Scandanavian Toon Fans

Stevie

Malmö is real Finnish team, not only they have Johansson and Litmanen, but also been linked with Toni Kallio, Ari "se Interin jätkä" Nyman and.. was it Hermanni Vuorinen too. Also they were interested in Sami Hyypiä, but he's not interested to play there. Also you guys signed Ola Toivonen didn't you? He's half Swedish, half Finnish or sumthin.

There are lots of Finns in Sweden at the moment. I mean footballers.

Guest MalcolmSm1th

When I lived in Norway I remember getting the Sunday sports paper and the back page would be a list of all the Norwegian branches of football club supporter groups.  And almost every team, even down to the then fourth division, would have a fan club somewhere in Norway.  Incredible!

There's no surprise that there's a huge connection in the language between the Geordie or North-Eastern and Norwegian.  Before the railway line was built between Bergean and Oslo the nearest city in the winter to Bergen would be Newcastle.    There's lots of similar words in the language, see if you can spot a few:

hjem (home), barn (child), fjell (mountain or fell), bekk (beck), kirk (church)

and, as I am finding here from the days of the Norwegian support for the Gwynedd Princes (before the days of Edward I) there's some words in Welsh which have clearly come from Norwegian.

Someone mentioned the possibility of living there.  If you have a half decent paid job then do so; it's a fantasic country, the people are wonderful and fun.  The beer may be dear but it isn't as bad as it was about 20 years when I was there as the prices are still the same as they were then.

The summers are wonderful; the parties throughout the nights in the light are fantastic and are usually spent at someone's house or on an island in a fjord somewhere.  And the winters are really good too; it's cold but dry and great fun learning to ski.  The only time of year that I didn't like was the two week period what I called 'The Melt' when everything started to melt.  It's not just the slush which was a pain but the fact that there would be strata of dog shit coming out in April from last September in great lumps; yes, in two weeks you'd find six months of dog muck appearing.  I always made it a point to be in Belgium for that period after my first time there.

They've got proper woodland.  Want to go for a walk in the woods?  Start at Oslo and finish off in the Artic Circle. 

It's a magic country and in some ways I wish that I never left there.    Worth visiting at least.

When i was on holiday in Lanzarote we met a Norwegian family. Possibly some of the nicest people you could meet.

When in a bar he would buy the drinks and he even payed for us (3 people) to go to a water park. As long as we talked to him about the Premiership, Newcastle and Man Utd. He wanted to visit the country and more imparticular all the Premiership grounds.

He supported Man U, but had a fondness for Newcastle because of the rivalry during the 90's between the two sides.

Wouldn't mind going to Scandinavia, thought i might be off to Sweden until we got beat off Marseille in the UEFA Cup semi a few seasons ago.

In Helsinki its a pretty even split between NUFC, Manure, L'pool, Arse and then theres a fair few Spurs. Chelsea didnt have that many 4years ago, but since Abro took over, their fan base has suprisingly trebled and they have their own 'Sport Pub Chelsea'  :roll:

And how true, it would be the easiest thing in the world for them to pick Chelsea, Man U or Arse to support and be guarenteed trophies, but they chose NUFC..... shows its a lot more than glory supporting.

In Helsinki there was a tournament at Finnair stadium each summer, between the fans clubs of the UK teams, NUFC didnt win that either...

oh, and DFDS has stopped the Shields-Goteborg ferry link now...

I visited Newcastle last year, but that was to visit some friends of mine, and it was unfortunately during the summer so I didn't get a chance to attend a game. But yeah, I've never really noticed that Newcastle was a greatly supported team in Norway. Though, I do come from a rather small town so the variation of football fans probably isn't too great.

Good to see that there's loads of us scandinavians supporting the team, I've always felt kinda left alone since I didn't really know about anyone else in my town, or country, supporting the team. But then came ze Internet, and here I am now :p Makes me feel warm inside.

So it looks like we'll have 4 danish teams in next round of the UEFA cup, 3 of them will be unseeded, by god I hope Newcastle will meet one of those team, would be great to have Newcastle in Denmark.

Agree, I might go to one if the toon is in denmark!

Guest TheDutchman

Next year, I'm thinking of moving from this shithole (England). I have family in both Canada and Scandanavia, and I'm currently deciding where I could go. Scandanavia seems a very nice area though and the general standard of life seems to be very good.

You consider England as a shithole? Never went to Holland I guess.  Id rather live in England. Beautiful country, friendly people.

My country is so overpopulated. The traffic is a disaster. And most people get frustated for no reason.

Next year, I'm thinking of moving from this shithole (England). I have family in both Canada and Scandanavia, and I'm currently deciding where I could go. Scandanavia seems a very nice area though and the general standard of life seems to be very good.

Where in Scandinavia?

When I lived in Norway I remember getting the Sunday sports paper and the back page would be a list of all the Norwegian branches of football club supporter groups.  And almost every team, even down to the then fourth division, would have a fan club somewhere in Norway.  Incredible!

even Stenhousemuir and Cowdenbeath of the Scottish 3rd division have Norweigan supporters branches!, mad

here's 1

http://www.stenhousemuir.com/ (it's not the official site before you say)

I believe we have tons of "non Glory Hunter" fans spread around the world.

I know there are hundreds NUFC fans in my country (It used to be thousands in mid 90's), and I've heard that Singapore and Korea has many NUFC fans.

I'd like to hear about our based fans in another country too, if anyone have the information.

Almost all my friends support Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and some of them support Chelsea.

No way in hell you can imagine how much shit i have got from my friends through all these years that i have supported NUFC.

It happened everywhere, believed me.