Steve McClaren

Dave

Dissapointed with Round not returning. Very highly rated coach, along with alan irvine who also should never have left they made Everton tick under moyes.

Liking keeping woodman though blatantly know he is off to Palace  it want some compo. I fully expect Steele to come here when palace make their move.

Dissapointed with Round not returning. Very highly rated coach, along with alan irvine who also should never have left they made Everton tick under moyes.

Liking keeping woodman though blatantly know he is off to Palace  it want some compo. I fully expect Steele to come here when palace make their move.

Round might be coming in too?

Chronicle: Steve Round will join Newcastle’s coaching staff after Steve McClaren’s appointment today #nufc

In summary, Derby are a well run club who identify talent they can bring in below the going rate at other clubs in the league.  Both managers mentioned in the article are, at the very least, competent.

Man, I feel a lot better about supporting NUFC now than I did a week or so back. Baby steps, but steps in the right direction nonetheless.

Aye, this is pretty much me too. I'm sick of hating everything to do with the club and I want it to work so I can start to go back to how I was regarding the club. Being negative as fuck is starting to wear pretty thin and I just want to start enjoying NUFC again, McClaren's not who wanted but he's got it now so I'll just wait and see how it goes for a year. Binning Carver and Stone is a biggie for me, a bit of investment in 5 or 6 quality players would help and if he's as good a coach as I've heard then it augurs well.

I want it to work.  :(

Same here. It feels like a massive weight has been lifted and the sackpardew.com campaign has been vindicated. Of course Ashley is still here but he was always going to be harder to shift. We can only hope that with McClaren being allowed to bring his own team here that the club has realised you can only get so far by taking the piss.

McClaren wouldn't have been my choice for manager but I'm encouraged by Derby fans high regard for him. Really looking forward to next season now to see if he can make a difference.

Carver and Stone was a good move.

Better moves once appointed should be getting rid of Gouffran, Obertan, Willo, Riv & Saylor.

I'll never understand this sort of outlook, unless you mean getting rid of them over time. I mean the team is already thin, as much as the players you've listed are indeed pants we still need a 'squad' of players and I can't imagine we're likely to see any massive influx anytime soon.

That aside though, I hope you're right that Shuper-Mac does make better choices with the teams he picks from what we have available - it's not like he'll have much say in who we'll buy, that's for sure.

They need to go, when that happens I don't care but they all need weeding out.

Former Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd has revealed how he and Alan Shearer tried to ‘steal’ Steve McClaren from Middlesbrough 10 years ago.

McClaren is set to be confirmed as Newcastle’s head coach later today as permanent successor to Alan Pardew.

But Shepherd has revealed McClaren could have beenMagpies manager a decade earlier – but he couldn’t get out of his Boro contract.

Shepherd said: “I applaud Newcastle for bringing McClaren in. I think it’s a great move.

“Alan Shearer persuaded me to have a meeting with him (McClaren) 10 years ago. We tried to steal him from Middlesbrough.

“Alan at the time had said that he was the best coach he had ever trained with.

“It was 10 years ago – I might have been ahead of my time!

“He’s a great guy but unfortunately he was unable to get released by Middlesbrough at the time.”

McClaren was manager of Middlesbrough from 2001 to 2006, winning the only trophy in their history, the League Cup, as well as guiding them to a UEFA Cup final.

McClaren comes in as the seventh boss in eight years under Mike Ashley, and faces a huge task to get United back up the table after their flirt with relegation.

Shepherd insists, however, that Newcastle have the right person in charge.

“I think he is strong enough,” he told Talksport. “I think he will work his own way and be anyone’s fool.

“I think they (Newcastle) always had Steve in mind but negotiations went on a bit longer than anybody thought. But who cares? They’ve got the right guy in my opinion.”

Guest Roger Kint

Hopefully having a couple of people who can coach will make a massive difference. I think commentators etc underestimate how our players have been handicapped and misused over the last few years.

:thup:

Steve Round (on being at Derby) "walking though the door - its good environment, good culture, good people".  He won't be coming back here then!!

I can't imagine fat boy would want him back given he's already sacked him once before and I'm not sure I'd want to go back and work for the person who sacked me.

It's a shame though because it seems he's a good coach.

Guest Roger Kint

Why was Alan training with McClaren?

Was England assistant for a time before/during Boro wasnt he?

“Alan at the time had said that he was the best coach he had ever trained with."

Wow ... loving that bit.

I wonder where Alan trained by him though. He retired from England after Euro 2000 and McC didn't start with England until 2002.