What You Drinking?

Last night the following were consumed between myself and the other.

New Belgium white IPA

Founders breakfast stout

Wynwood La Rubia

Some 420 pale ale that was meh

Insane French bezlebuth 13% beer

Sierra Nevada pale ale

SweetWater 420.  And you are right, it's very meh.

Bulmers > Magners :thup:

You like the name better? They're identical aside from that. :lol:

HP Bulmers is made in Hereford, Wm Magners is from Clonmel.

They are completely different :thup:

:lol: Research it man. I know this for an absolute fact they're the exact same thing. It's even confirmed on the official Magners/Bulmers website that they're identical.

he success of Bulmers cider in Ireland led to the development of the Magners brand to market the company's cider outside of Ireland. Since H. P. Bulmer retained the right to market their original English Bulmers worldwide, the C&C Group needed a new name under which to market their international product. The concept was originally developed by Stuart Wootten, who argued that the international growth of Irish pubs provided a natural market for a drink such as Irish cider. Irish Bulmers cider and Magners have the same label and are identical products, except for the name.

Magners is identical to Bulmers in terms of product taste and characteristics and its branding' date=' packaging and promotional strategy is based on the marketing approach, which has been so successful for the Bulmers brand in Ireland.[/quote']

I've no idea why a small group of people insist they're different. :lol:

:lol: you need to do better research man, honestly, if you are going to make it in the world, you'll need to get your facts right.

Firstly, the quotes you have supplied are, completely correct, 100% right :thup:

Unfortunately, they still make you 100% wrong though.  :)

So to begin

In Ireland, Bulmers Irish Cider (you'll know the drink as Magners in NI) is owned completely by the C&C group and is made with Irish sourced apples in Clonmel, Co Tipperary.

The drink I referred to is HP Bulmers Cider which is owned completely by Heineken and is made with English (and some French) sourced apples in Hereford.

They are two entirely separate companies producing two entirely differently tasting ciders.

Your confusion comes from their entwined histories.

HP Bulmers (ENGLAND) bought a cider producer in Ireland in the 30s called Wm Magner and owned them up to 1949 (I think)

Then they split but the Irish company retained the company name of Bulmers (in Ireland) and HP Bulmers went back to England and continued to trade as HP Bulmers

The confusion has arisen when Bulmers (Ireland) decided to export to England but could not do so, because HP Bulmers (ENGLAND) retained the trade name BULMERS.

Hence, Bulmers (Ireland) brought back their original founders name Wm Magner as a new brand name so they could sell their "Irish" cider to the UK.

So there is a Bulmers and a Magners that are the same drink, just not the Bulmers I was referring to (hence why I identified them as the English and Irish ciders specifically to avoid this :thup: )

Clearly you have never tasted them though, as they are vastly different ciders, even a fool could tell that  :lol:

I guess just not you though  :iamatwat:

:lol: TBF BM, I think you knew of the similarities and kinda fished for that, given that you said Bulmers is better than Magners. If they're completely different and no where near the same, why compare the one you like to that and not any other cider in the UK/Ireland? :lol: If they're so different why not say Bulmers > Strongbow, what made you pick Magners?

:lol: TBF BM, I think you knew of the similarities and kinda fished for that, given that you said Bulmers is better than Magners. If they're completely different and no where near the same, why compare the one you like to that and not any other cider in the UK/Ireland? :lol: If they're so different why not say Bulmers > Strongbow, what made you pick Magners?

I only mentioned it because Mrmojorisin mentioned that he had bought some "Magners" and I responded by indicating that I rated Bulmers over Magners.

Froggy took me to task on it and I clearly pointed out the different brands to which I was referring :thup:

I wasn't surprised that he came back the way he did though, I've had this argument a thousand times now, and yes if you are comparing Bulmers/Magners from C&C then yes, they are the same drink.

But that wasn't the ciders I was referring to (and I made that as clear as could be)

I await his apology  :)