The Wrestling Thread - WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It is here.

http://gizmodo.com/wwe-has-its-own-network-now-1497590938

At an event at CES, WWE Chairman and frequent in-ring bad guy Vince McMahon announced that his cadre of professional wrestlers were getting their very own digital network. And it's only (no really, only) 10 bucks a month.

The network will feature exclusive content and the usual expected range of live options, but it'll also pull from WWE's extensive vault to give on-demand options aplenty. It'll include all 12 live pay per view events at no additional charge, reality series, a daily studio show, and pre and post-event coverage.

That first part should grab your attention; pay per view fees for live events would end up costing hundreds of dollars a year. So while yes, it's a little bit insane to consider paying more for WWE-only content for more than you would pay for the whole wide world of Netflix or Hulu, for a diehard fan it actually makes some sense.

Some of that original content includes Legends House, which puts former wrestling greats in a Real World situation. It looks like the kind of show you can't stop watching because you can't let go of the sensation of I can't believe I am watching this what is wrong with me/society at large. Which is fun!

There's also Wrestlemania Rewind, which is not just a bunch of Wrestlemania events shown in reverse (wherein two beaten men help each other up from the floor repeatedly and wind up if not friends at least casual acquaintances), but an opportunity to relive your favorite Wrestlemania moments.

The next offering outlined? Countdown (technically COUNTD0WN but this feels like an informal event), in which WWE fans rank their favorite wrestlers? Or something? It's ahrd to tell, it's also distracting because it's being explained by Shawn Michaels and Triple H and I'm having a bit of a flashback to my freshman year of college.

The WWE Network will be available on iOS, Xbox, Roku, the Kindle Fire, and, eventually other smart TVs. It's expected to reach Canada, the UK, Singapore, and Hong Kong over the next two years as well.

The PPV pricing deal is great but my major concerns would lie elsewhere. Are they going to have full access to their back catalogue of tapes? I'm guessing from the screenshots that I've seen that it is unlikely. It looks to me like they are going to be specific in picking and choosing the matches that are available. While I'm not suggesting the whole archive be available all the time I'd hope to be able to watch full shows as opposed to compilations or heavily edited versions of events. I do understand that there are copyrights etc that have expired which need covering up but I'm not over thinking that this won't be anywhere near as good as it sounds on paper.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Mae Young has been taken off life support. No idea if she's dead or dying. Either way, it doesn't sound good. Hopefully they dedicate a Raw to her.

The PPV pricing deal is great but my major concerns would lie elsewhere. Are they going to have full access to their back catalogue of tapes? I'm guessing from the screenshots that I've seen that it is unlikely. It looks to me like they are going to be specific in picking and choosing the matches that are available. While I'm not suggesting the whole archive be available all the time I'd hope to be able to watch full shows as opposed to compilations or heavily edited versions of events. I do understand that there are copyrights etc that have expired which need covering up but I'm not over thinking that this won't be anywhere near as good as it sounds on paper.

I'd imagine not the entire back catalogue of tapes like, going back forever, but it says pretty much everything going back to like the 80s (full shows as well as separated matches and segments, it indicates) As far as editing, ECW will probably have to have swearing edited and probably the entrance music dubbed on (because they used unlicensed songs from real bands, Enter Sandman and that, although their home videos had them edited at the time so they could just use those). It might be a little disappointing but from what they've got there's no way it won't be fucking class if you ask me. I just hope that I can get it and that the video quality will be upgraded on the old clips.

Also, "all PPVs apart from Wrestlemania" angers me, all they need to do is add the Royal Rumble to that and I'd be apoplectic.

Thankfully, this is not the case and Wrestlemania is included.

I wonder if there's a minimum term, or I can just pay for 1 months worth during Rumble & Mania times.

I'd imagine not the entire back catalogue of tapes like, going back forever, but it says pretty much everything going back to like the 80s (full shows as well as separated matches and segments, it indicates) As far as editing, ECW will probably have to have swearing edited and probably the entrance music dubbed on (because they used unlicensed songs from real bands, Enter Sandman and that, although their home videos had them edited at the time so they could just use those). It might be a little disappointing but from what they've got there's no way it won't be fucking class if you ask me. I just hope that I can get it and that the video quality will be upgraded on the old clips.

He says WWE Network a lot of times.

Also, "all PPVs apart from Wrestlemania" angers me, all they need to do is add the Royal Rumble to that and I'd be apoplectic.

I wonder if there's a minimum term, or I can just pay for 1 months worth during Rumble & Mania times.

Six month term.

Six month term.

I'd be open to giving it a bash, but it doesn't go live until after Royal Rumble. If I could've paid $60 and covered Rumble + Mania, that would've been an easy decision.

Taylor. Come and meet Bret Hart with me in Glasgow on Friday 21st March pls.

I live in Edinburgh now.

Yes. :megusta:

Oof. Nice weekend at home for you was my thinking. Meet Bret, get lashed. Motherwell vs. Ross County on the Saturday (as it stands), get lashed, go home. Boom.

I'll be doing it, but I guess I'll be using a proxy or something until the UK release?

Probably need something. Hopefully just a proxy, but potentially a full on VPN. But if you have to do that it may result in shitty performance. Maybe we can try a sly account share.

Yeah. :(

Rumble night this year, let's go nuts.

We not got a big game on WM30?

Lemme see... Man Utd (h) is that weekend... could easily be moved for Sunday TV. It's all coming together again.

That's my wedding weekend. Already had one person reject his invite because of Wrestlemania. Probably going to watch Man Utd pre-wedding. Hopefully it goes well...

I'll be doing it, but I guess I'll be using a proxy or something until the UK release?

Probably need something. Hopefully just a proxy, but potentially a full on VPN. But if you have to do that it may result in shitty performance. Maybe we can try a sly account share.

I'd love it we could do that, love it.