Who is better?

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

At one time Parky couldn't quote people. Now he can't stop doing it.

I could but my old Mac refused.  :lol:

Just making up for lost time, eh? ;)

Guest Coubury

easily Arsene Wenger

Alex has always ahd millions to buy superstars Wenger creates superstars lol

also has an eye for a bargain

I was reading the forum today at college and it raised this discussion amongst my friends.

And the question i raised was at the average club who doesnt have much cash, which manager would they prefer.

Everyone agreed Wenger.

And the question i raised was at the average club who doesnt have much cash, which manager would they prefer.

Everyone agreed Wenger.

Why?

For example, a team like fulham who have a bit of cash, but not that much, would be better under wengers guidance than Fergies, who i believe heavily relies on money!

Whereas i think Wenger could build up a quality team with little money, look at Kolo Clichy and Eboue less than 2 million for the 3!

And i reckon them players would all have been willing to join a steady premier league side when they were at their other clubs!

Everyone agreed Wenger.

Why?

For example, a team like fulham who have a bit of cash, but not that much, would be better under wengers guidance than Fergies, who i believe heavily relies on money!

Whereas i think Wenger could build up a quality team with little money, look at Kolo Clichy and Eboue less than 1.5 million for the 3!

And i reckon them players would all have been willing to join a steady premier league side when they were at their other clubs!

Would be different with Arsenal and Fulham. The £1.5m spent on the three you name is a bit of a red herring, as plenty of money is spent on other players at Arsenal so that those three made it.

Everyone agreed Wenger.

Why?

Whereas i think Wenger could build up a quality team with little money, look at Kolo Clichy and Eboue less than 2 million for the 3!

I remember Fergie at Aberdeen when he made them the dominant force in scottish football which is massive achievement. He also  won Aberdeen a couple of European titles, I dont think Wegner has won any with any club.  Fergie would adapt to his surroundings, that I have no doubt & he is the better manager.

They each have very different approaches, but have achieved a lot of success in their own way, so it's difficult to compare.

Wenger has done fantastically well to buck the trend and build a great young side through the ranks. I've often felt with him though that he had a great bit of luck when he first joined Arsenal, by inheriting the best back five that the English game has ever seen. That was the foundation of his success, and he's kept the momentum up. It might have been very different if he hadn't started with that advantage.

With Fergie, you can say he's had money to spend and he's at England's biggest club, but that brings its pressure. When he joined Man U, they hadn't won the league for over 20 years. It was a similar situation to Liverpool now, only worse - many good men had come in and failed. It wasn't an easy job.

Everyone agreed Wenger.

Why?

Whereas i think Wenger could build up a quality team with little money, look at Kolo Clichy and Eboue less than 1.5 million for the 3!

Would be different with Arsenal and Fulham. The £1.5m spent on the three you name is a bit of a red herring, as plenty of money is spent on other players at Arsenal so that those three made it.

It's not really a red hering if they're in the black below the line isn't it? Of course they spend more money on players than just a handful of millions, but they recoup it by selling at a profit when the player is just past their prime and they have a ready made, perfectly groomed replacement lined up. Wenger edges it. It's hard to imagine where we would have been with a manager like him and the money we have spent over the last five or so seasons..

There's only really a couple of things Wenger hasn't achieved that stick out for me - the Champions League and back-to-back Premier League titles. And Mowen got it spot on imo.

What a fantastic post.

There's only really a couple of things Wenger hasn't achieved that stick out for me - the Champions League and back-to-back Premier League titles. And Mowen got it spot on imo.

What a fantastic post.

:lol:

Everyone agreed Wenger.

Why?

It's not really a red hering if they're in the black below the line isn't it? Of course they spend more money on players than just a handful of millions, but they recoup it by selling at a profit when the player is just past their prime and they have a ready made, perfectly groomed replacement lined up. Wenger edges it. It's hard to imagine where we would have been with a manager like him and the money we have spent over the last five or so seasons..

Ash said that Wenger could have developed those three players at a small club with small finances, whereas I'm saying he wouldn't because he needed to purchase more than those three individuals such that the environment was there for them to develop. Arsenal's finances are irrelevant in this case.

Everyone agreed Wenger.

Why?

Ash said that Wenger could have developed those three players at a small club with small finances, whereas I'm saying he wouldn't because he needed to purchase more than those three individuals such that the environment was there for them to develop. Arsenal's finances are irrelevant in this case.

If you look at Fulham's spending this season you'll realise it's well more than 1,5M, so I think it's fair to say Arsene Wenger would have been able to make Fulham (and Newcastle) better, just like he did Arsenal. Both managers would to be fair, but I don't think you can argue with Wenger's wheeling and dealing.. Arsenal's finance are relevant insofar that they prove that Wenger can make a profit whilst making the team better..

easily Arsene Wenger

Why hasn't he won as much then?

easily Arsene Wenger

Because Fergies had longer and Wenger has had stiff competition all the way through, some years it was a given Manu were to win the title at least, for Wenger he's had to break a dominant force that was backed my massive financial clout.

He's done a great job. Wenger is far superior, but its a great debate though.

easily Arsene Wenger

Because Fergies had longer and Wenger has had stiff competition all the way through, some years it was a given Manu were to win the title at least, for Wenger he's had to break a dominant force that was backed my massive financial clout.

Bit harsh on Fergie that like. Let us not remember it was some 20 odd years previous that Man Utd had won the league to him taking over, and him making the team one of the most dominant in English football history.

easily Arsene Wenger

Bit harsh on Fergie that like. Let us not remember it was some 20 odd years previous that Man Utd had won the league to him taking over, and him making the team one of the most dominant in English football history.

Don't forget Wenger has to wrestle that dominant force while making his name. Fergie had nothing fighting him, we put up one of his biggest fights and we were a recently promoted club.

Fergie has had it easy imo.

Ridiculous to label either 'far superior' imo. The argument Wenger is just doesn't stand up. And it's about winning things at the end of the day for both clubs concerned. Also, Ferguson averages a league title every other year at Man Utd and he didn't win it for about 7 years after arriving.

easily Arsene Wenger

Don't forget Wenger has to wrestle that dominant force while making his name. Fergie had nothing fighting him, we put up one of his biggest fights and we were a recently promoted club.

Fergie has had it easy imo.

He created the team that no one could get close to though. The gap was there mainly because they were so good.