Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Guest reefatoon

Utterly depressing. That is how the game of football should be judged. Dream big and aim high. Fuck I miss those days.

Guest reefatoon

Utterly depressing. That is how the game of football should be judged. Dream big and aim high. f*** I miss those days.

:thup: It’s what it’s all about, what he’s all about.

It’s why I get no enjoyment out of football now. So many teams just play to “not get beat” which results in negative, boring one sided football matches, where one of the superior teams just try to break down a 10 man defence. Keegan was never scared of the opposition, and only ever concentrated on how his team were going to win. Such an exciting time it was.

What is there to say about the man God?

That he gave me the most exciting time I've had in my life? Watching his teams was simply the best.

He will forever be special. He knew exactly what we wanted and craved for, and delivered it in bucket loads. It would have been the icing on the cake to have won the league, but, you know, missing out on that has not dimmed the glory he gave our club, our fans, the city.

...and look at what we have now....

That he gave me the most exciting time I've had in my life? Watching his teams was simply the best.

He will forever be special. He knew exactly what we wanted and craved for, and delivered it in bucket loads. It would have been the icing on the cake to have won the league, but, you know, missing out on that has not dimmed the glory he gave our club, our fans, the city.

Couldn't agree more. If somebody offered me a league title but that time would have never existed, I'd say no thanks.

Couldn't agree more. If somebody offered me a league title but that time would have never existed, I'd say no thanks.

I'm with you 100%. I wouldn't swap a single thing. Winning the title with Rafa (who I could also get emotional about) would not have been the same.

Those few years, man they were simply the best.

Utterly depressing. That is how the game of football should be judged. Dream big and aim high. f*** I miss those days.

It’s why I get no enjoyment out of football now. So many teams just play to “not get beat” which results in negative, boring one sided football matches, where one of the superior teams just try to break down a 10 man defence. Keegan was never scared of the opposition, and only ever concentrated on how his team were going to win. Such an exciting time it was.

I think a big part of that can be put down to how much money is in top level football now. Clubs that come up to the Premier League are so far away in terms of quality of player from many established PL clubs, never mind the top 6, that they have to play that way to stand a chance of stopping up and collecting that TV money. We've been doing it for the past 3 years (bar two spells under Benitez in the latter parts of his two PL seasons here), 2 of which because we've had to. In the 90s that wasn't so much the case I don't think. Correct me if I'm wrong as I didn't live through that era, but during the 90s there was nowhere near as much of a gulf or as much money so teams had more incentive to attack teams and play attacking football. Well, apart from Wimbledon.

I think a big part of that can be put down to how much money is in top level football now. Clubs that come up to the Premier League are so far away in terms of quality of player from many established PL clubs, never mind the top 6, that they have to play that way to stand a chance of stopping up and collecting that TV money. We've been doing it for the past 3 years (bar two spells under Benitez in the latter parts of his two PL seasons here), 2 of which because we've had to. In the 90s that wasn't so much the case I don't think. Correct me if I'm wrong as I didn't live through that era, but during the 90s there was nowhere near as much of a gulf or as much money so teams had more incentive to attack teams and play attacking football. Well, apart from Wimbledon.

I'd agree up to a point. There is more pressure on teams to avoid the financial penalties of relegation, and certain teams opt for a very defensive approach, home and away. To be honest, we may have a slightly more warped view as to the extent of the problem, as our own club has adopted an ultra defensive approach over the last four years, which may be down to the quality and nature of the squad as well.

What I'd say though is that the quality of top division football has improved a lot, and the general entertainment value has been enhanced. With the influx of foreign players and foreign coaches, the football is more refined and skilful. I'm not one who looks back fondly on the 'good old days'.

I'd agree up to a point. There is more pressure on teams to avoid the financial penalties of relegation, and certain teams opt for a very defensive approach, home and away. To be honest, we may have a slightly more warped view as to the extent of the problem, as our own club has adopted an ultra defensive approach over the last four years, which may be down to the quality and nature of the squad as well.

What I'd say though is that the quality of top division football has improved a lot, and the general entertainment value has been enhanced. With the influx of foreign players and foreign coaches, the football is more refined and skilful. I'm not one who looks back fondly on the 'good old days'.

Quality and refinement has definitely improved no end, but I think it makes watching a match more like a game of chess now, with teams just waiting for the other to make a mistake. Especially when a non-top6 team takes on one of the top 6. It's entertainment in a different way, but not as instantaneous, joyous and fun as it used to be where it was like anything could happen at any point.

Barring the odd exception you rarely see teams with the attitude of 'we'll just outscore you'. That was way more enjoyable than watching (as an example) Burnley vs Watford where both have 9-10 behind the ball and just sit waiting for a misplaced pass or a defensive cock-up which seems to be the norm now

That's great if you like watching other teams hire the best coaches and buy the best players. But we're stuck with a dinosaur manager and dinosaur football, so I do look back fondly on the good old days somewhat. It certainly felt a lot better being a Newcastle fan back then.

I'm with you 100%. I wouldn't swap a single thing. Winning the title with Rafa (who I could also get emotional about) would not have been the same.

Those few years, man they were simply the best.

If we played it right, we could convince the same Genie that Stan Collymore is our favourite person ever, then ask him what he'd give in exchange for wiping the past 13 years from existence.

The fact he’s still not involved in football (even as a president or director for life or something) and of this club is a crying shame man.

think that's more through choice, than anything else.

The fact he’s still not involved in football (even as a president or director for life or something) and of this club is a crying shame man.

Maybe I'm dreaming but I feel like NUFC is the only club that would tempt him in to an ambassadorial role. One thing's for sure is that we need to see that man out in the centre circle and given the reception he deserves before it's too late.

Maybe I'm dreaming but I feel like NUFC is the only club that would tempt him in to an ambassadorial role. One thing's for sure is that we need to see that man out in the centre circle and given the reception he deserves before it's too late.

Don't think he would be interested in an ambassadorial role, think he was very much a hands on, lead from the front manager, and I doubt he has the appetite for that any more.

Don't think he would be interested in an ambassadorial role, think he was very much a hands on, lead from the front manager, and I doubt he has the appetite for that any more.

Oooh I think hed do ambassadorial if we were a big player.

Doesn't an ambassador just make an appearance here and there and be a face of the club? I wouldn't expect him to be in a decision-making role. But his book shows he clearly wants to be be able to watch football at SJP again so I don't think it's too crazy to think we could persuade him to do it in some form of official but casual capacity.

Give him his seat at SJP, let him soak up the adoration from the fans, I guess show up to a charity event here and there on behalf of the club, at the max get him in to a meeting with a prospective signing now and then if they're not 100% sold to win them over with his charisma.

I just want him part of the club in some form again.  :'(