about opposing terrorism. For people who lend support to loyalist death squads to claim they oppose terrorism would be joke if it didn't support killing people. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I'm not saying you come from that position, but that's where that song's from.

Both are scum!

That's a well considered and balanced comment. Well done. Not that you're alone in your enlightened opinion, but you did put it more succinctly than most others. Are all Berwick Rangers fans just like you then?

I would suggest fans of most lower league fans in Scotland hold the same opinion. Only last month travelling back from Ayr there were two idiots from the Rangers game singing their s**** about Catholics. One screaming 'Big Jock Knew' into a 10 year olds face, just because he had a Celtic hat on was his 'highlight'. They cleared the half the train!

There s**** happening like this every time ive travelled through Glasgow after a game involving the Old Firm. Motherwell are next worse in my opinion.

I don't doubt there's plenty of idiots follow both the OF clubs. Not that they're alone there either like.

Your post implied that you thought most fans of both are scum - your choice of phrase and the sweeping generalisation was a bit ironic really. Hardly taking the high ground was it?

On the original question though, it would be Celtic for me. Quite a lot of my extended family were fans when I was a kid and the first school team I played for wore green and white hoops, so I've always had a bit of an affection for them. I like The Fields of Athenry as well. Simple things...

GREAT FANS......

not only are youse bigoted but also racist...

not alot of fans sing ftp? seems a whole away following to me

ehm thats the game a was talkin about that we got the fine for and it hasnt been sung since

Guest fatshaft

GREAT FANS......

not only are youse bigoted but also racist...

not alot of fans sing ftp? seems a whole away following to me

ehm thats the game a was talkin about that we got the fine for and it hasnt been sung since

So what were they investigated for at Inverness then? Just a different song. They won't learn because like yourself, the Huns are in denial that they have a problem.

Both are scum!

That's a well considered and balanced comment. Well done. Not that you're alone in your enlightened opinion, but you did put it more succinctly than most others. Are all Berwick Rangers fans just like you then?

I would suggest fans of most lower league fans in Scotland hold the same opinion. Only last month travelling back from Ayr there were two idiots from the Rangers game singing their s**** about Catholics. One screaming 'Big Jock Knew' into a 10 year olds face, just because he had a Celtic hat on was his 'highlight'. They cleared the half the train!

There s**** happening like this every time ive travelled through Glasgow after a game involving the Old Firm. Motherwell are next worse in my opinion.

I don't doubt there's plenty of idiots follow both the OF clubs. Not that they're alone there either like.

Your post implied that you thought most fans of both are scum - your choice of phrase and the sweeping generalisation was a bit ironic really. Hardly taking the high ground was it?

On the original question though, it would be Celtic for me. Quite a lot of my extended family were fans when I was a kid and the first school team I played for wore green and white hoops, so I've always had a bit of an affection for them. I like The Fields of Athenry as well. Simple things...

Well they both have a larger percentage of scumbags than other clubs. Thats for sure. You only have to hear the terrace songs at old firm games. Everyone singing them is scum. And most of the rest I have no respect for! Duns True Blues, Dumfries Loyal, Elgin CSC. They all make me sick the glory hunting bastards!

Guest robertbobo

Has to be Rangers.

Firstly 'cause of the Gazza connection. I'm from Scotland and met Gazza in a pub in Edinburgh one night. He was great, spoke to all my mates, bought us all a drink and told us NUFC were his first love. Said if he had his life to live over he wouldn't have left the toon. More or less said he was badly advised at the time.

From my experience of Celtic fans coming down to St. James and behaving like total assholes and singing songs that support the IRA and the rest have to say that I pretty much dislike them.

I know Rangers fans sing similar but at the end of the day they play in Britain and are a Britsh team so I guess to me that is more acceptable.

So, if Rangers play Celtic I would want Rangers to win.

Guest toonlass

I just wonder why, if Celtic fans are proud to be Irish they don't relocate back to Ireland(and its not being bigotted its just an opinion) but then I remember that they will be an even bigger fish in a small pond and will not get the revenue that they do from the Old Firm games.

If you take sectarianism out of the Old Firm, it'll cease to be interesting. Anyone that gets the slightest bit offended by the songs either sets of fans sing seriously needs their face bossed into a wall.

Incidently, I've never met any Rangers or Celtic fan that does actually get offended by any song. They all sing them, then the next day get back to work with their catholic and protestant mates that they 24 hours previously hated. It all means jackshit, and it is, once again, people getting offended on other people's behalf.

The reason they have more scumbag fans than most other teams isn't because of the religious side or hatred, but because of Glasgow, by the way. It's full of them.

Rangers as im a protestant living in Northern Ireland lol

also after are defeat on monday i refused to wear my newcastle top untill are next win hopefully today!

but after rangers excellent victory in the champions leauge i wore my rangers top with pride lol

i dont really support rangers just like to see them win been to 3 rangers games and have yet to make it over to St James!

Guest geordie01

also after are defeat on monday i refused to wear my newcastle top untill are next win hopefully today!

but after rangers excellent victory in the champions leauge i wore my rangers top with pride lol

i dont really support rangers just like to see them win been to 3 rangers games and have yet to make it over to St James!

you're a tit tbh.....and learn to spell

If you take sectarianism out of the Old Firm, it'll cease to be interesting.  Anyone that gets the slightest bit offended by the songs either sets of fans sing seriously needs their face bossed into a wall. 

Incidently, I've never met any Rangers or Celtic fan that does actually get offended by any song.  They all sing them, then the next day get back to work with their catholic and protestant mates that they 24 hours previously hated.  It all means jackshit, and it is, once again, people getting offended on other people's behalf.

The reason they have more scumbag fans than most other teams isn't because of the religious side or hatred, but because of Glasgow, by the way.  It's full of them.

couldnt be any more true

If you take sectarianism out of the Old Firm, it'll cease to be interesting.  Anyone that gets the slightest bit offended by the songs either sets of fans sing seriously needs their face bossed into a wall. 

Incidently, I've never met any Rangers or Celtic fan that does actually get offended by any song.  They all sing them, then the next day get back to work with their catholic and protestant mates that they 24 hours previously hated.  It all means jackshit, and it is, once again, people getting offended on other people's behalf.

The reason they have more scumbag fans than most other teams isn't because of the religious side or hatred, but because of Glasgow, by the way.  It's full of them.

Good post.

Mind, a lot of people like to make out they're offended, it makes them feel important.

you're a tit tbh.....and learn to spell

How about go and fuck yourself?

I prefer Rangers as celtic are a bunch of IRA loving twats who should piss off to ireland if they love the place so much, all their fans are arseholes,

• 3 months later...

As a catholic you would think I should prefer Celtic, but I don't, I can't stand them.  I can't stand Rangers neither.  I had no idea how each of their support perceived their position in the footballing world till maybe 2000.  Celtic fans honestly believe they're one of the top 10 clubs in the world, while Rangers fans honestly believe their 51 league titles in a joke league make them the most succesful club in the world.

What annoys me is when they're referred to as massive clubs.  They're utterly irrelevant to me and to the vast majority of English people.  Clubs like Aston Villa and Blackburn are better known around the world due to the league they play in. Back to this massive club business.  If you speak to any jock they'll say the same thing even if they don't support Celtic or Rangers.  These two massive clubs had NEVER averaged over 40,000 in their histories till the 1990's, Rangers 1992 and Celtic 1997.  These two massive clubs could barely get 10,000 in the 80's at many, many, many games.  When have 4,985 turned out for a league game to watch Newcastle?  That's what Celtic got in 1984.  Their support is a myth, and to me they will never be a "big club".  "We had 80,000 in Seville", when the Spanish police said 50 tops.  They're full of self promotion, when do Man Utd fans ever claim to be a big club, they don't have to because it's obvious, but Celtic fans feel the need to tell everyone what a club they are, with massive signings like, Mark Wilson and Scott McDonald, because clearly they're insecure about how they are perceived.

Asid from the big club myth, and that's what it is, the  general lack of class amongst both supports is astonishing.  Celtic fans are worse though, they always like to be the victim in the same way Liverpool fans do.  Sinned against rather than sinners.  They claim to be the victim of sectarian abuse from the nasty huns, when their vile bigotry is every bit as bad.  "Brits Out", why don't they fuck off to Ireland?  They also love to cry conspiracy, and cry about the biased SFA and SPL being orange order members, and point at the fact that Rangers had 2 more pens in a season as the ultimate proof.  They call the jock media Rangers supporters too, "The Hunday Mail", "The Daily Hun" etc etc..... when Rangers supporters who are cunts too, get a far rougher ride than Celtic's fans do.  All in all I don't think there are a bigger bunch of tossers in the UK than Celtic fans, they're nothing, they had one good season in 1967, and fluked their way to the UEFA final in 2003, yet anyone would think they are Barcelona.