Mark Hughes

James

I believe Redknapp, Redknapp has no reason to lie, we do.

Think about it a bit harder, and see if your opinion changes.

I was right first time.

To say he has "no reason" to lie is utter bollocks, although I do think you're probably right.

There are a number of reasons that Redknapp would have to lie, but their not as big as ours are.

Redknapp's pay has just doubled to 3m per the BBC as a result of this debacle.  I think he had every reason to lie about a job offer from us.....it doubled his pay

Clearly a non-debate.

Nappy just sold us a paahhnd of toms.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3045147,00.html

Mark Hughes is expected to accept an approach from Newcastle United to become the club's latest manager later this week.

Despite Harry Redknapp, the former favourite to succeed Sam Allardyce, endorsing the candidature of Alan Shearer, the Toon are understood to have set their sights on the Blackburn Rovers manager.

'Hughes, 44, has shot to the top of Newcastle's list of possible replacements and it is anticipated that Newcastle's chairman, Chris Mort, will today make an official approach for the Welshman, who is understood to be ready to take the chance of reviving an ailing club,' reports The Daily Telegraph.

It was telling that, when questioned over the links with Newcastle following Rovers' 2-1 win over Bolton on Sunday, Hughes refused to rule himself out the running. "In football, you never say never," he told Sky Sports.

The Times claims that 'Hughes is eager for a new challenge', while The Mail describes the Welshman as 'feeling he can take Blackburn only so far'.

Despite fevered speculation on Sunday that Shearer could return to the north-east as part of a 'dream team' management set-up alongside Kevin Keegan, leaks from St James' Park indicate that owner Mike Ashley and chairman Chris Mort have no intention of appointing the Match of the Day pundit.

Shearer is due to return later today from Barbados where he has repeatedly sent text messages to friends declaring that he is "extremely unlikely" to replace Allardyce. Typical Shearer. Even when on a beach he has found a fence to sit on.

i love articles like this. no facts or direct quotes from people at Newcastle, just specualtion and runour treated as gospel

I've no idea what to think anymore.  It would be a destinctly uninspiring appointment and a sickener to miss out on a good foreign coach but it also means we don't end up with Bruce or McLaren.  If he'd got the job straight after we got rid of Sam I'd have been furious but as this fiasco seems to be barreling along the Shitcreek Express Line en-route to its terminus at St Clusterfuck Station paying Blackburn a fortune for their mediocre manager again would almost seem like a relief.

In addition to Hughes, senior Newcastle United sources last night said that the CVs of several candidates are being scrutinised, including those of Gérard Houllier, Jose Mourinho and Steve McClaren.

:lol:  "Well lads, 5 trophies in a season for Houllier, or two Premierships and a Champions League and Uefa Cup for Jose....Nah, let's go for Hughesy"

:thup:

can someone let me in on the negativity towards hughes?

his blackburn team play decent stuff with 2 wingers (one of whom is bentley that everyone here more or less masterbates over at every opportunity) and 2 skillfull tricky forwards....they're also competitive, good at the back and organised

hughes has also shown by signing the likes of samba, nelson, cruz that his scouting network extends beyond the cast offs from man u, arse, chelski and liverpool

not saying i think hughes is or isn't the man but as i look at the way things stand we're getting a top european coach anytime soon and i'm not hearing a lot better than hughes quite frankly

Hughes plays the type of football I think would go down well here. Two flying wingers, two goalscoring strikers, and in David Dunn, someone who despite not being the greatest, at least tries to create something. I've no doubt that he could get us playing the same way, and that's even before he has to delve into the transfer market.

Hughes plays the type of football I think would go down well here. Two flying wingers, two goalscoring strikers, and in David Dunn, someone who despite not being the greatest, at least tries to create something. I've no doubt that he could get us playing the same way, and that's even before he has to delve into the transfer market.

OK, so i'm not alone in thinking he'd not be the worst appointment ever made...to be honest i'd have him ahead of redknapp any day (watched some of the pompey/mackems game yesterday and seeing the like of pamarot running about i was reminded how much shit harry actually buys to go with the muntari's of this world)

perhaps someone can correct me but it seems whenever hughes has dealt in the market he's come out alright?  if the player he signed, like warnock or nelson for examples, aren't world beaters then they're at least pretty good and don't cost the earth...?

Just had an opportunity to view the post match interviews with Hughes and the BBC one was very very telling. Lets just say in my job for the Navy I am highly trained on body language (none of that looking down to the right nonsense though) his was of a man avoiding saying something at all costs. The biggest tell was when he went for the right side of his collar when asked about the Newcastle situation, when he was talking about how focused his whole staff was on the match.

If the board have not already been contacted about a package for him I will be very surprised, and I bet my house on the fact that Hughes knows it too. His refusal to meet the reporters eyes when asked if he is flattered about it says he wants it.

My only hope is that he realizes the risks involved. I want him to stay more than anything but even if he does go I will still like him.

The one thing you can be absolutely certain about is that Hughes will continue where Allardyce left off.

If Rovers had lost four on the bounce, the last being a 6 goal second half gubbing and were only 6 points ahead of 18th place, the press would be screaming about a relegation battle.

That is where Newcastle are now and that is how Hughes will see it.

Your football will be as black as your jersies for at least a year.

Aye that part is true. Blackburn play some good stuff and some very good stuff when they had Bellamy and Pongolle upfront but when he first went to Blackburn he made them some hard as nails fuckrs.

Just had an opportunity to view the post match interviews with Hughes and the BBC one was very very telling. Lets just say in my job for the Navy I am highly trained on body language (none of that looking down to the right nonsense though) his was of a man avoiding saying something at all costs. The biggest tell was when he went for the right side of his collar when asked about the Newcastle situation, when he was talking about how focused his whole staff was on the match.

If the board have not already been contacted about a package for him I will be very surprised, and I bet my house on the fact that Hughes knows it too. His refusal to meet the reporters eyes when asked if he is flattered about it says he wants it.

My only hope is that he realizes the risks involved. I want him to stay more than anything but even if he does go I will still like him.

The one thing you can be absolutely certain about is that Hughes will continue where Allardyce left off.

If Rovers had lost four on the bounce, the last being a 6 goal second half gubbing and were only 6 points ahead of 18th place, the press would be screaming about a relegation battle.

That is where Newcastle are now and that is how Hughes will see it.

Your football will be as black as your jersies for at least a year.

Aye that part is true. Blackburn play some good stuff and some very good stuff when they had Bellamy and Pongolle upfront but when he first went to Blackburn he made them some hard as nails fuckrs.

Was that not more to do with the fact he was left with that sort of team by Souness in the first-place? Did he have the players to play good football? I can see him coming here and playing the same system as he is now.

Just thought I'd have a look at what the Blackburn side was when we beat them 3-0 in Carver's game in charge...

GK - Friedel

RB - Neill

LB - Gray

CB - Short

CB - Matteo

RM - Emerton (Bothroyd 78)

LM - Pedersen (Douglas 45)

CM - Flitcroft

CM - Ferguson

CF - Stead

CF - Dickov

Subs Not Used: Tugay, Enckelman, Johansson.

Pretty hard to play any other way than ugly when you see that side.

also the fact that he'll likely get some money to spend at least this window, common consensus right?  otherwise why sack sam?

so you'd have to imagine he'd sign at least one CM with some ability and with any luck two...maybe a striker/defender, it'll depend on the $

cover the gaps til beye/faye/martins get back from the ACN and i reckon he could play us out of relegation personally...don't see why it would HAVE to be ugly although that blackburn fan makes a good point, we're actually involved in it now, to assume otherwise is suicide

If this fella takes the job, then he needs to be backed by every supporter of NUFC.  No more bitching, we may have to get ugly for a while so be prepared.

but that's the thing with allardyce ain't it?  most people accepted we needed a change in style and were prepared to see ugly for a while...problem was he never won any fucken matches!!!

if hughes, or someone else, comes in and we're ugly but get some results most people will accept it i reckon

Wouldn't object to Hughes, but he will be off to OT as soon as  Fergie jacks it, and that will only be a couple of years away..would do a decent job though.

prolly get slaughtered for this but if your scenario there happens and in 2-3 years man u come calling for hughes then the likelihood is that NUFC would have had a pretty good 2-3 years???

i'd fucken take 2-3 good years right now and hope we could build on it then....

Wouldn't object to Hughes, but he will be off to OT as soon as  Fergie jacks it, and that will only be a couple of years away..would do a decent job though.

prolly get slaughtered for this but if your scenario there happens and in 2-3 years man u come calling for hughes then the likelihood is that NUFC would have had a pretty good 2-3 years???

i'd fucken take 2-3 good years right now and hope we could build on it then....

Then we'd hire Shearer who by that time will have had 3 years experience under his belt at Blackburn. O0