James Milner

Alberto2005

I still find it difficult to reconcile the position that 2020 James Milner is in with the bloke who played for us. I just saw him as symptomatic of the direction of travel for Newcastle at the time, a slow and flair-free plodder.

Don't watch a lot of football any more and I've never been one for watching games that don't involve us so I don't really know how he's developed but he's clearly doing something right these days [emoji38]

Best thing he ever did was leave us, to be fair.

That's true and he's had quite a remarkable career, and when you see him play now you can hardly believe it's the same player. But the irony with that 'lowest ever point' is that, at it turned out that season, he's never played more games in a season than that one.

I still find it difficult to reconcile the position that 2020 James Milner is in with the bloke who played for us. I just saw him as symptomatic of the direction of travel for Newcastle at the time, a slow and flair-free plodder.

Don't watch a lot of football any more and I've never been one for watching games that don't involve us so I don't really know how he's developed but he's clearly doing something right these days [emoji38]

Na that's off the mark like about the direction of travel at the time for Newcastle. He was signed under Sir Bobby and we were playing good football at the time and Milner played in Europe for us and was clearly a talented player.

Also I'm sure he scored against Man United the same game that Edgar did.

Imagine if we had just never appointed Graeme fucking Souness. I remember the day he was appointed. I sent an email to Sky Sports News within a minute and they read it out on air pretty much straight away. How Shepherd thought that was a clever appointment I'll never know. He was useless at every club he managed, including his amazingly disastrous spell at Liverpool.

It's way different to discuss the impact of Milner now and then. When he left we were still, for the most part, judging him against the level of SBRs team with Robert and Solano which is where the we expected the club to work to come back to and maybe even surpass. In that regard I don't think he was good enough and didn't really mind that he was sold. That being said I think it's fair to say he was not used in his best position here. He's just not fast enough, and didn't/doesn't really cross the ball that well to be playing on the wing. Of course, for the team we have today he could walk into any position in midfield or full back positions and be the best player in the team.

Imagine if we had just never appointed Graeme f***ing Souness. I remember the day he was appointed. I sent an email to Sky Sports News within a minute and they read it out on air pretty much straight away. How Shepherd thought that was a clever appointment I'll never know. He was useless at every club he managed, including his amazingly disastrous spell at Liverpool.

He was bought in purely for disciplinary reasons wasn't he to keep the brat pack of the likes of Dyer and Bellamy in check wasn't he?

Imagine if we had just never appointed Graeme f***ing Souness. I remember the day he was appointed. I sent an email to Sky Sports News within a minute and they read it out on air pretty much straight away. How Shepherd thought that was a clever appointment I'll never know. He was useless at every club he managed, including his amazingly disastrous spell at Liverpool.

He was bought in purely for disciplinary reasons wasn't he to keep the brat pack of the likes of Dyer and Bellamy in check wasn't he?

Yeah. Worked great.

Imagine if we had just never appointed Graeme fucking Souness. I remember the day he was appointed. I sent an email to Sky Sports News within a minute and they read it out on air pretty much straight away. How Shepherd thought that was a clever appointment I'll never know. He was useless at every club he managed, including his amazingly disastrous spell at Liverpool.

The underlying problem was that Shearer had become too powerful a figure within the club. I'm inclined to believe the account that five more promising candidates turned the job down, and Souness was the only one prepared to take the situation on.

I don't particularly blame Shearer for it. At a crucial point, Shepherd didn't back Sir Bob's judgement about the player, and it was downhill from that point.

The underlying problem was that Shearer had become too powerful a figure within the club. I'm inclined to believe the account that five more promising candidates turned the job down, and Souness was the only one prepared to take the situation on.

I don't particularly blame Shearer for it. At a crucial point, Shepherd didn't back Sir Bob's judgement about the player, and it was downhill from that point.

I've never heard that before. Souness was Shepherd's man from the word go, was he not?

I've never heard that before. Souness was Shepherd's man from the word go, was he not?

I remember the rumblings at the time that Shearer was the chosen one and Souness was brought in to fill time until Shearer retired and was ready to take over.