Roeder: Luque will Shine

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

www.nufc.co.uk

Boss Tips Albert To Shine

By Gary Oliver

GLENN Roeder believes Albert Luque will be eager to impress when fellow Spaniards Villarreal come to St. James' Park for a pre-season friendly.

The former Deportivo La Coruna man has scored at the Gallowgate End in each of his last three outings on Tyneside - in Alan Shearer's Testimonial against Celtic, the Intertoto Cup tie with Lillestrom and the friendly with PSV Eindhoven last weekend.

And Roeder is sure Luque would love to maintain that scoring streak against his old La Liga rivals.

He told nufc.co.uk: "When Albert came on as a sub against PSV he did well.

"I got a lot of encouragement from Albert's performance in the second half and he'll have a good weeks training between then and Villarreal.

"I've given some of the lads a few days off this week, but I'm looking to get a good week out of Albert and I'm looking forward to seeing how he performs against Villarreal.

"Being a Spanish club, I'm sure he'll want to do very well against them."

Luque netted from the penalty spot against PSV in the 3-2 defeat and set up a chance for James Milner at the death, only for the youngster to fail to convert for an equaliser.

Roeder added: "Albert has the ability to unlock a defence, and it was a wonderful turn to put in James Milner for an equaliser, but he rushed the shot.

"He was also fighting others to get the ball when the penalty was awarded as he very much wanted to take it.

"I thought I got an excellent response from Albert on Saturday and I told him that's what I'm looking for.

"There were positive signs. We're playing a Spanish club this Saturday and I'm sure he'll want to have a good week training and be in the starting line up."

Similar story in today's Chronicle... everyone's favourite journo still doesn't seem convinced:

Unfortunately for Luque, while he clearly has bags of skill he lacks the one thing Roeder desperately needs up front for the new season - pace.

This is going to make it difficult for the 28-year-old to play regular first-team football this season.

And just as I expect to see Jean Alain Boumsong returning to France, I can see Luque heading off the Spain at some time in the near future.

Guest Gemmill

Good stuff.  Pleased that Roeder is sounding positive about him.  We could really do with him coming good.

Guest smoggeordie

Similar story in today's Chronicle... everyone's favourite journo still doesn't seem convinced:

Unfortunately for Luque, while he clearly has bags of skill he lacks the one thing Roeder desperately needs up front for the new season - pace.

This is going to make it difficult for the 28-year-old to play regular first-team football this season.

And just as I expect to see Jean Alain Boumsong returning to France, I can see Luque heading off the Spain at some time in the near future.

Luque isn't exactly slow though. Quicker than quite a few we've been linked with.

Guest Verlaine

It's all just a clever ploy by Roeder to build Luque up, then further undermine his confidence when he drops him from the ENTIRE SQUAD on Saturday.

Guest smoggeordie

Exactly, not to mention the fact that he probably wasn't ever running at full-pelt last season after his injury. Wasn't my opinion, btw, just Oliver's.

Aye, I know :D

He sounded well up for the psv game when he came on and that's what Roeder seemed to want from him.

I dont think he's a lazy player just I think he's the sort of player who looks as though he doesn't care and isn't trying even though he is putting in just as much effort as the players around him.

I'm really glad that Roeder has confidence in him. Roeder wants him to stay I reckon and I really think he wants to stay. A starting place on Saturday will help him and the team. When we went 4-4-2 last week, we completely changed our approach.

Guest smoggeordie

Oh great another fucking Luque thread.

Where's that Shepherd thread, I need to cheer myself up?

Yawnariffic tbh. If the thread doesn't interest you, don't post in it.

Not having a go at you mate. But you KNOW this thread is going to go exactly the same way as dozens before it.

Guest smoggeordie

Not having a go at you mate. But you KNOW this thread is going to go exactly the same way as dozens before it.

Well move it into the other Luque thread then. You have the power ;)

Well move it into the other Luque thread then. You have the power ;)

There's about a billion. We need a set Luque thread like we have a set Board one, so the select few can call him a 'gutless Spanish twat' to their heart's content.

Guest smoggeordie

I'm sure the gadgies from .cock are members on here because they've just put up the second Lookay article of the day :lol:

Nobby and Seamus want him to do well is the new headline news.

I'm sure the gadgies from .cock are members on here because they've just put up the second Lookay article of the day :lol:

Start a new thread and you're having a week off. :wink:

Guest smoggeordie

Start a new thread and you're having a week off. :wink:

Believe me, I was tempted :lol: