The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

can't work this all out - seems to me the press only have one link at the moment and that's that ex spurs mouthpiece who's talking to the papers, he wanted redknapp once so therefore 2+2=7.2324

the pompey stats on nufc.com are diabolical, no goals at home in the last six games...they're a good side away from home but at home have no flair...last part sound familiar?

why would ashley get this guy?  i just can't see it...he was just arrested for match fixing allegations wasn't he?  makes even less sense...

i have a feeling (although it may be blind hope) that ashley is gonna pull a rabbit out of the hat here...

I haven't read all 22 pages of this thread, but I was going to make this point as well. We would be an absolute laughing stock if we signed him and these allegations ended up being true and he went to jail. If we want a long-term manager, then we shouldn't be looking at someone who is under a criminal investigation. Last I heard, this hadn't been resolved.

Pretty dissapointed, if not gutted, hopes once again raised that we were finally going to get ambitious and once again dashed!  Sorry but if true, Ashley has dissapointed me greatly on a footballing perspective.

Guest nufc_geordie

can't work this all out - seems to me the press only have one link at the moment and that's that ex spurs mouthpiece who's talking to the papers, he wanted redknapp once so therefore 2+2=7.2324

the pompey stats on nufc.com are diabolical, no goals at home in the last six games...they're a good side away from home but at home have no flair...last part sound familiar?

why would ashley get this guy?  i just can't see it...he was just arrested for match fixing allegations wasn't he?  makes even less sense...

i have a feeling (although it may be blind hope) that ashley is gonna pull a rabbit out of the hat here...

Again another naive view. Stats don't tell the whole story. Portsmouth are excellent going forward but teams now know that when they play at Fratton Park if they try to attack they will lose. 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes is all teams are doing when they go to Portsmouth. When Portsmouth play away and teams attack them they tear them apart.

If Harry does come then hopefully with some of Ashleys pennies he can buy that extra little bit of quality that will see us get those home goals when teams sit back.

Snatched from another thread:

Equally there are concerns he may use this interest from a rival club to persuade Portsmouth to offer him a more generous transfer window budget and possible salary hike.

Maybe Ashley is just doing 'Arry a favor, seeing as they're apparently best pals.

I'd honestly be absolutely gutted if it was 'Arry. Really.

Again another naive view. Stats don't tell the whole story. Portsmouth are excellent going forward but teams now know that when they play at Fratton Park if they try to attack they will lose. 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes is all teams are doing when they go to Portsmouth. When Portsmouth play away and teams attack them they tear them apart.

Your now telling me Harry is tactically inept that he can't work a way round a team who chooses to defend for 90 mins christ even Sam could manage that one the majority of games.

they've got Alan Oliver on Radio 4 at the moment discussing whether Redknapp will take charge... his statement is full of "we understand", "we think"...and that the signing of Redknapp is 'past the post' (which is the first time i've heard that expression)

basically he hasn't got a clue and is making it up as he goes along

Dead man walking already.

Completely true

If he is appointed he'll be fired in the summer if we keep playing like Allardyce.

If we improve under him maybe he'll stay longer but the main point is that the fans dont want him

WE NEED QUALITY EXPERIENCED MANAGER WHO HAS WON SOMETHING IN HIS CAREER

If someone comes in now, they’ve really got to hit the ground running and get hold of the situation quickly. There isn’t time to acclimatise to the English game, and that would rule out a lot of the foreign candidates mentioned like Klinsmann and Van Gaal (assuming they’d be remotely interested).

Redknapp would be a good choice in the circumstances. He has the experience and the self-confidence to get to grips with everything quickly, and he’s done well in his previous posts.

Part of me still hopes this is a smokescreen (him being a mate of Ashley he could have agreed to be linked in the story as a favour)

For the record, anyone that wanted Allardyce out has to have the worlds biggest brass neck to complain about Redknapp. You were all asked 'who would replace him?' now you have the answer. 

Still troubled with marrying Kelmsey's comments to the stories this morning about the fight for Redknapp

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article3168663.ece

The two dont tally.

If someone comes in now, they’ve really got to hit the ground running and get hold of the situation quickly. There isn’t time to acclimatise to the English game, and that would rule out a lot of the foreign candidates mentioned like Klinsmann and Van Gaal (assuming they’d be remotely interested).

Redknapp would be a good choice in the circumstances. He has the experience and the self-confidence to get to grips with everything quickly, and he’s done well in his previous posts.

I don't agree, most foreign managers have to hit the ground running, look at Ramos for example.

I really don't want Redknapp, I just don't think he's an improvement over Sam, as someone said in another post, it would be a side step, not a step forward.

He'll not go in the summer because most teams when they are taken over by new management go on a run of a few wins (like Roeder) the fans then get excited and predict top 4 finish the next season, we then falter and end up mid table, fans get on back and the manager gets sacked. Cycle begins again.

If what the papers are saying is true and this deal includes a huge buy out of his current club, a mega transfer kitty, obscene wages and a relocation package so attractive it includes use of a private jet surely we'd be able to tempt someone better than Harry fucking Redknapp with it?

We hate cockneys and we hate cockneys...

One of the problems I foresee for a new, mediocre manager (i.e. a Redknapp instead of a Hiddink) is the players know it is more likely the manager will get fired than the players getting fired.

As a result instead of seeing a jump in performance, like a new manager normally brings, as people vie for favor, our players have all seen this 2 or 3 times before so they're more likely to just treat it as the same-ol'-same-ol'.

It wouldn't be a bad appointment, just not the one the fans want.

I like his style of football and he's a good talent spotter, i'd just prefer someone else.

Bit of a meh signing, exactly what this club doesn't need.

Edit: I didn't even see the meh option until i posted.  :laugh:

Someone who's bought Amdy Faye and Andy O'Brien?

Guest johnson293

I really don't want Redknapp, I just don't think he's an improvement over Sam, as someone said in another post, it would be a side step, not a step forward.

I Agree with This! ^

don't see what the bloke's done to warrent being chased with this tenacity by Ashley (assuming all the shit-rag newpapers are speaking the truth) or to warrent the financial package that's being rumoured.

he's an ok manager who's been accused of dodgy dealings, got southampton relegated then pissed off back to portsmouth. so loyalty's not exactly a high priority for him.

plus, as Toon4life says, he bloody bought O'Brien and Faye!