Spyware

Belfast Boy

I realise there is probably a thread about this already so a link to it would be apprieciated, but if not here goes.

My Father-in-laws pc runs on Windows XP Home with IE and he has McAfee on it. He has now got a red circle with a white cross in the task bar which constantly produces a pop up saying the following:

Your Computer is Infected!

Windows has detected Spyware infection!

It is recommended to use special antspyware tools to prevent

data loss, Windows will now download and install the most

up to date antispyware for you.

Click here to protect your computer from spyware.

Nothing happens when you click the window but it constantly pops up and the pc seems to have slowed since it appeared. Is it some sort of virus, if so what is the best way to get rid. Or is it some sort of annoying advert to try and make you buy some 'antispyware' software?

I realise there is probably a thread about this already so a link to it would be apprieciated, but if not here goes.

My Father-in-laws pc runs on Windows XP Home with IE and he has McAfee on it. He has now got a red circle with a white cross in the task bar which constantly produces a pop up saying the following:

Your Computer is Infected!

Windows has detected Spyware infection!

It is recommended to use special antspyware tools to prevent

data loss, Windows will now download and install the most

up to date antispyware for you.

Click here to protect your computer from spyware.

Nothing happens when you click the window but it constantly pops up and the pc seems to have slowed since it appeared. Is it some sort of virus, if so what is the best way to get rid. Or is it some sort of annoying advert to try and make you buy some 'antispyware' software?

Download the trial version of ewido from here update it and run a scan, if there's something dodgy on your pc it's more than likely to find it for you.

Get it here:

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/