Scandanavian Toon Fans

Stevie

Reading a few posts on here today has emphasised one thing to me, we have fuckin loads of Scandanavian fans.  When we played Lillestrom the other week we had 2,000 fans there, maybe half were Scandanavian Mags.

There are a few people on here who believe you should only support your local club, but you to give credit to these Scandanavian toon fans, they could easily support Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal, but they support the toon and I think that shows they're not gloryhunters, something about Newcastle appealed to them when they were young and they've stuck by us.  Look at Ikon who's from Sweden, he drove 10 hours there and back to see us in Norway, that's dedication.  So if 1,000+ toon fans turn out for us over there in the Intertoto Cup, imagine how many would turn out if we say played a European Cup final in Denmark, added to the 50-60,000 English based toon fans, maybe there'd be 10,000+ Scandanavian Mags.

Top marks you have my respect  :thup:

The only thing is when we become succesful you loyal Swedes, Danes, Norwegians, and Finns (they're more Russian than Scandanavian?) will be called glory seekers, which won't be fair, because we'll get even more fans.

aye i've always known we had loads of fans in sweden etc. many people come to shop at the metrocentre, and its the closest uk city. class i think

http://www.imaginail.se/bilder/scandinavia.gif :thumbsup:

aye i've always known we had loads of fans in sweden etc. many people come to shop at the metrocentre, and its the closest uk city. class i think

http://www.imaginail.se/bilder/scandinavia.gif :thumbsup:

Aye and apparently many many geordie words are more or less shared by the Danes, gann, hyem etc...

scandinavia :thumbsup:

Aye and apparently many many geordie words are more or less shared by the Danes, gann, hyem etc...

aye, geordies and scandinavians are both partly vikings

main port city for scandinavia is newcastle

http://www.5stars-of-scandinavia.com/cruises/DFDSmap.gif

Guest Ante77

Thanks alot for those kind words.

Myself started to follow Newcastle on a more regular basis after the buy 96. Thought it was the coolest of transfers, the king was back in his neighbourhood. You all know which transfers i refer to  :)

Anyway, it has not always been easy to follow, but after internet and a channel in Sweden called Canal+ started to show PL we can see pretty much everything that happens at St James Park. I can say for myself, it doesn´t go a day bye that I don´t read in this forum, or in www.magpies.nu which is are the home for Toon Army Sweden. Great forum there too :)

Gloryseekers my a**  :lol:

So thanks and maybe see you at gallowgate this season.

Guest Peter Pan

and Finns (they're more Russian than Scandanavian?)

:wullie:  :angryfire: :stevieintoon:  :bigbro: :winking: :lol:

Well you all look like Mart Poom, look at Kassu.  Am only messing, but I thought Finns were closer to Russia than Swedes and Norwegians, in terms of language and genetics.

Well you all look like Mart Poom, look at Kassu.  Am only messing, but I thought Finns were closer to Russia than Swedes and Norwegians, in terms of language and genetics.

The soviet union doesnt exist anymore. These days the friends of Martin Poom have their own country called Estonia

What it comes to our origin. IIRC we are 1/4 from somewhere in ural and 3/4 from europe. Mostly related to the Balts and Germanic people. Language wise estonian and hungay are the closest. So you are right about us not being so much related to swedes and norwegians stevie.

I think the theories are changing pretty much every week when they found some cool bones though.

Guest Bellers

Next year, I'm thinking of moving from this shithole (England). I have family in both Canada and Scandanavia, and I'm currently deciding where I could go. Scandanavia seems a very nice area though and the general standard of life seems to be very good.

bluelaugh.gif

You thought wrong. They're even using different kind of letters in Russia. Our language is quite unique, a bit like hungarian and estonian. Perkele! From what I've heard we're a mix-up of people from all around the northern Europe.

Our local BBC has televised Premier League since 70's or something and therefore it's quite popular in here. Perhaps a bit too popular since our domestic league is widely ignored by the footy people. Hopefully it gets better as the time goes on.

ManU and Liverpool etc. have naturally most of the support but mainly because of the mid-90's success, there are plenty of NUFC supporters, including me of course.

Next year, I'm thinking of moving from this shithole (England). I have family in both Canada and Scandanavia, and I'm currently deciding where I could go. Scandanavia seems a very nice area though and the general standard of life seems to be very good.

Aye but for long spells of the year it's always dark.  We whinge in the winter because we only get 8 hours daylight, these poor cunts are over the moon if they get one some of the time, which along with the beer prices contributes to the fact that Sweden and Finland have the highest suicide rates in the world. 

Guest Gemmill

I'm pretty sure Canada has the highest standard of living in the world in surveys. 

Guest JPFIN

In Scandanavian objectively, which British clubs have a bigger following than Newcastle?

Manu, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea(since Abramovitsh) and maybe Spurs (just a guess).

Guest teepee

thank you for that notice - the scandinavian newcastle fans today certainly aren't glory hunters  :lol: those who came after our brief flirting with success under keegan are gone, so the rest of us truly support newcastle.

myself, i had the opportunity to see us play at st james park years ago against manure - after that i was sold. i've supported newcastle ever since, to a degree most danes cannot understand - as most of them are fucking glory hunters in their man u and chelski tops!

Guest teepee

In Scandanavian objectively, which British clubs have a bigger following than Newcastle?

Manu, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea(since Abramovitsh) and maybe Spurs (just a guess).

yes - something like that - there are quite a few old pool boys left from the 80/90's..... and a couple of neverton (aka hate liverpoolers)

For some reason, I reckon Aston Villa and Wolverhampton are pretty well supported here in Sweden. Probably because of Mellberg in Villa, but Wolves were the first team to be shown a lot on Swedish television.

scandinavia :thumbsup:

aye, geordies and scandinavians are both partly vikings

main port city for scandinavia is newcastle

http://www.5stars-of-scandinavia.com/cruises/DFDSmap.gif

What the hell does a picture of some cruise firm's destinations has to do with all this

First of all, good post, i have had many discussions with Newcastle fans thinking that Newcastle fans from other countries are just gloryhunters. I've been following Newcastle since 1994 the first season in the Premiership, and i've never even once considered cheering another team.

n the start it was mainly from playing championship manager, but then I started watching english football each saturday, unfortunately danish tv lost the rights in the mid 90es, so now i have to go to the local pub, but a good game and a couple of pints ain't that bad either :)

I was in Newcastle for the first time in april, and it was awsome, the city, the game (Shearer's last home game vs Wigan, 2 goals) was amazing and people were very friendly to us and I will definitely come back this season.

I think that I speak for most scandinavian toon fans when I say that we're not gloryhunters, we might not be born in Newcastle or in Geordieland or even England, but we still cheer the team each week every season.

Thanks, kind words :)

To be fair though, the blood that runs through my veins are as much Geordie as Swedish. But still, I support the Toon more than my local team in Sweden, AIK (which are known to have the most loyal fans in Sweden, btw :p)

Since we are on the topic of Newcastle fans outside newcastle how many sites/forums are dedicated to Newcastle outside the uk or even 'fan clubs'? Just interested to see what kind of support we have outside England.