Corrective laser eye surgery

Dave

Glasses, sonny, glasses :cool:.

I wear them.  I hate them.

Laser surgery ftw.

Plus the "You should have gone to Specsavers, ref" "Optical Express is fine thanks" joke is wearing a bit thin now.

I would definitely consider having it done.  You can get it done for about £600 per eye or something these days, can't you?  The only thing that put me off was my mate had it done a few year back and he was told to sleep in sunglasses cos you aren't able to rub your eyes as you have to allow the surface of your eye to heal after they've basically cut it and flipped it open - the danger is that when you wake up you go to rub your eyes without thinking.  The thought of rubbing your eye and putting your finger through it makes me wince.  blueeek.gif

I would definitely consider having it done. You can get it done for about £600 per eye or something these days, can't you? The only thing that put me off was my mate had it done a few year back and he was told to sleep in sunglasses cos you aren't able to rub your eyes as you have to allow the surface of your eye to heal after they've basically cut it and flipped it open - the danger is that when you wake up you go to rub your eyes without thinking. The thought of rubbing your eye and putting your finger through it makes me wince. blueeek.gif

That, and the thought of subconciously moving your eye when the laser's doing the business - do you have to stare straight at it yourself or do they knock you out? Surely if you moved it you'd be fucked?

I would definitely consider having it done. You can get it done for about £600 per eye or something these days, can't you? The only thing that put me off was my mate had it done a few year back and he was told to sleep in sunglasses cos you aren't able to rub your eyes as you have to allow the surface of your eye to heal after they've basically cut it and flipped it open - the danger is that when you wake up you go to rub your eyes without thinking. The thought of rubbing your eye and putting your finger through it makes me wince. blueeek.gif

That, and the thought of subconciously moving your eye when the laser's doing the business - do you have to stare straight at it yourself or do they knock you out? Surely if you moved it you'd be fucked?

I know nothing about laser eye surgery but I'm presuming fesuming for that exact reason you would be knocked out.

I'm not so sure, i'm certain i was told they just clamp your eyelids back (like A Clockwork Orange) and put local anaesthic drops in. That means you would see the knife/cutting device coming in and also have to stare at the laser...

I'm not so sure, i'm certain i was told they just clamp your eyelids back (like A Clockwork Orange) and put local anaesthic drops in. That means you would see the knife/cutting device coming in and also have to stare at the laser...

There is a version these days where no cutting is required, I believe.  I'm not sure about whether you get knocked out or not - I would think you have more control over your eyes awake than asleep though.

There is a version these days where no cutting is required, I believe. I'm not sure about whether you get knocked out or not - I would think you have more control over your eyes awake than asleep though.

From Wikipedia:

'Laser Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) is the most commonly performed refractive surgery procedure in 2005. It is performed for a wide range of nearsightedness. The surgeon uses an instrument called a microkeratome to cut a flap of corneal tissue, opens the flap like a hinged door, removes the targeted tissue in the corneal stroma beneath it with the excimer laser, and then replaces the flap. Some variations don't use a microkeratome but cut the flap with a laser (intralase).'

Pfff i lied to my optician so i could get a pair, can't really wear them they hurt my eyes after a while. Why does everyone hate glasses these days?

I still think it's strange how getting teeth whitened and getting your eyes sorted out for pretty much ever, is around the same price.

Pfff i lied to my optician so i could get a pair, can't really wear them they hurt my eyes after a while. Why does everyone hate glasses these days?

:lol:

You might like wearing your glasses a bit less if you actually HAD to wear them to be able to see properly.  Why on earth would you lie to your optician so that you could pay for the privilege of wearing glasses? bluebigrazz.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LASIK

'Currently manufactured excimer lasers use a computer system that tracks the patient's eye position up to 4,000 times per second, redirecting laser pulses for precise placement.'

Sounds alright then. :)

:lol:

You might like wearing your glasses a bit less if you actually HAD to wear them to be able to see properly. Why on earth would you lie to your optician so that you could pay for the privilege of wearing glasses? bluebigrazz.gif

Because i caught my eye on a gucci pair, so i thought, just say my eyes hurt when im at the computer and she'll give me a shit lense. She wasn't going to bother, but then i put it on a bit more. So they are a bit strong, didn't have the common sense to ask about plain lenses like, so the wanting them for intelligent look, obviously went amiss.

Guest OmahaNUFC

I had the "surgery" performed one and a half years ago in the States.  I cannot remember exactly, but I think each eye cost around $1,800.  Maybe more, maybe less.  I had fairly thick lens for the glasses I wore before the procedure, but now I have 20/20 vision in one eye and 20/10 in another.  I still have "floaters" because corrective eye surgery doesn't eliminate these.  I will also still need glasses when I get older to read, but this is just a natural aging process.

Here's is how the procedure works from what I remember.  They dialate your pupils and put numbing drops in your eyes.  You wait for a bit for those to take effect.  They do use tape and another apparatus to keep your eyelids open and eyelashes from getting in the way.  You are conscious the entire time; it would be impossible to do the procedure if you weren't.  Once your eyes are numb the doctors slices open part of your eye so they can shape your cornea or whatever with the laser.  You have to look at a red dot while the laser is shooting into your eye.  This takes a minute or so.  When the laser is shooting into your eye there was the computer-generated voice counting down.  That was creepy  Then the doctor does something to your eye, looks at it, and moves on to the other eye to do the same process.  The whole procedure was fairly quick and interesting.  It's cool when the doctor slices your eye.  Your vision is completely blurred and the lights in the room look like something from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.  You also lose eyesight for a very brief period of time during the procedure.  That is kinda scary.  After the procedure is done your vision is blurred for a couple days.  The first day I had to wear protective goggle and then every night while I slept for a few weeks.  Your eyes are strained, but not sore, the rest of the day and a little bit for the next day.

I absolutely hate my glasses, contact lenses are one of the best things i've done in the last couple of years.

If I knew it was 100% guaranteed success, i'd do it. But you've only got 1 pair of eyes and i'd hate it to go wrong and be blind or whatever.

I had the "surgery" performed one and a half years ago in the States.  I cannot remember exactly, but I think each eye cost around $1,800.  Maybe more, maybe less.  I had fairly thick lens for the glasses I wore before the procedure, but now I have 20/20 vision in one eye and 20/10 in another.  I still have "floaters" because corrective eye surgery doesn't eliminate these.  I will also still need glasses when I get older to read, but this is just a natural aging process.

Here's is how the procedure works from what I remember.  They dialate your pupils and put numbing drops in your eyes.  You wait for a bit for those to take effect.  They do use tape and another apparatus to keep your eyelids open and eyelashes from getting in the way.  You are conscious the entire time; it would be impossible to do the procedure if you weren't.  Once your eyes are numb the doctors slices open part of your eye so they can shape your cornea or whatever with the laser.  You have to look at a red dot while the laser is shooting into your eye.  This takes a minute or so.  When the laser is shooting into your eye there was the computer-generated voice counting down.  That was creepy  Then the doctor does something to your eye, looks at it, and moves on to the other eye to do the same process.  The whole procedure was fairly quick and interesting.  It's cool when the doctor slices your eye.  Your vision is completely blurred and the lights in the room look like something from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.  You also lose eyesight for a very brief period of time during the procedure.  That is kinda scary.  After the procedure is done your vision is blurred for a couple days.  The first day I had to wear protective goggle and then every night while I slept for a few weeks.  Your eyes are strained, but not sore, the rest of the day and a little bit for the next day.

Cheers, sounds very similar to what i've previously heard.