Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Prior to Keegan arriving in the February, that 91/92 season was incredibly grim. A different kind of grim to that which we are currently experiencing, but exceptionally grim all the same.

I remember being strangely fascinated by that season, it was Ardiles as manager right? It was weird because he was not only trying to bring that diamond formation to Newcastle but he was doing it with kids. I actually really admired what he was trying to do, but it was suicidal to do it with YTS kids and unheard of signings....who were also kids. :lol:

Yeah it was. To be fair to Ardiles, Smith had spent a fair bit before him and failed, Aediles didnt have a lot to play with.

Alan Thompson came through that season, I think there was one or two others who were canny as well. He also signed a couple of forwards who were quite pacy but crap  but can't for the life of me remember the names. Gary Brazil maybe, although not sure if that was a Smith signing, but there was another one who's name escapes me.

Yeah he did, along with Clark, Watson and Elliott if I remember correctly.

Brazil was under Smith, 89ish. Played about 40 games and scored 2-3 goals

Prior to Keegan arriving in the February, that 91/92 season was incredibly grim. A different kind of grim to that which we are currently experiencing, but exceptionally grim all the same.

I remember being strangely fascinated by that season, it was Ardiles as manager right? It was weird because he was not only trying to bring that diamond formation to Newcastle but he was doing it with kids. I actually really admired what he was trying to do, but it was suicidal to do it with YTS kids and unheard of signings....who were also kids. :lol:

Yeah it was. To be fair to Ardiles, Smith had spent a fair bit before him and failed, Aediles didnt have a lot to play with.

Alan Thompson came through that season, I think there was one or two others who were canny as well. He also signed a couple of forwards who were quite pacy but crap  but can't for the life of me remember the names. Gary Brazil maybe, although not sure if that was a Smith signing, but there was another one who's name escapes me.

Ardiles signed a tall rangy kid who Oliver kept talking up because of his pace ( pace was a real luxury asset for a Newcastle forward in those days!) but can't remember his name. Will have to do a bit of googling.

EDIT: found it, Andy Hunt. What a no mark he was. :lol:

Would 1990-91 and 1991-92 prior to Keegan be the worst the club's been at? Obviously you could suggest now but there might not be a Newcastle United FC if we hadn't have stayed up in 92. Late 70s and early 80s again prior to Keegan must have been awful too?

Ardiles signed a tall rangy kid who Oliver kept talking up because of his pace ( pace was a real luxury asset for a Newcastle forward in those days!) but can't remember his name. Will have to do a bit of googling.

Didn't he go on to have an ok-ish career?

I met Keegan at one of his book signings in London.  For all the cliches about never meeting your hero - the guy is everything you'd hope he would be.  So generous with his time and makes you feel like he's genuinely interested in you. 

He insisted on having numerous photos with my family and made a big joke about standing on chair for a photo with me and my brother as we're both quite tall. He's just got such amazing charisma.  Feel so lucky to have seen his team play (and Bobby's as well).  We might have been shit for years, but you can't take away those memories.

I still remember being in the Gallowgate corner when David Kelly's shot hit the net in that Portsmouth game. Not sure if I have ever celebrated a NUFC goal as much as that. It came at a point in the game when I had all but accepted that we were heading for the 3rd divison.

Scoreboard for me that day and I fully agree with those sentiments 👍

Andy Hunt did ok for us, in what was a poor side. I also remember the likes of Tommy Gaynor, Andy Walker ahd Dave Mitchell coming in on loan prior to KK landing.

Didn't he go on to have an ok-ish career?

Might have done tbf, was quite excited with his signing at the time, looked the part but never really had much time to get going, maybe Ardiles got sacked and he got moved on.

Just looking at the results again for that 91/92 season and I completely forgot that, prior to the crucial Portsmouth home win, we lost 5 games in a row. Just shows the miracle that KK performed in eventually reversing the negative momentum & rescuing us as we would have dropped without him, no doubt about it. Even more miraculous how we started the following season so blisteringly well with what was more or less the same team. Someone remind me who we bought that summer of 92 though to bolster the team? Obviously we bought Rob Lee early into the season (September?), but who came in the summer apart from John Beresford? Was Kevin Sheedy another?

My memory is definitely on the wane. How could I forget Venison & Bracewell. Doh.

Have to say I loved Venison's passion, especially for an ex-Mackem.

People always talk about Rob Lee, but Vension was an absolutely superb signing, especially for £250k or whatever.

78 to 81 felt awful from football side but I was there home and away throughout and have some brilliant memories.

The season before Varadi arrived under Arthur Cox was pretty fucking dire mind. Shinton, Clarke, Shoulder & Rafferty as our strikers.

I still remember being in the Gallowgate corner when David Kelly's shot hit the net in that Portsmouth game. Not sure if I have ever celebrated a NUFC goal as much as that. It came at a point in the game when I had all but accepted that we were heading for the 3rd divison.

https://www.newcastle-online.org/forum/index.php

Andy Hunt did ok for us, in what was a poor side. I also remember the likes of Tommy Gaynor, Andy Walker ahd Dave Mitchell coming in on loan prior to KK landing.

Was there celebrations in the gallowgate after that game or people staying behind because it was the last day or something because have this vague memory of being dragged out at the Leazes End of the East Stand and something going on in the Gallowgate or at least people weren't leaving. Was their a lap of appreciation that day ? Looked like people were sitting down for something.

On 91/92 statistically the worst in the clubs history but its strangely fascinating to me too where 90/91 was absolutely not.  Maybe playing so many kids, playing such good football and being comically bad took the edge off. Also the boycott ended and the crowds were up after Hall got control.

Add ourselves and Barnet being mental for goals for and against that season, Derby and Blackburn being the Man City's of the day in the second tier, Sheffield Wed nearly taking the title race down to the last week and Cambridge nearly getting into the Premier League and Liverpool becoming s**t courtesy of Souness. Was a bizarre time.

Was there celebrations in the gallowgate after that game or people staying behind because it was the last day or something because have this vague memory of being dragged out at the Leazes End of the East Stand and something going on in the Gallowgate or at least people weren't leaving. Was their a lap of appreciation that day ?

Can’t remember as left at full time for the supporters bus.

My memory is definitely on the wane. How could I forget Venison & Bracewell. Doh.

Have to say I loved Venison's passion, especially for an ex-Mackem.

Actually Bracewell was probably one of my favourite ex-Mackem signings. He could teach a thing or two to our current midfielders about the art of central midfield. He was part of a fantastic midfield duo with Peyter Reiyd at Everton, they were brilliant at pressing the ball and quick first time passing. Bossed the midfield battles while they were together and played a big part in winning Howard Kendall the title. I don't think even he expected that much success from signing those two.

Great pro, him and Venison definitely added some quality and experience to the side.

Was their much vitriol towards Venison and Bracewell when they happened?

None at all, as they both settled on straightaway and were class. Venison was actually capped by England, when Venables was in charge.

Absolutely. Welcomed with open arms to the best of my recollection.

3 games in, thank God Srnicek improved as time went by. :lol:

I tweeted the video for this this morning after getting a strange urge to watch it when I woke up before the milkman today. Assuming that's where you decided to watch it from, or are you also a weirdo who had a strange urge to watch it randomly  :lol:

Pav was fucking terrible, and Wright wasn't exactly great either. Some of the defending as well  :lol:

Bracewell scored a worldie on his debut against Southend, it was immediately clear that he was class. Venison surprised me tbh, I thought of him as a die hard Sunderland fan and overrated (no idea if he was - born in Consett) but he bought into KK’s style and he was great for us.

I can’t think of any player we’ve signed from Sunderland who was given a hard time. Jeff Clarke was good for us as was Alan Brown on loan.