Holidays

TRC

Naples was rainy as fuck but still good. It's such a weird city.

It genuinely looks like their council or whatever haven't spent any money (beyond the bare minimum) since the 70s. We rag on the metro for being old and shit but it looks full on space aged compared to the load-baring-graffiti of their trains. They have this fun little thing where loads of the paths are brick paved but instead of replacing the bricks if anything happens they just dump a load of tarmac in the hole so the streets look like patchwork. That's if they actually do fill in the holes though as there's still plenty of potholes. The entire city is a trip hazard. 

But on the other side of the coin it's laid out really well. It never felt like you were in a defined city centre. Loads of different areas to walk between or funiculars to hop on. Fuck all in the way of chain restaurants (beyond the standard McDs, KFC or BK) as far as I could tell so there was always plenty of choice for independent stuff. I never felt unsafe at any point, even walking through some pretty deprived looking areas.

29 minutes ago, Papavasiliou said:

It genuinely looks like their council or whatever haven't spent any money (beyond the bare minimum) since the 70s. We rag on the metro for being old and shit but it looks full on space aged compared to the load-baring-graffiti of their trains. They have this fun little thing where loads of the paths are brick paved but instead of replacing the bricks if anything happens they just dump a load of tarmac in the hole so the streets look like patchwork. That's if they actually do fill in the holes though as there's still plenty of potholes. The entire city is a trip hazard. 

But on the other side of the coin it's laid out really well. It never felt like you were in a defined city centre. Loads of different areas to walk between or funiculars to hop on. Fuck all in the way of chain restaurants (beyond the standard McDs, KFC or BK) as far as I could tell so there was always plenty of choice for independent stuff. I never felt unsafe at any point, even walking through some pretty deprived looking areas.

Tell me about the food baby

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Tell me about the food baby

ALL OF THE PIZZA

Had an absolutely beautiful one with a smoked cheese on it and the best basil ever. Never thought I'd ever be ranking basil till I had that pizza but it was so bloody good.

Did a pizza making class too which was great.  

8 hours ago, Troll said:

Where?  Going to take a day trip to Naples just for the pizza.

If you don't go to Starita you will regret it. 

Even the Naples 'chain' pizza places are off the scale. 

11 hours ago, St. Maximin said:

Planning on a new city to visit with some friends late Feb. Not the best weather but we’re thinking Istanbul currently. Anyone been and recommend? How expensive is it?

Went to Istanbul a few years ago, it was amazing. Fantastic place to visit, having basically 2 or 3 different cities in one. The historic buildings are incredible. 

I haven't been since Erdogan went a bit more crazy, but I assume the city itself is still basically the same and welcoming to tourists.

I can't remember how expensive it is TBH, we did treat ourselves to one boutique hotel by the Bosphorus for a couple of nights (https://www.sumahan.com) but otherwise stayed somewhere basic in the older part. You don't really need to spend that much when you're there, but obvs there's a full range of food from dodgy to pricey. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

4 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Went to Istanbul a few years ago, it was amazing. Fantastic place to visit, having basically 2 or 3 different cities in one. The historic buildings are incredible. 

I haven't been since Erdogan went a bit more crazy, but I assume the city itself is still basically the same and welcoming to tourists.

I can't remember how expensive it is TBH, we did treat ourselves to one boutique hotel by the Bosphorus for a couple of nights (https://www.sumahan.com) but otherwise stayed somewhere basic in the older part. You don't really need to spend that much when you're there, but obvs there's a full range of food from dodgy to pricey. 

Sounds great, thanks mate :thup: . I might have a few days too keen to see the different parts in both Europe and Asia. I heard the currency is really low due to inflation, which is sad there but beneficial to tourists at least… and I’m sure the food is excellent. 

30 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

She found it under the printer. Fuck know why she put it there. She doesn't  remember. Never seen her so stressed in my life. 

The immediate relief after finding it must have been worth the stress. :lol:

Edited by Pata

On 23/01/2023 at 11:28, Papavasiliou said:

Which area did you stay mate? We stayed in porta nolana up by the bus station for four nights last August. To say it is deprived is an understatement.

By the way chaps, Naples was the birthplace of Gino D'Acampo, the TV chef who in the late 90s spent two years inside after burgling the house of 80s pop star Paul Young 

Edited by dorty