Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

3 hours ago, Chris_R said:

From what I understood, Cole thought he was "it" around that time, the adulation had got to him a bit and his training was deteriorating.

If he'd have stayed, maybe his career would have nosedived. By moving to Man U under Fergie, he got a kick up the ass and pushed on again which might never have happened if he'd have stayed because he'd have gotten comfortable.

Also, for all we say he excelled at Man U, he never recaptured the form he had for us. Not even close. "That" season he scored 41 in 45 with 34 in the league, and overall in his time with us he scored 68 in 84. For Man U, that drops to a somewhat less stellar 121 in 275, nowhere near as good, and his best season for them yielded 25 goals in all competitions, only 15 of which were in the league.

Maybe Keegan saw a chance to sell him whilst his value was at its highest, knowing that he'd already peaked.

I thought it was a simple case of Keegan wanting Ferdinand as his main striker. 

8 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Regarding Andy Cole's goal record from his time with us - it's unlikely I will see such a thing in my life time again (I'm almost 49)

He was a one off.

True...yet from all the NUFC players I've seen, to pick an XI, I'm not sure Cole would make the squad, let alone start.

On 11/02/2022 at 23:37, 1964 said:

Took us from the brink of oblivion, relegation to division 3, had us promoted the following season as champions, playing some fantastic football.  Attracted some of the best players in the world to come to Newcastle and smashed the myth that no top class footballer would come her, almost won the premier league playing the best football we've ever seen, left a legacy that smashed European teams including Barcelona.

He played a massive part in our recent history, and went a long way to putting Newcastle on the footballing map.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you were joking

Thanks for the explanation mate. It makes sense and thanks also to others who have explained similar things. 

I started following the club in 1995/96 as a kid in Australia with Geordie ancestry. We had a strong team and had invested in Shearer and could have challenged again if he stuck at it. But he resigned and it seemed needless at the time.

Perhaps unfairly I attributed the dismantling of the team by the odious Kenny Dalglish to Keegan’s resignation. We went from 2nd to 13th in a season and the dream was gone. 

Then again under Ashley I felt Keegan was a bit naive and rather than fighting Mike (like Rafa did), he threw in the towel. In my mind it wasn’t constructive dismissal, it was willing resignation. Again, Keegan left us in it a bit.. and while he was ultimately powerless it felt like we were back at square one and resorting to lesser options (albeit Hughton did a great job and is a brilliant man). 

So there you have it. I should have asked without casting judgement, but I’m a big fan like anybody else. 

Barely slept before Norwich, Watford, Everton and Leeds games of late - willing the team to win. So don’t insinuate I am a fake or plastic fan. Thanks. 

On 12/02/2022 at 03:01, enthusiast said:

no, wait, we need to hear what he thinks of ben arfa

Loved Hatem. When we played 4-3-3 with Ben Arfa, Cisse and Ba it was the best football of Pardew’s time and the best attacking team in recent history. I remember one goal in particular (not his over popularised solo vs. Bolton or that FA cup solo) might have been WBA away, where he ran with the ball from the halfway line, used Ba and Cisse as distractions, a little shimmy and then put it in the far corner. No fuss, not complicated, just ruthless. 

7 hours ago, Outremont said:

Thanks for the explanation mate. It makes sense and thanks also to others who have explained similar things. 

I started following the club in 1995/96 as a kid in Australia with Geordie ancestry. We had a strong team and had invested in Shearer and could have challenged again if he stuck at it. But he resigned and it seemed needless at the time.

Perhaps unfairly I attributed the dismantling of the team by the odious Kenny Dalglish to Keegan’s resignation. We went from 2nd to 13th in a season and the dream was gone. 

Then again under Ashley I felt Keegan was a bit naive and rather than fighting Mike (like Rafa did), he threw in the towel. In my mind it wasn’t constructive dismissal, it was willing resignation. Again, Keegan left us in it a bit.. and while he was ultimately powerless it felt like we were back at square one and resorting to lesser options (albeit Hughton did a great job and is a brilliant man). 

So there you have it. I should have asked without casting judgement, but I’m a big fan like anybody else. 

Barely slept before Norwich, Watford, Everton and Leeds games of late - willing the team to win. So don’t insinuate I am a fake or plastic fan. Thanks. 

If you followed the club that year only even, you’d have nothing but good memories of KK, learn your history, know your history, enjoy your history!

If you take on a job and your role changes to the point that every hope and expectation you had becomes all about keeping a seat warm, it's absolutely constructive dismissal. 

We saw first hand a Champions League winning manager, fresh from the Real Madrid job, completely fail at getting Ashley to see sense. Keegan stood no chance.

10 hours ago, reefatoon said:

No Newcastle fan has a bad word about Keegan. It’s that simple.

I know what's coming, but I've got to respond to that.

I've seen particular individuals - Keegan, Shearer and Rafa - raised to a status where any comment that is in the least bit negative is treated as blasphemy. They are human beings with faults like the rest of us, regardless of the strength of their achievements, and declaring that any sort of criticism, however minor, means you're not a supporter, is wrong and ultimately unhealthy. 

My dad's uncle (ST holder for 50 plus years I believe) didn't like Keegan. He owned a pub on the outskirts of Morpeth so I just assumed he'd had a bad experience there, but really wish I'd have been old enough to ask when he was still around as he properly held something against him.

FWIW I've always thought of Keegan as nothing but an absolute legend for what did for this club.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

KK's emotional response to things were his achellis heel, if you could put it like that. But that was also one of his main attributes. His passion, his love, his emotional ties to the club. 

Without any of that he wasn't who he was, and I'd rather have saw what we did than have not. He made us love football, love waiting for the next game. 

He was us in manager form imo.

Happy birthday to the ultimate main man. :rose:Someone who much like Newcastle itself, is loved and romantised inclusive of their faults, not in spite of them. 

Understanding that regardless of any flaws, he saved the club and took it to within a whisker of winning the league with the most exhilarating football we've ever seen here >>>>> fixating on looking a gift horse in the mouth for some weird, "healthy", reason. 

Edited by Kid Icarus