Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

that day was massive in the media all across the country.

grandstand and world of sport both had reporters there with regular pre-match updates.

and remember we had been out of the top flight for about 4 seasons.

The fact he’s still not involved in football (even as a president or director for life or something) and of this club is a crying shame man.

think that's more through choice, than anything else.

Maybe I'm dreaming but I feel like NUFC is the only club that would tempt him in to an ambassadorial role. One thing's for sure is that we need to see that man out in the centre circle and given the reception he deserves before it's too late.

Don't think he would be interested in an ambassadorial role, think he was very much a hands on, lead from the front manager, and I doubt he has the appetite for that any more.

Doesn't an ambassador just make an appearance here and there and be a face of the club? I wouldn't expect him to be in a decision-making role. But his book shows he clearly wants to be be able to watch football at SJP again so I don't think it's too crazy to think we could persuade him to do it in some form of official but casual capacity.

Give him his seat at SJP, let him soak up the adoration from the fans, I guess show up to a charity event here and there on behalf of the club, at the max get him in to a meeting with a prospective signing now and then if they're not 100% sold to win them over with his charisma.

I just want him part of the club in some form again.  :'(

Fair enough, would love to see him back here myself, think he would do wonders for the image of the club.

I recently read Kevin Keegan's autobiography "My Life in Football". All was well until the section about his time working at BeIN where he says something like "Richard Keys and Andy Gray are the absolute best in the business".

Best looking waitresses @ Denny's.

Fantastic! Spinetingling viewing that. God I wish I could feel so passionate now.

It's been mentioned numerous times but it's an absolute travesty that he is not the figurehead for NUFC - the passion he shows in this clip alone for the Club and the fans is amazing.

The King!

Guest Cheesy Beans

The first few pages of this thread :lol:

So many mentions of Ashley spending his money... Oh how naive on reflection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Howaythetoon

This was a really good watch, about Keegan's secrets of Leadership:

I actually think he's one of the most underrated managers ever.

Definitely

Even with a relatively shit team in his short stint under Ashley, it still felt like a football match was something to enjoy. I'm sure the critics were right, he had tactical flaws, but his football worked better than what we've been watching in the last 10 years, and it was fun to watch.

Even with a relatively s*** team in his short stint under Ashley, it still felt like a football match was something to enjoy. I'm sure the critics were right, he had tactical flaws, but his football worked better than what we've been watching in the last 10 years, and it was fun to watch.

But aren’t lots of those tactical flaws now what you might consider in the make up of a modern manager? Ie defenders who do more than just defend. Not sitting back and trying to defend a lead, Michael Owen in a position not to dissimilar to a false 9.

Had KK known how to sign a top keeper and bought Colin Hendry we’d have been almost unstoppable.

Totally agree, the central defenders just didn’t have that bit more needed to win those games where teams had us under pressure.

And the game at SJP against Man Utd, we battered them just as much as we did in the 5-0, just Schmeichel somehow kept the ball out of the net, then the sucker punch. Pav or Shaka never gave us that, as good as they were.

Also the game against Liverpool, the 4-3, with some proper leadership at the back we might have hung on in that game.

And that would have been the league..

We were a soft touch at times when we blew the league. Forget the games we usually think of that season, away games at Wimbledon, West Ham, Man City & typically Southampton spring to mind where we dropped points either through not being strong enough mentally or we just didn’t turn up.

This was a really good watch, about Keegan's secrets of Leadership:

I actually think he's one of the most underrated managers ever.

Cheers for the link.

Mad that he's a few months off 70. Doesn't look it at all, looks in great shape.

Even with a relatively s*** team in his short stint under Ashley, it still felt like a football match was something to enjoy. I'm sure the critics were right, he had tactical flaws, but his football worked better than what we've been watching in the last 10 years, and it was fun to watch.

But aren’t lots of those tactical flaws now what you might consider in the make up of a modern manager? Ie defenders who do more than just defend. Not sitting back and trying to defend a lead, Michael Owen in a position not to dissimilar to a false 9.

Yeah I think that's probably a fair call. If anything I always felt the players just didn't quite have the belief or experience of winning trophies and a few of them choked a bit at the end of the season.

Ian Woan/ Graeme Fenton, take your pick. So many missed opportunities to win the league, 1 signing away, we gave teams a chance and away from home too many times we weren’t strong enough. We should have won the league by at least 7 points. The raw figures from the league suggest  that we really were 2nd best, the truth is that it took a real combination of fairly unlikely circumstances for us not to win it.

I can’t believe to this day that some of the players doubted that they’d see it through. A real leader on the pitch; we’d have pissed it and would have built on it. We never recovered.