Stan Collymore

Guest Armchair Pundit

Guest Armchair Pundit

From SSN:

Stan Collymore is ready to make a sensational return to football after claiming he is good enough to play in The Premiership.

The 35-year-old former England international has been out of the game for five-and-a-half years after leaving Real Oviedo in 2001.

Despite his prolonged absence, along with several personal problems he claims he has now overcome, Collymore insists he is in great shape and ready to make the most unlikely of comebacks.

Collymore is currently in Tenerife undergoing three weeks of intense fitness training and when he returns to England, he will set off his search for a new club in earnest.

"I`ve had physical tests and I`m confident I will come back faster, stronger and fitter than I ever was," Collymore told the Daily Mirror.

"A month from today, I guarantee I will be able to stand side by side with any striker in the country and my physique will be up there with any of them.

"This time, I`m not going to self-destruct. You are not going to see headlines about me being kicked out of a bar somewhere in the early hours rolling drunk.

"I know I can still be among the best."

Having taken in the World Cup as a punter rather than player, Collymore hit on the idea of making a comeback after feeling there was no-one out there in Germany to really worry him.

"I went to the World Cup as a punter," he said yesterday.

"I didn't see any players that made me think 'I can't do that'. It might sound big-headed, but I still believe that I am the best.

"I don't want to do this to go back and be average and potter around for Rag Arse Rovers. I wouldn't do that.

"I wouldn't put myself through all the work I'm doing now for that. There is no reason why I can't be back to my best. Don't forget that as a footballer, I haven't got a lot of miles on the clock.

"When I retired, it wasn't because I was crumbling physically like Ian Wright or Gazza.

"I didn't quit because I had dodgy knees or bad ankles or a chronic back problem or anything like that. I'm six foot, three inches. Take my frame and put all the muscle back on and I am a big, powerful lad."

You just know that because he'd be free we'll be linked with him  bluelaugh.gif

"When I retired, it wasn't because I was crumbling physically like Ian Wright or Gazza. "

:lol:

classic.  what a great job hes doing for the brummie nation diplomatic service....they will make him ambassidor next !

"When I retired, it wasn't because I was crumbling physically like Ian Wright or Gazza, it was because I was a complete and utter mentalist who was too fecked in the head to play anymore.  Since then I've been sat on my backside doing sod all so I'm in perfect condition to play, even though I'm at the age when most top players retire.  I'll be a big asset to any club, me, in fact I'm going to need help dealing with all the offers rolling in from top top clubs.  Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for my medication"

:roll:

He wants to come back because he thinks he's better than everyone else.  bluesigh.gif

That is just sad. I would have more belief in his ability to change if he said he wanted to come back because he loves the game and missed it... but no its all about the ego. He will get straightened out soon enough and if he decides he wants to play just for the sake of it he could probably find his place somewhere in the lower leagues - not gonna happen though.

Guest thompers

The doggers at St. Mary's Lighthouse will be following this one closely.

He's my Idol!!! The 'Don' returning to football :D

He wants to come back because he thinks he's better than everyone else.  bluesigh.gif

That is just sad. I would have more belief in his ability to change if he said he wanted to come back because he loves the game and missed it... but no its all about the ego. He will get straightened out soon enough and if he decides he wants to play just for the sake of it he could probably find his place somewhere in the lower leagues - not gonna happen though.

good point, that.

can no-one sense the reality prog here as he trains then is tries to get into different clubs,eventually ending up at gillingham which will be shown live........................

.......origianlly tried by justin fashanu,when we really were what some on here think we are!!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A15882410?s_fromedit=1

Collymore comeback a joke

by Phil McNulty - BBC Sport 04 October 2006

Stan Collymore is embarking on a three-week training regime in Tenerife as part of his grand plan to return to the Premiership - he might as well be pounding the pavements on Fantasy Island.

Collymore claims he has put his demons, and there are many, behind him and is on the comeback trail.

Sadly, rampant self-delusion is not cured quite so easily and Stanley Victor Collymore still suffers very publicly from this ailment.

Listen to this: "It might sound big-headed, but I still believe that I am the best."

No Stan. It doesn't sound big-headed, it sounds ridiculous. Farcical.

Even when the undoubtedly gifted Collymore was at his peak, he was never the best.

He was a man who had everything a top player needs, from the neck down.

It was what went on inside Collymore's head that presented the problems.

And it still does if he thinks three weeks of work in Tenerife will set him up for a return to the Premiership.

The Premiership is faster, fiercer and more cut-throat than when Collymore last played in it... and he couldn't hack it then.

This is not the place to discuss the personal issues that have plagued Collymore.

Let's deal with the facts of his playing career - facts that make a mockery of the suggestion that one of the game's great wasters can re-emerge at 35 and make the slightest impact at the sharp end of English football.

I interviewed Collymore many times when he was at Liverpool.

Intelligent, plausible, a man who could make you believe the whole world had got him badly wrong.

And then you heard the stories, realised the unrest he had caused, and you knew this was a talent that would never be fulfilled.

Collymore's big chance came at Liverpool after he hinted at his gifts at Nottingham Forest.

Great performances at Liverpool were mixed with some desperate displays, very public sulking and off-the-field troubles.

No-one could have offered Collymore more support than Liverpool manager Roy Evans.

A decent, dignified man, Evans once stood in the gym at Liverpool's training headquarters and read out an apology on behalf of Collymore for his latest misdemeanour.

Collymore himself was nowhere to be seen, but Evans was protective and thought he was helping his player.

Evans' reward was a lurid revelation about Collymore's relationship with his daughter in his book.

That was Collymore - only too happy to let other people down if it served his purpose.

At Liverpool, he refused to move from his Cannock base and often missed training.

And claims that members of the Anfield hierarchy knelt and offered prayers of thanks when Aston Villa offered £7m to take him off their hands may not actually have been in jest.

What is a joke is the idea that Collymore will actually play a meaningful role in the Premiership again.

It would take a truly desperate manager and desperate club to take Collymore on.

If Collymore has cured his problems and now wishes to lead a quieter, more settled life, then no-one should begrudge him that.

But he must think the general public are as much fools as he has been if he thinks they will be taken in by words we have all heard before.

Forget it Stan. Football life has passed you by.

Too fucking right.

Guest Armchair Pundit

There’s more chance of Dario Silva making a successful come back than him.

Distasteful

I was ridiculing Collymore rather than Silva.

Still funny though  bluelaugh.gif

• 4 months later...

On 4 October 2006, the 35-year-old Collymore revealed that he was planning a comeback - and insists he can make the grade in the Premiership again. Collymore told the Daily Mirror.

“ I've had physical tests and I'm confident I will come back faster, stronger and fitter than I ever was. ”

The former Liverpool and Aston Villa forward flew to Tenerife earlier this week to embark on a three-week fitness programme. He said: "A month from today I guarantee I will be able to stand side by side with any striker in the country and my physique will be up there with any of them. This time I'm not going to self-destruct. You are not going to see headlines about me being kicked out of a bar somewhere in the early hours rolling drunk."

He added added: "I know I can still be among the best."[5]

In November 2006, Collymore was linked with a possible player/coach role at League of Ireland side Sligo Rovers.[citation needed]

In December 2006, Collymore was also linked with a return to football with Leeds United currently languishing 23rd in the Championship.

Collymore was not signed during the January transfer window and instead of featuring in the Premiership as he predicted in November 2006, Stan instead appeared in the BBC show 'The Verdict' playing the role of a juror in a fictional trial-by-jury involving a footballer accused of raping a teenage girl. It has been assumed that this has cemented his retirement from football.