Old Firm

Heron
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest fatshaft

As a catholic you would think I should prefer Celtic, but I don't, I can't stand them.  I can't stand Rangers neither.  I had no idea how each of their support perceived their position in the footballing world till maybe 2000.  Celtic fans honestly believe they're one of the top 10 clubs in the world, while Rangers fans honestly believe their 51 league titles in a joke league make them the most succesful club in the world.

What annoys me is when they're referred to as massive clubs.  They're utterly irrelevant to me and to the vast majority of English people.  Clubs like Aston Villa and Blackburn are better known around the world due to the league they play in. Back to this massive club business.  If you speak to any jock they'll say the same thing even if they don't support Celtic or Rangers.  These two massive clubs had NEVER averaged over 40,000 in their histories till the 1990's, Rangers 1992 and Celtic 1997.  These two massive clubs could barely get 10,000 in the 80's at many, many, many games.  When have 4,985 turned out for a league game to watch Newcastle?  That's what Celtic got in 1984.  Their support is a myth, and to me they will never be a "big club".  "We had 80,000 in Seville", when the Spanish police said 50 tops.  They're full of self promotion, when do Man Utd fans ever claim to be a big club, they don't have to because it's obvious, but Celtic fans feel the need to tell everyone what a club they are, with massive signings like, Mark Wilson and Scott McDonald, because clearly they're insecure about how they are perceived.

Asid from the big club myth, and that's what it is, the  general lack of class amongst both supports is astonishing.  Celtic fans are worse though, they always like to be the victim in the same way Liverpool fans do.  Sinned against rather than sinners.  They claim to be the victim of sectarian abuse from the nasty huns, when their vile bigotry is every bit as bad.  "Brits Out", why don't they f*** off to Ireland?  They also love to cry conspiracy, and cry about the biased SFA and SPL being orange order members, and point at the fact that Rangers had 2 more pens in a season as the ultimate proof.  They call the jock media Rangers supporters too, "The Hunday Mail", "The Daily Hun" etc etc..... when Rangers supporters who are c***s too, get a far rougher ride than Celtic's fans do.  All in all I don't think there are a bigger bunch of tossers in the UK than Celtic fans, they're nothing, they had one good season in 1967, and fluked their way to the UEFA final in 2003, yet anyone would think they are Barcelona.

Wow, I agree with some of that, a few points are a bit ary though. The crowds one is good mind, it lives long in all Scottish fan's memories, the night in the mid 80s when Rangers got less than 3000 to a Premier League game. They (and Celtic) are glory hunters of the highest order, although Rangers are worse in this respect.

Some of your points however are Celtic bashing for the sake of it. Everyone in Scotland calls the Daily Hun, and Hunday Mail that, it's not a Celtic preserve because it is by and large just the Rangers News transported into a daily national papaer. Most would also claim that Rangers get favoured by the SFA and Scottish LEague, although Celtic are a very close second.

In defence of them both, neither set of fans really go on about being a big club in the way you claim, they follow what you quote as being the Man U style, which is that they know they are big clubs and don;t bother telling everyone about it. I do however agree that they mean nothing in England, but that's because you're English and anything SPL is looked down upon. Really, Celtic and Rangers are big names worldwide, much as that pains me to say so.

I detect a slight smarting after Souness' (was him I think? )comments on Sunday perhaps when he asked why would Gordon Strachan move to a smaller club like Newcastle, or that he'd managed much bigger clubs than Newcastle such as Rangers etc.....?

Is that the real reason for the rant?

As a catholic you would think I should prefer Celtic, but I don't, I can't stand them.  I can't stand Rangers neither.  I had no idea how each of their support perceived their position in the footballing world till maybe 2000.  Celtic fans honestly believe they're one of the top 10 clubs in the world, while Rangers fans honestly believe their 51 league titles in a joke league make them the most succesful club in the world.

What annoys me is when they're referred to as massive clubs.  They're utterly irrelevant to me and to the vast majority of English people.  Clubs like Aston Villa and Blackburn are better known around the world due to the league they play in. Back to this massive club business.  If you speak to any jock they'll say the same thing even if they don't support Celtic or Rangers.  These two massive clubs had NEVER averaged over 40,000 in their histories till the 1990's, Rangers 1992 and Celtic 1997.  These two massive clubs could barely get 10,000 in the 80's at many, many, many games.  When have 4,985 turned out for a league game to watch Newcastle?  That's what Celtic got in 1984.  Their support is a myth, and to me they will never be a "big club".  "We had 80,000 in Seville", when the Spanish police said 50 tops.  They're full of self promotion, when do Man Utd fans ever claim to be a big club, they don't have to because it's obvious, but Celtic fans feel the need to tell everyone what a club they are, with massive signings like, Mark Wilson and Scott McDonald, because clearly they're insecure about how they are perceived.

Asid from the big club myth, and that's what it is, the  general lack of class amongst both supports is astonishing.  Celtic fans are worse though, they always like to be the victim in the same way Liverpool fans do.  Sinned against rather than sinners.  They claim to be the victim of sectarian abuse from the nasty huns, when their vile bigotry is every bit as bad.  "Brits Out", why don't they f*** off to Ireland?  They also love to cry conspiracy, and cry about the biased SFA and SPL being orange order members, and point at the fact that Rangers had 2 more pens in a season as the ultimate proof.  They call the jock media Rangers supporters too, "The Hunday Mail", "The Daily Hun" etc etc..... when Rangers supporters who are c***s too, get a far rougher ride than Celtic's fans do.  All in all I don't think there are a bigger bunch of tossers in the UK than Celtic fans, they're nothing, they had one good season in 1967, and fluked their way to the UEFA final in 2003, yet anyone would think they are Barcelona.

Wow, I agree with some of that, a few points are a bit ary though. The crowds one is good mind, it lives long in all Scottish fan's memories, the night in the mid 80s when Rangers got less than 3000 to a Premier League game. They (and Celtic) are glory hunters of the highest order, although Rangers are worse in this respect.

Some of your points however are Celtic bashing for the sake of it. Everyone in Scotland calls the Daily Hun, and Hunday Mail that, it's not a Celtic preserve because it is by and large just the Rangers News transported into a daily national papaer. Most would also claim that Rangers get favoured by the SFA and Scottish LEague, although Celtic are a very close second.

In defence of them both, neither set of fans really go on about being a big club in the way you claim, they follow what you quote as being the Man U style, which is that they know they are big clubs and don;t bother telling everyone about it. I do however agree that they mean nothing in England, but that's because you're English and anything SPL is looked down upon. Really, Celtic and Rangers are big names worldwide, much as that pains me to say so.

I detect a slight smarting after Souness' (was him I think? )comments on Sunday perhaps when he asked why would Gordon Strachan move to a smaller club like Newcastle, or that he'd managed much bigger clubs than Newcastle such as Rangers etc.....?

A much more balanced view! Celtic are a massive, massive team worldwide. Rangers probably not quite the same in terms of worldwide support but Celtic have the Irish appeal aswell as the Scottish.

They're full of self promotion, when do Man Utd fans ever claim to be a big club, they don't have to because it's obvious, but Celtic fans feel the need to tell everyone what a club they are, with massive signings like, Mark Wilson and Scott McDonald, because clearly they're insecure about how they are perceived.

First bolded bit - Man United fans still do tell people what a big club they are, though - listen to their fans go on and on about their away support, for a start. Like they need to prove anything. They're a mega club, but their fans are frequently very, very smalltime. I think part of it is insecurity borne of the fact that their ground these days is full of once-a-season daytripping southerners, coach parties from Dublin, corporate prawn-botherers, Singaporean glory hunters and retards frantically taking photographs every ten seconds.

There's an element of all the above at almost every PL ground these days, but obviously much worse at Man U.

Second bolded bit - to be fair, the reason they sign dross like that is because they can't attract better players due to their shit league, but also because they've not got a pot to piss in, financially. Celtic get 2m a year telly revenue from the SPL. This year the relegated side from the PL gets 30m.

I don't really care about Scottish football beyond the fact that Villa have traditionally had strong links with the country back to our foundation, and a lot of our great figures were Scots. Modern Scottish football doesn't really interest me.

A lot of English clubs have strong historical ties to Scotland. Newcastle's history is absolutely full of Scottish players and managers. Nowadays, I could not give a toss. I don't even care whether they're bigots or not. It's their fucking problem.

Bollocks.  There's been a Scottish fan, usually Celtic,  popping up on every football phone-in over the last few days saying how Newcastle aren't a big club and they are.

but Celtic fans feel the need to tell everyone what a club they are, with massive signings like, Mark Wilson and Scott McDonald, because clearly they're insecure about how they are perceived.

Nottrophysigningtastic

Scott McDonald is the SPLs top scorer and Wilson was regarded as one the best young full backs in the country when he signed and after what looked like a good start to his career at Celtic picked up a few injuries and had yet to show the same form that earned him a move to Celtic.  I certainly had him down as a potential full back for the national team before his loss of form.

Both the Old Firm have had many "trophy signings" that have failed, what does it matter where they came from or how much they cost if they are effective signings. 

GREAT FANS......

not only are youse bigoted but also racist...

not alot of fans sing ftp? seems a whole away following to me

Talk about selective !!!!

Yeah, of course there are racist/sectarian pillocks amongst Rangers fans - and theres JUST AS MANY, just as great, a percentage (at least !) amongst Celtic fans - who is it, pray tell, who sing pro-IRA terrorist songs, (and still do !) for example ?

A curse on BOTH their houses as far as I'm concerned.

They are BOTH racist and sectarian - to try to present one side as worse just shows your own bias more than theirs.

A lot of English clubs have strong historical ties to Scotland. Newcastle's history is absolutely full of Scottish players and managers. Nowadays, I could not give a toss. I don't even care whether they're bigots or not. It's their f****** problem.

And meanwhile here we see the TRUE attitude we should take to them. Applause applause - Great stuff mate, my thoughts exaclty.

Celtic!

Anyone who wanted to see Ireland free from British domination couldn't support a team that plays in red, white and blue and allows a goalkeeper to wear a blackarm band after a sectarian murder was finally brought to justice.

So Celtic for me.

Celtic!

Anyone who wanted to see Ireland free from British domination couldn't support a team that plays in red, white and blue and allows a goalkeeper to wear a blackarm band after a sectarian murder was finally brought to justice.

So Celtic for me.

Sectarian tit.

Guest fatshaft

Bollocks.  There's been a Scottish fan, usually Celtic,  popping up on every football phone-in over the last few days saying how Newcastle aren't a big club and they are.

Clinches it for me then.  :kasper:

Guest fatshaft

Celtic!

So Celtic for me.

Sectarian tit.

:clap:

Sectarian, for not supporting a team whose goalkeeper commemortated a murder who had been jailed for killing of innocent catholics, i think you have that upisde down.

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Not just them - I recall when Newcastle were first promoted under KK and we were Ally McCoists choice for his testiminial, and there were several Rangers fans complaining about the choice - one turd called us a "Glorified pub team of no attraction" w****r.

So they both have the same bloated opinion of their own importance, the pair of them.

They keep harping on about what they'd do in the Prem - let them stay where they are and ROT.

Sectarian, for not supporting a team whose goalkeeper commemortated a murder who had been jailed for killing of innocent catholics, i think you have that upisde down.

Tiocfaidh ár lá

P*ss off and drown in your own bigotry.

What kind of toss*r celebrates religous murderers ? You lot and islamic fanatics thats who.

A much more balanced view! Celtic are a massive, massive team worldwide. Rangers probably not quite the same in terms of worldwide support but Celtic have the Irish appeal aswell as the Scottish.

I disagree.  I've been to plenty places abroad never seen anything connected to Celtic.  When they play in America they play to crowds of less than 20,000, because there's no interest in them.  Man Utd play to full houses of 80,000 in America, they are an example of a massive, massive club, not Celtic mate.  Where else is their fanbase?  Australia?  They have the West of Scotland and Ireland.  They wouldn't even scratch the surface of Man Utd, Liverpool or even Arsenal on a worldwide scale, and as far as the UK is concerned I doubt they have significantly more supporters than us, if at all, same with Rangers.