Going to New York- Help needed!

lovejoy

going to new york from 27th dec till 1st jan for new year etc, been offered a few deals, one is £500 a head, fly from manc - heathrow, heathrow - JFK, all sounds good but the hotel is in 'Secaucus Meadowlands' which apparently is in new jersey, the agent seems to tell me that it is only 7 miles away and is nothing in a taxi but im a bit sceptical.

can ayone help??

is 'secaucus' too far out??

is £500 a canny deal???

New York is always busy but sometimes it's ridiculously busy. :winking:

Not certain but JFK to nearly any hotel in Manhattan is about $45 iirc. Problem is NJ is the other side of Manhattan, over the Hudson. It'll take longer and cost a bit more too. Sure someone will be able to give much more info.

It's only a few miles out and sounds like a canny deal to me like. It's worth the money to buy a week pass for the underground too, by far the best way of travelling round even though some strange people get on it.

It's only a few miles out and sounds like a canny deal to me like. It's worth the money to buy a week pass for the underground too, by far the best way of travelling round even though some strange people get on it.

do you now new york mate?or have you been?? im just worried that secaucus isnt realy as close/easy to get to as the agent is making out???

do you now new york mate?or have you been?? im just worried that secaucus isnt realy as close/easy to get to as the agent is making out???

http://www.secaucus.org/

:thup:

Scroll down and you can get a map of the area. Looks quite close to Manhattan so you'll be fine in a cab.

Guest elbee909

"Information for residents and visitors about Secaucus, New Jersey: in the heart of Meadowlands and just minutes from New York City."

If it's near the New Jersey/New York then it will be relatively easy and cheap to get to New York.

http://i.infoplease.com/images/mnewyork.gif

As you can see on there NYC is on the southern tip of New York state is very close New Jersey

cheers lads, seems om actually.

had another offer to stay at the sohotel in little italy for an extra £100.

just wondering if i should spend the extra and stay closer in since its a one off holiday?? maybe i would spend teh difference in taxi's staying at teh other place (secaucus)??

just wondering if i should spend the extra and stay closer in since its a one off holiday?? maybe i would spend teh difference in taxi's staying at teh other place (secaucus)??

Do it.  blueyes.gif

My suggestion would be finding a board with a few New Yorkers about who can piont you in the right direction about what to do.  :)

Do it.  blueyes.gif

which one? the £500 or the £600 little italy bad boy???

Do it.  blueyes.gif

Personally I'd go for the Little Italy one. Manhattan is the place to be. As stozo says, it may be worth asking a few lercals though.  :cool:

Do it.  blueyes.gif

Personally I'd go for the Little Italy one. Manhattan is the place to be. As stozo says, it may be worth asking a few lercals though.  :cool:

im just going to get it booked mate, i bet its lovely at xmas.

cheers for the help lads

Guest zerocipher

Go for the Little Italy one. Taking the PATH train from Jersey, or even a cab would be too much of a pain in the ass. Just be ready for the hihg prices of everything in Manhattan compared to what you wouldf have paid in Jersey. Dinner will cost you 4-5$ more, etc etc.

DEFINITELY go the little extra to stay in Manhattan. you'll save the money on not having to pay for transport and it will be more convenient. it'll give you a lot more freedom, not having to worry about getting back out to NJ late at night, being able to walk to a cafe for breakfast, leaving the hotel door and being right on the streets next to some of the most vibrant areas in the world like SoHo or TriBeCa, rather than having to spend ages "commuting" in.

Guest Thandi_45

Hello, I'm actually in NJ for a semester at some uni. I go past that secacus? train station everytime i go to NY, which has been 5 times and i've only been here 3 weeks! My cousin came down to visit and he got a hotel just the otherside of the tunnel in NJ. The taxi cabs here are very expensive and they are corrupt bastards. So go with the Little Italy option, it will probably be cheaper than the other option cause you save on fares. I ended up paying around 200 dollars in one night on taxi's. It was about 50 dollars to get to and from the hotel, and its hard to get cabs depending on the time of day.

My friend is actually coming to visit me on the same dates, so have a good one mate, I know i will.

P.S can anyone recommend me a way to watch newcastle games from here. (I have no TV)