Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

I think they are probably waiting until we are safe first before enviting the likes of KK back as a guest of honour, that and he probably wants nowt to do with NUFC anymore and who can blame him.

Edited by HTT II

Take him on as an ambassador for the club, he could look on it as a retirement gig. Not that he needs the money but the club should definitely give back to him as much as he’s given to us.

Give him a seat for life in the directors area, similar to what SBR has. Would be great seeing him looking on at home games. He’ll always be loved here. Always.

Am I imagining it or didn't they try to get in touch with KK when they took over? Felt like I read something around the time Staveley was speaking with Shearer.

I think/hope he'll be back in some sort of ambassador/honorary role once he trusts the new owners from afar. I don't blame him for being weary of getting in bed with any new owners before they've had time to truly show their hand as to how they intend to run the club.

Edited by wormy

• 2 weeks later...

This just popped up on Twitter, he clearly makes a statement, that this went through without his involvement, and he had no intention of leaving, the final words are obvious. 

I often wondered if they had a disagreement or ding dong, and Keegan was too stubborn, and that was the end.

There was all these lies at the time about his shin splints, he went on to be superb at Man Utd, so the shin splints thing was rubbish, as it never stopped him. 

Maybe I'm just too curious, but I always felt there was more to this, even back then as teenager [emoji38]

Edited by mighty__mag

11 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

This just popped up on Twitter, he clearly makes a statement, that this went through without his involvement, and he had no intention of leaving, the final words are obvious. 

I often wondered if they had a disagreement or ding dong, and Keegan was too stubborn, and that was the end.

There was all these lies at the time about his shin splints, he went on to be superb at Man Utd, so the shin splints thing was rubbish, as it never stopped him. 

Maybe I'm just too curious, but I always felt there was more to this, even back then as teenager [emoji38]

He did miss one game after a bust up think it was Wimbledon away in the cup 

From what I understood, Cole thought he was "it" around that time, the adulation had got to him a bit and his training was deteriorating.

If he'd have stayed, maybe his career would have nosedived. By moving to Man U under Fergie, he got a kick up the ass and pushed on again which might never have happened if he'd have stayed because he'd have gotten comfortable.

Also, for all we say he excelled at Man U, he never recaptured the form he had for us. Not even close. "That" season he scored 41 in 45 with 34 in the league, and overall in his time with us he scored 68 in 84. For Man U, that drops to a somewhat less stellar 121 in 275, nowhere near as good, and his best season for them yielded 25 goals in all competitions, only 15 of which were in the league.

Maybe Keegan saw a chance to sell him whilst his value was at its highest, knowing that he'd already peaked.

4 minutes ago, Outremont said:

Unsure why he is adored so much. Quit the club twice and failed twice. Not much more to say really.  

As any Newcastle United fan knows, he quit twice (once to retire as a player) and was constructively dismissed once

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

From what I understood, Cole thought he was "it" around that time, the adulation had got to him a bit and his training was deteriorating.

If he'd have stayed, maybe his career would have nosedived. By moving to Man U under Fergie, he got a kick up the ass and pushed on again which might never have happened if he'd have stayed because he'd have gotten comfortable.

Also, for all we say he excelled at Man U, he never recaptured the form he had for us. Not even close. "That" season he scored 41 in 45 with 34 in the league, and overall in his time with us he scored 68 in 84. For Man U, that drops to a somewhat less stellar 121 in 275, nowhere near as good, and his best season for them yielded 25 goals in all competitions, only 15 of which were in the league.

Maybe Keegan saw a chance to sell him whilst his value was at its highest, knowing that he'd already peaked.

People often underestimate his contribution, outside goals. Fergie never needed to rely on him for goals as they came from everywhere. Also he never played a full season again, after his amazing PL debut.

2 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Having a private lunch with KK in May after one of the lads won it in a silent auction. Can’t wait.

I’ll be sure to ask plenty of questions from NO!

Make sure to ask him why he’s adored so much round here

16 minutes ago, Outremont said:

Unsure why he is adored so much. Quit the club twice and failed twice. Not much more to say really.  

:lol: Couldn't get it through my head that this was about KK at first and thought 'when did Cole leave us a second time?'.

6 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

People often underestimate his contribution, outside goals. Fergie never needed to rely on him for goals as they came from everywhere. Also he never played a full season again, after his amazing PL debut.

Cole played 34 PL games in 1995/6, then 33 two years later and 32 the year following that.

He played 45 games in all competitions for us in 1993/4 scoring 41, and equalled or bettered that appearance level for 3 consecutive seasons for Man U from 1997/8 to 1999/00 but never got more than 25 in a season. He also played 43 games for them in 1995/6, scoring 13.

Aside from whether or not he played as regularly, which at times he maybe did not, his strike rate also dropped markedly. His strike rate with us in all competitions was 0.81, but for Man U it was 0.44.

Yes he was good for Man U, that's still a very good return, and you can argue he added other things to his game as well if you want, but we clearly saw the best of him in black and white.

13 minutes ago, Outremont said:

Took us from the brink of oblivion, relegation to division 3, had us promoted the following season as champions, playing some fantastic football.  Attracted some of the best players in the world to come to Newcastle and smashed the myth that no top class footballer would come her, almost won the premier league playing the best football we've ever seen, left a legacy that smashed European teams including Barcelona.

He played a massive part in our recent history, and went a long way to putting Newcastle on the footballing map.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you were joking

27 minutes ago, Outremont said:

As a manager, when he arrived we were facing potential oblivion when we were heading out of the 2nd Division with mountains of debt, relegation would have possibly caused the club to fold. He not only stopped us getting relegated, the next year we were promoted as champions and then finished 6th then 3rd in the PL from memory. Then the year after that w nearly won the whole thing. 

Absolutely unprecedented success since probably the mid 1950s, if we're not allowed to think highly of Keegan then who exactly should we think highly of? Everyone else since 1955 has done worse, both as players and managers. Yeah, we won the Fairs Cup in 1969 but although Keegan didn't win a trophy, I think his overall achievements are greater than a cup run.

Aside from that, he's one of the ones who just "gets" the area and the city. Rafa did too, hence why he's highly thought of, and Bobby Robson too. Keegan always talked us up, not put us down. It was said of his team talks that he'd make the players feel 10 foot tall, make them believe they could conquer the world. Well he did the same for us as fans. Sure, we fell short, but it was a fucking magnificent ride and he gave us pride and belief.

If Keegan hadn't come as manager in 1992, this club might not exist. It's that simple. But he didn't just save us, he nearly won the league and made us all feel not like gatecrashers, but like we had every right to sit at that top table as equals. And for a few years, we did just that.

Edited by Chris_R