Steve McClaren

Dave

Because it could well be his last chance at the big-time, having done very little to earn the opportunity. He has failed in everything he has done since the title at Twente. He'd be a maniac not to fight for this job to the very, very end.

Plus his relationship with his employer is cushty as fuck.

But now that he's in the job, you kinda have to put to one side the fact he should never have got it. The task is his and he's earned, by default, a go at it. I hold virtually no hope of him transforming the club into something I can fully get behind, but to call for the sack without having proved himself one way or the other is irrational, imo. And utterly futile.

One thing I will say is that rejigging a side to start playing more from the back takes time (maybe that's where the 10 games comes from) and nearly always unless you are Rodgers and flip flop it produces results in the long term. This probably sounds hyper optimistic but I have seen fleeting signs of players trying to do things differently from the Pardew punts and pressing from the bad old days....

Quite a few times one of our CD's has brought the ball all the way past the half way line and played into rotating midfielders or wide to winger in space...

It might not have time to work as we're all aware as games tick by and as others have mentioned McC is somewhat hamstrung by a few disenchanted players which must the nightmare of every manager. I'm not defending his other blunders but there seems to be some method to it all.

Poor fucker he must really be trying to drum it into them.  :sad:

One thing I will say is that rejigging a side to start playing more from the back takes time (maybe that's where the 10 games comes from) and nearly always unless you are Rodgers and flip flop it produces results in the long term. This probably sounds hyper optimistic but I have seen fleeting signs of players trying to do things differently from the Pardew punts and pressing from the bad old days....

Quite a few times one of our CD's has brought the ball all the way past the half way line and played into rotating midfielders or wide to winger in space...

It might not have time to work as we're all aware as games tick by and as others have mentioned McC is somewhat hamstrung by a few disenchanted players which must the nightmare of every manager. I'm not defending his other blunders but there seems to be some method to it all.

Aye, but he just lost his bottle and fucked another decision by dropping Anita for Colback [emoji38]

Yeah but we just don't have the players for a reliable and penetrative 4231. It turns into a 451 first sign of trouble. Couple this with the lack of leadership and intelligence on the pitch and you have a recipe for disaster. We don't have the really solid DM and Winj is finding it hard to penetrate the second line (go past the others covering mf)...Which it seems the plan is when they have the odd chance to make it work. Plus it looks like we have the wrong strikers for this, neither are mobile or have much real pace.

Aye, but he just lost his bottle and f***ed another decision by dropping Anita for Colback [emoji38]

Playing Colback over Anita isn't some catastrophic decision. They offer the exact same thing.

Poor f***er he must really be trying to drum it into them.  :sad:

It actually worked really well on one occasion against Watford that led to de Jong's chance. Mbemba carried it out and they pressed up 4 attackers. He played an incisive ball to Wijnaldum who took it on the turn and immediately ran at the gaps left. 3 passes and we were in a great position.

Poor f***er he must really be trying to drum it into them.  :sad:

It actually worked really well on one occasion against Watford that led to de Jong's chance. Mbemba carried it out and they pressed up 4 attackers. He played an incisive ball to Wijnaldum who took it on the turn and immediately ran at the gaps left. 3 passes and we were in a great position.

Yup.

Aye, but he just lost his bottle and f***ed another decision by dropping Anita for Colback [emoji38]

Playing Colback over Anita isn't some catastrophic decision. They offer the exact same thing.

they really don't :lol:

EDIT: and the point is more that anita was clearly central to his 'playing from the back' style and he dropped it at the first sign of trouble for colback who simply isn't as good in that role

If Taylor gets fit would people consider Mbemba as a DM? Physically he's basically twice as good as Colback or Anita, can carry the ball out on his own, is very comfortable on the ball and can make a forward pass.

Not ideal by any means but could be a solution.

Worth a try.

I still don't think we'll go down, but we'll very likely be within spitting distance of the relegation zone all season. Things will get better because things can't get much worse than the last two performances, which were abject.

He really, badly needs to get the squad motivated. There have been glimpses so far, particularly against Southampton and ManU (which weren't terrible results), of organisation and drive. But it seems the piece of shit preseason, four winless games, two dismissals and the badly-timed international break have severely damaged a mentally weak squad. I'm not absolving them by any means, because those were two appalling performances, but 'everything is terrible and shit forever and we are relegation fodder' is not the reason for those two results imo.

We've got an imbalanced, somewhat disinterested squad that are feeling sorry for themselves - and an average manager who probably doesn't quite fit in terms of style and methodology. But we've also got some talent, here and there, that is capable of playing okay football and picking-up results. He just needs to settle on a system that provides some organisation and get the players motivated again. Then we'll be laughing all the way to 14th place.

We need a couple of results, basically.

If Taylor gets fit would people consider Mbemba as a DM? Physically he's basically twice as good as Colback or Anita, can carry the ball out on his own, is very comfortable on the ball and can make a forward pass.

Not ideal by any means but could be a solution.

Worth a try.

has to be worth considering to try and get us to january so we can buy one :yao:

or until taylor gets injured immediately obvs

Support from the second line doesn't arrive quick enough for the 4141 and clearly Cisse doesn't understand it (the striker first move should be toward the ball and he runs away from it).

The 433 with one holding is the only way I can see of us creating chances with one wing/f told to come inside to make the 2 and the other available for crossing positions.

Would have worked with Hatem and Abeid.  :undecided:

they really don't :lol:

EDIT: and the point is more that anita was clearly central to his 'playing from the back' style and he dropped it at the first sign of trouble for colback who simply isn't as good in that role

They really do. They offer very little consistent presence and very little in the way of passing range, they're both a bit pointless. If anything, the best thing they do when they drop back is allow more space for Colo and Mbemba to distribute. The latter has more zip in his passing than Colback and Anita combined.

I still don't think we'll go down, but we'll very likely be within spitting distance of the relegation zone all season. Things will get better because things can't get much worse than the last two performances, which were abject.

He really, badly needs to get the squad motivated. There have been glimpses so far, particularly against Southampton and ManU (which weren't terrible results), of organisation and drive. But it seems the piece of shit preseason, four winless games, two dismissals and the badly-timed international break have severely damaged a mentally weak squad. I'm not absolving them by any means, because those were two appalling performances, but 'everything is terrible and shit forever and we are relegation fodder' is not the reason for those two results imo.

We've got an imbalanced, somewhat disinterested squad that are feeling sorry for themselves - and an average manager who probably doesn't quite fit in terms of style and methodology. But we've also got some talent, here and there, that is capable of playing okay football and picking-up results. He just needs to settle on a system that provides some organisation and get the players motivated again. Then we'll be laughing all the way to 14th place.

We need a couple of results, basically.

:thup:

Mbemba often ignores the easier shorter pass and plays the more challenging ball forward to a player to start an attack. He's actually quite impressive on the ball and with the ball. Want to see him take it on more like Jan Vertonghen (sp?)