Steve McClaren

Dave

Can anyone remember how soon he was binned after a match? Was it straight afterwards or sometime the following week?

No he was pictured going into training smiling for a few days after and then having a face like a smacked arse leaving the training ground after he had been sacked.

He was on my flight from London to Newcastle once, last one on the plane, held up everyone and then couldn't find his seat. He had a laugh with everyone about the whole thing mind.

Personally think he was a lot more likeable than Pardew and Bruce.

I could also see what he was trying to do, early in the season particularly, in terms of us playing football.

Agree with this.  He wasn't a particularly great appointment, but I wanted him to do well.  Actually had high hopes for him after that home game v Norwich.

McClaren has a better CV than the two of them put together.  The only thing that Bruce excels at is being a cunt.

Said it loads of times, but he had good ideas when he arrived. He just didn’t have the backbone or the influence to stick with them when we went on losing.

He’s much better tactically than Pardew or Bruce, doesn’t belong in the same group at all.

McClaren cut a uniquely sad, pathetic figure. That actually sounds harsher than I mean it to.

This. From memory he didn't have a Trump esque relationship with the truth either although I might have just forgotten. He was just shit rather than a malicious cunt.

If he'd played Tiote-Wijnaldum as his midfield 2 he would have been fine. He persisted with Colback-Anita and it dragged us into a hole we couldn't get out of. Those two just let us get overrun every game.

My memories of McClaren are him telling us we were "magnificent" after every incredibly limp shoddy display, waiting til 85 mins and 2 goals down to make a sub, and saying "we're working hard behind the scenes and have to believe in what we're doing" a lot.

Christ he was shite but I do actually think Bruce might be worse.

Awful appointment. A soggy bit of mouldy bread in a suit. Nowhere near as odious as that prick pardew, but he was alex ferguson's right hand man at man utd during bruce's playing time so he had a hand in shaping our current incumbent incompetent. 

CV wise better than Bruce absolutely. But during him managing here, no, not better than Bruce. As utterly turgid as Bruce is, at least we didn't go down with Bruce in his first season here (although we just might this year).

Being in a relegation battle with some of the players in the squad that he had was just criminal.

Not a cunt but was way way way out of his depth and I think people forget the casual smiles and laughing in the post-match interviews after such inept performances. Chelsea away is one I remember well, as we languish down near the bottom. Dogshit.

I think he gets an easy ride in comparison to Pardew purely because he wasn't as much of a cunt and an Ashley arse-licker but make no mistake, this guy was fucking awful.

Hmm he was a bit more progressive and all but it felt like he had absolutely no dressing room charisma, the squad was suddenly quite different and it didn't work at all. Maybe he'd do ok in a director of football roll but don't think he can motivate a squad of players and while he was more astute than Bruce not so astute as to make a huge difference. McClaren has achieved things in his career but feel he had got rather outdated and been out of premier league too long. These are the managers Ashley likes, devalued due to being out the game for a bit and poor results so are cheap and won't complain. I don't feel McClaren was at all malevolent, Bruce is just squatting for pocketing half big andy carrol's appearance bonuses.

As shit as Bruce is, I think he's a decent appointment for a Championship club who want to push for promotion (he's been promoted 4 times). I wouldn't go near McClaren even down there - he did well at Middlesbrough and Twente but they were long ago and he's been so shit since.

As shit as Bruce is, I think he's a decent appointment for a Championship club who want to push for promotion (he's been promoted 4 times). I wouldn't go near McClaren even down there - he did well at Middlesbrough and Twente but they were long ago and he's been so shit since.

I wouldn’t say he is now, maybe 6/7 years ago.

He was found at Villa despite having the most expensive squad ever to play in that league.

He was found at Villa despite having the most expensive squad ever to play in that league.

Aye, top clubs down there are looking at more progressive managers now. Farke, Franks, Xisco, Ismael for example. He’s a mid-table Championship manager at best now. Sheff Wed was perfect for him.

5-6 years ago you’d have backed Warnock to get Boro up, or next season you’d have expected Hughton to take Forest up. Not sure about either now.

Must not forget this shameless piece of shit turned up as a pundit at Craven Cottage for our bow in the Championship accepting absolutely zero responsibility or remorse in his role in taking us there.

Aye, top clubs down there are looking at more progressive managers now. Farke, Franks, Xisco, Ismael for example. He’s a mid-table Championship manager at best now. Sheff Wed was perfect for him.

5-6 years ago you’d have backed Warnock to get Boro up, or next season you’d have expected Hughton to take Forest up. Not sure about either now.

Totally agree. Almost as if there is more to the game than pashun and rolling wuh sleeves up and having a gohw.