oh god! please help, i can be left with 1 gig of music for the rest of my life!

Jimburst

i was on my computer earlier today, playing music and on msn, and my mates called round, so i shut down the computer and wmp properly, including the shutdown commands etc.

so i switch my computer on 4/5 hours later, no one has touched it, and i go to put my music on, before i have connected to AOL, and all my music files go orange and wmp, real player and VLC all decide they cant play the files with an error message like:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly

so, when i go to the helper thingy and i get it to take me to sound and speakers setup, and everything says "no devices selected" in everything, and you cant click on anything...

so i put my massive attack CD in, and it comes with the same warning message...so its not the actual files...

i tested this by sending my mate some music that i cant play on my computer, but he can when sent it over msn...

please guys, i cant survive without music, 'specially all the music i have downloaded/been sent over msn! :(

can you help? bluesigh.gif

Guest Tarantula

Check your "Sound, video and game controllers" in device manager and see if there's anything wrong with your sound card drivers (either the device can be missing or there could be an exclamation mark next to it). If it is, a reinstallation of the drivers should help.