Re-formatting

Ally

Can anyone tell me how to reformat my computer please? I think you put the Windows XP CD in and boot from that, but then what?

Give me a few minutes and I'll put my CD in and see what happens, I'll finish my tea first, you might have to change your bios settings to look at your cd drive before your hard drive.

Spend some time thinking about what you need when you get up and running again, do you use all of your software?  If not then don't bother putting it back in.

Save e-mails and settings, do you want you're explorer favorites?

Think before acting, once you've done it you'll struggle to get anything back although it's not impossible.

I’ve got genuine software which I can’t find the serial numbers for so I’ve had to get cracks from the net, do you have everything, or, do you need to go looking? 

Everything is backed up on my USB stick that I need for Uni, all my music is backed up on my Dad's computer. Theres really nothing worth keeping on there, just trying to get to the bottom of the problems its got. My techy mate suggested a load of things that didn't work and recommended a reformat, but he expected to me to know how to do it!

Everything is backed up on my USB stick that I need for Uni, all my music is backed up on my Dad's computer. Theres really nothing worth keeping on there, just trying to get to the bottom of the problems its got. My techy mate suggested a load of things that didn't work and recommended a reformat, but he expected to me to know how to do it!

I'm going to format mine tonight as it's moving slower than a slug at the minute, I'm just checking that I've got everything ready.

Have you got a good AV ready?

That's the first thing I'll install after windows, also sort your Firewall before going on the net and anything you use to keep your explorer from becoming hijacked.

Ally,

You might have to keep press F8 while re-booting to get into the installation, you'll eventually get a blue screen with options, one will let you re-install.

If you get the option to format your hard drive, use it.

Right, chose the format option etc, was about 28% of the way through installing the new partition or whatever its called and the PC turned itself off as it has been randomly for ages now. Its absolutely fucked.

Cheers for the advice guys.

Right, chose the format option etc, was about 28% of the way through installing the new partition or whatever its called and the PC turned itself off as it has been randomly for ages now. Its absolutely fucked.

Cheers for the advice guys.

I didn't create a new partition, I just used the one that I'd always had, try it again if it will let you.

The advice you've been given on here is the right way to do it, I've done mine since posting last time and it's spot on.

we've said it before and we'll say it again

REFORMATTING IS THE LAST THING YOU SHOULD DO WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

people seem to do it often but it is a dangerous process - you may lose data, you may lose programmes you haven't got the reinstallation disks or teh licence keys for

If you MUST do it a full systems and data backup is a minumum starting point

TBH if you have to ask teh question that Ally asked you shouldn't do it

Guest toonarmy1810

REFORMATTING IS THE LAST THING YOU SHOULD DO WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

Its as easy as making a cup of tea. Back up the data, make sure u have all the drivers discs and winxp sp2 then reformat the hard disc, easy peasy.

I do mine every 3 months,its like having a new pc, try it you might like it.

aye - thats why there was someone on here or over on Toontastic last month who buggered everything up when he did it............................

no professional PC expert would advocate reformatting as routine

aye - thats why there was someone on here or over on Toontastic last month who buggered everything up when he did it............................

I'm not a professional PC expert but I have been building PC's since the days of windows 3.11 and DOS 6.22 and I still format every few months.  Everytime you load and unload software you've got a good chance of leaving something behind which slows the PC down, the registry might be looking for something not on the PC and it takes time while it looks for it.

It's a lot easier now than it was back then as every game and some other software installed had to be configured for sound and graphics and not all were easy as so many different cards were around that were not listed.

It's like anything else, the more you do it the easier it gets.

It would appear that the original problem that Ally was having could be down to hardware, his techy mate suggested the format, did he check for lose connections?  It might be worth checking all connections and making sure that all cards are sitting firmly in the motherboard.

Guest toonarmy1810

I just did mate, As long as you back up data and have drivers etc. Its solves a hell of a lot of time and money.