Formula 1

24 minutes ago, STM said:

Reckon RB should take the engine penalty this weekend. They aren't beating Hamilton at Monza and they have plenty of overtaking opportunities to get themselves back up to 2nd.

Could be game changing for the championship, he’ll get his way back through the field too.

Looking at these times they've just set in Q2 might be worth it. 

I can see both McLaren's being between the Merc and red bull all weekend. If Lewis wins and max comes 4th or 5th that's a huge points difference

1 hour ago, neesy111 said:

Bottas has taken new engine I see.

I don't know why I never saw Bottas pole coming. With him going to Alpha this was always going to happen. New engine the key.

Verstappen is fighting for 2nd, simple as that. He needs to do what Lewis does when the latter hasn't the pace, still keep the pressure on.

10 minutes ago, STM said:

I don't know why I never saw Bottas pole coming. With him going to Alpha this was always going to happen. New engine the key.

Verstappen is fighting for 2nd, simple as that. He needs to do what Lewis does when the latter hasn't the pace, still keep the pressure on.

McLaren's are very close to Red Bull this weekend, would not be surprised if they jumped him in the tomorrow or on Sunday.

Just now, Adam said:

They need to spice it up a bit more. I'd say slightly longer but with one pit stop needed. 

So a grand prix? 

Honestly it’s a terrible format, we lost laps with the crash and then because it’s so short there’s nothing that can happen because the tyres hold up too well. 

Can't say I'm a fan of it. 

Beyond the first few laps nothing really happens. There's no strategy considerations. Tyres probably don't matter. And once positions have bedded in it's probably not worth it to make too much of a move to gain a place because of how much you might ruin your chances for the next day. 

It could do with being either shorter or longer. I don't think longer is really an option as it turns into the GP. Maybe half the current length?

Worst part is that Ross Brawn seems to be oblivious to the fans distaste for it claiming today was “filled with action” sky sports seem to be turning a blind eye to how bad it is too.

Could it be that the corporate sponsors now linked to the sprint awards don’t want them to stop…

Quali, sprint race and GP is more laps, more fans inside and more action (in theory). That's going to mean longer coverage on tv, more ads, more ticket income and (in theory) more tv viewers. Money wins...

Nothing wrong with Q1, 2 and 3 followed by a good race imo (bit of rain always helps). Does feel like the Sprint is there for non-motor racing reasons though, the most exciting part of a GP is the first 10 corners or so and if you've got that twice on a weekend then double the fun for the (paying) public. 

Disagree, it's been setup for the right reasons but the current cars are too hard to overtake with.  The sprint races in other categories are really good.  Next year should be a better gauge of whether it's a good idea.

1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

Disagree, it's been setup for the right reasons but the current cars are too hard to overtake with.  The sprint races in other categories are really good.  Next year should be a better gauge of whether it's a good idea.

Fair enough, time will tell :thup:

Just get the impression that it's going to be a bit of a procession as the consequences of overtaking and getting it 1% wrong are really costly. It seems to be a risk adverse procession which can't be entertaining for anyone tbh. Hope they can find a compromise as today was as dull as it gets imo.