Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest reefatoon

I am thinking there hasn't been an announcement because the board have decided there is nothing wrong and if theres nothing wrong, why would they make a statement? Not buying for time, I reckon concur has helped him come up with that strategy.

Yep, it's their usual "just ignore it and it goes away" strategy.

Guest ElCid

Would take all twitter rumours with a pinch of salt to be honest - I've just been told by a lad I know who knows someone at the Training ground (and is usual a pretty good source) that Moyes is there and he has put 200 knicker based on that info. I just asked well I'm not saying it's wrong but then how would the media not have seen him as they are camped out there. People are either making up things or going off some supposed in the know info when nothing is going to happen imho.

Charnley doesn't want to sack McClaren, as he would have to resign too. That's what this is all about.

The longer it drags on, the bigger fools the owner, and his puppets will look. National media certainly going for it since the weekend.

This.  Ashley gave him the freedom to make this hire.  Charnley must go too.  Serious conflict of interest. 

Charnley doesn't want to sack McClaren, as he would have to resign too. That's what this is all about.

The longer it drags on, the bigger fools the owner, and his puppets will look. National media certainly going for it since the weekend.

This.  Ashley gave him the freedom to make this hire.  Charnley must go too.  Serious conflict of interest. 

Charnley has failed either way, so it's better for him to act now and at least try to save the day.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/08/newcastle-steve-mcclaren-clings-job-rafael-benitez?CMP=share_btn_tw

Steve McClaren continues to cling on as Newcastle United’s manager but is well aware that directors have made contact with representatives of Rafael Benítez and are also interested in hearing what David Moyes and Brendan Rodgers might offer the relegation threatened club.

Lee Charnley, Newcastle’s managing director, refuses to be rushed into sacking McClaren. Indeed the former England coach is regarded as a backstop option capable of remaining in charge if it proves impossible to broker a deal with a high profile replacement.

With time – and games – running out for Newcastle to escape the bottom three, it is hoped the switch can be negotiated ahead of Monday night’s trip to Leicester City, the leaders, but Mike Ashley, the owner, will not sanction a change unless the new appointment is a definite “upgrade” on McClaren.

The board are believed to want to hire a replacement capable of exciting deeply disgruntled supporters and have effectively ruled Nigel Pearson, the former Leicester manager and Harry Redknapp out of the running.

Even so, they accept that persuading Benítez - or Moyes or Rodgers - to try and rescue them from the Championship may prove easier said than done. They are however believed to be ready to offer the new manager appreciably increased autonomy in the recruitment sphere.

After several years of struggle under Alan Pardew, John Carver and now McClaren there is a recognition that the club’s overall strategy and managerial model requires some radical modification if things are to improve. There is also an appreciation that the current crisis - Newcastle are second bottom after losing five of their last six games - is not purely the current manager’s fault but instead reflects far wider, systemic problems. Considerable soul searching allied to potential root and branch reform apparently beckons this summer.

As a man, McClaren is liked and admired by Charnley, Graham Carr, the chief scout and Bob Moncur, the club ambassador and there is considerable sympathy for the position of a coach who took training on Tuesday morning and is due to repeat the exercise on Wednesday morning.

There is though an acceptance that McClaren is struggling to get the best out of a challenging, high maintenance, multi- national squad and that a manager in the Benítez mould could well provoke a much better response from a set of under-achieving players.

Although he stands to lose countless millions in television revenue alone should Newcastle be relegated, Ashley - heavily reliant on advice from Keith Bishop, a London0based public relations executive and a key confidant - remains notorious for driving a hard bargain. Should negotiations with a potential successor or successors prove awkward or protracted the sports retail tycoon would have no compunction about leaving McClaren - who has made it clear he will not resign - to take charge of the team at Leicester.

After the meeting with Claudio Ranieri’s side comes a vital north east derby at home to key relegation rivals Sunderland who have won the last six Tyne-Wear derbies. Then, after the international break, Newcastle visit similarly troubled Norwich City.

Directors hope to have made a change by then but their failure to make significant progress on an appointment dictated that a state of damaging limbo endured and a planned meeting between McClaren and Charnley never took place on Tuesday afternoon.

If and when it happens, dismissing McClaren will represent a personal failure for Newcastle’s managing director, who regarded McClaren as the “perfect fit” when he appointed him last summer and has spent the last few months desperately hoping the 54-year-old could turn things around.

Guest ElCid

Come on people it's not happening. McClaren arrives early, takes training and leaves just before 5 - where is the even slightest indication there that he is on his way seriously. If he was going he would of been sacked by now and certainly wouldn't have spent the whole day at the training ground.

Seriously still nothing, fuck me :lol:

Are you serious? You've been telling the entire forum for months that everything's fine, we're playing good football and just a little unlucky. :lol:

Your realise opinions can change right, right, or is that not possible in that Neanderthal brain of yours? Besides something needs to be announced either way, this limbo can't continue.

In a strange way it makes me appreciate Rudd Gullit. He held his hands up  resigned and walked. All without aggitating for compensation.

Even though his reign was hardly any good for us. He, unlike others had a modicum of integrity.

As a man, McClaren is liked and admired by Charnley, Graham Carr, the chief scout and Bob Moncur, the club ambassador and there is considerable sympathy for the position of a coach who took training on Tuesday morning and is due to repeat the exercise on Wednesday morning.

:lol: Grim

It took you till March to figure out we're shit and you wanna talk about my brain. Alright, man. :thup:

You realise all I ever did was look on the bright side, I couldn't be fucked with the negatively, that we had been subjected to for yeard and I wasn't be antagonist in any of my posts. But apparently having a differing opinon isn't allowed by you and you high fucking horse.

That Guardian piece sounds fairly positive overall, even if we have to wait a few days. Shame I don't believe it.

What? It reads to me that it's almost certain that McClaren will remain in place and they're posturing about sounding out other candidates which are very unlikely to want to come here and work under this mess of a setup. The soul searching and willingness to change things up is just laughable - they are as arrogant as they are ignorant. No way are they capable of such self-reflection, no way.

:lol: Grim

Hmm sympathy.laughable bunch of know nothing's running the club. Everyone may as well sack off the remaining games and go do summik else on a Saturday afternoon.