Spike Lee's When The Levees Broke

Happy Face

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Spike Lee is a shite director from what I've seen of his films, which is 25th Hour, something with lesbians, Summer of Sam, few others.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I liked that scene in 25th hour where Edward Norton gets the absolute shite kicked out of him, I heard he added that after working with Norton for a bit on the set he felt it was appropriate. Summer of Sam is funny as well, I just can't take anything he does seriously

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Do The Right thing is excellent

Malcolm X is very good

Jungle fever is good.

I'll have to see them someday. I can't help feel he's living on past glories but I suppose that happens a lot in the film industry. Just a few things piss me off about him, supporting Arsenal, and his constant rants on racism

Malcolm X is very good

Jungle fever is good.

I'll have to see them someday. I can't help feel he's living on past glories but I suppose that happens a lot in the film industry. Just a few things piss me off about him, supporting Arsenal, and his constant rants on racism

If his position on racism isn't to your taste, I wouldn't bother with any of those three.

Actually Do The Right Thing is very even handed.

how does he portray Malcolm X?

What stands out in my memory is the first hour where malcolm is a hood, they don't shirk away from the truth of his misdemeanours but rather try to explain them..  Once he's jailed and reformed Denzel Washington's already great performance gets better, but it becomes less interesting as spectacle and more as document.

I haven't seen it, but is it some sort of white conspiracy against blacks, and it would never have happened if New Orleans was all white?

I flicked over to Paramount Comedy yesterday and saw the stand up comedian Chris Rock, 10 seconds in and off he goes "white people....black people"

Malcolm X is supposed to become a better person after his early criminal days after meeting a member of the Nation of Islam in prison (white people are evil) and he spends his days writing out each word in the dictionary. Blah blah blah he goes to Mecca, leaves the Nation of Islam after seeing the mixture of races on his pilgrimage and becomes a proper muslim, then he gets shot and dies. Preached segregation blah blah blah, idolised more than M.L.King by some people.

I haven't seen it, but is it some sort of white conspiracy against blacks, and it would never have happened if New Orleans was all white?

The conspiracy part of the film is limited to less than a couple of minutes where they point out that based on historical context (the accepted fact that the levees were blown up to flood the poorer parts of town at least once before, some claim twice but the second time isn't generally accepted) it's not stretching the imagination too far for these people to believe it could be done again.  This is not based on any sort of race card, the last time it happened thousands of white people were killed and millions left homeless, which Lee explicitly points out.  The Levees being exploded was historically to save the business end of town so the state can continue to function to some degree.  The flooded inhabitants understandably harbour a grudge having lost everything and had so little help afterwards, so they're willing to believe their government would screw them, as it would be odd for them not to.

The film asks questions, but can't answer all of them, and I've not seen them answered anywhere else.  How could it take the US, the richest nation in the world, 4 or 5 days to provide any sort of aid to it's own people, when the world could respond within 2 days to aid Indonesia?  How could the US top brass refuse the help offered to them from other nations if they couldn't cope?  Why, one year later are bodies still in abandoned properties?  Why does all the state's oil profits (one third of the US total) go to the Federal government while Texas get to keep all theirs?

If it happened in Texas, Bush would have been on it so fast these questions would never have occured.  A lot of people in the film put it down to race, I just think it's the entire underclass being discriminated, the fact that the majority of the underclass is black is down to the crimes of older generations.  The perpetuation of black alienation in Orleans is about cash, not race.

Malcolm X is very good

Jungle fever is good.

I thought 25th Hour and Summer of Sam were quality too tbh. Especially the former.

I thought 25th Hour and Summer of Sam were quality too tbh. Especially the former.

I still need to see 25th hour.

I liked Summer of Sam, but even if someone doesn't like it, I think it's unfair for them to write Spike Lee off as shit when he's made a classic and some very good films they haven't seen.

I still need to see 25th hour.

I liked Summer of Sam, but even if someone doesn't like it, I think it's unfair for them to write Spike Lee off as shit when he's made a classic and some very good films they haven't seen.

Liked 'Clockers' too. Not sure about 'Bamboozled' though :lol: 'She's Gotta Have It' is dodgy too although it was his first film.

Happy Face

Why does all the state's oil profits (one third of the US total) go to the Federal government while Texas get to keep all theirs?

What has that got to do with hurricane Katrina?

The U.S states each own oil fields, refineries etc, but apart from Texas, don't keep all the profits? is someone robbing the government of its profits? who is it?

Happy Face

Why does all the state's oil profits (one third of the US total) go to the Federal government while Texas get to keep all theirs?

What has that got to do with hurricane Katrina?

The U.S states each own oil fields, refineries etc, but apart from Texas, don't keep all the profits? is someone robbing the government of its profits? who is it?

The whole oil feild thing was news to me, but the point being made in relation to Katrina was that Louissianna is one of the poorest states in the US, yet it supplies the federal government with over 30% of domestic oil.  If they were amply rewarded for that contribution, the state itself could afford the regeneration work required to re-house its own people.  Becasue they aren't, you'd expect the government to take care of them, but their priority is to secure foreign oil fields, the states reliance on the federal resources has crippled them as those funds are not forthcoming.