Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Guest Howaythetoon

Great post Tmonkey and I couldn’t agree more. For us he was a world-class manager and in an age where managers were becoming coaches and clubs were hiring scouts and marketing departments KK bucked the trend and ran NUFC from every aspect. Scouting, stadium expansion, coaching, marketing, even on the financial side, player contracts, the lot. That took it out of him, being so hands on, but he had to be. Who else was going to sell the club to Ginola or convince the board that Beardsley was worth the money or that the stadium needed finished fully and even expanded. KK got greedy as well mind, he wanted better players, more money, but was reluctant to let anyone go like Sir Les for example. The IPO was the worst thing to happen to us, it drove KK out, transformed us into a PLC, made lots of people wealthy, people who didn’t deserve to be made wealthy and meant we were no longer an ambitious club wanting to win the league or the European Cup, but just being part of the gravy train.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Howaythetoon

Last one I went to a few years back we had a corporate table right up where he was stood and spent a canny bit that night and were probably the last ones to leave, before the great man himself of course. He sat with us for probably 40 minutes or so but it felt like 5 minutes and although he wouldn’t accept a drink, he talked to us all individually and collectively and when he talked about the fans and NUFC his eyes lit up and his face beemed. He is very much one of us and probably loves the club more than we do because he believed in it, fought for it and did so much to realise what he believed in and that was we are capable of being the biggest club in the world, should have the best team in the world and should get to watch the best kind of football in the world. I love the man me because he believed that when we were on the verge of relegation to the Sunderland league and were nowhere near even half our rivals in the 2nd division in terms of facilities, squad, funds and being able to compete to go up. What a man.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm looking forward to reading his autobiography without seeing HTT in the margin and just skipping the entire thing.

He's also at Gosforth Park Hotel this which i am going to,  can't wait.

I'm going to that as well. Slightly annoying now that I've paid £50 for a standard ticket, when I could have got VIP at  the Sage including his new book for £40, but never mind. Guessing the Sage will be more focused on his book, so maybe not the same type of thing.

Terry Mac is quoted about when they sanctioned the Milner Sale.

Madness. They thought they could get Bastian Schweinsteiger for the same money but were shocked when they were told he’d cost 50 million.

I don't think they had Bastian Schweinsteiger lined up at all, just pure bullshit to make KK sanction the deal. They just lie and lie and lie, why would that be any different.

No, Keegan and Terry Mac thought they had Schweinsteiger lined up. It wasn’t lies from up above (on this occasion)

I don't think they had Bastian Schweinsteiger lined up at all, just pure bullshit to make KK sanction the deal. They just lie and lie and lie, why would that be any different.

No, Keegan and Terry Mac thought they had Schweinsteiger lined up. It wasn’t lies from up above (on this occasion)

That's what i said like, 'they' as in Ashley and his fecking chumps.