Having "a sickie"

GM

How often do you ever phone in "sick"?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you ever phone in "sick"?

• Never - I'd still go in even if I was at death's door!
    • Very very rarely...and only ever if I'm really truly ill
    • Occasionally. Sometimes it's the only way to cope with having a job as crap as mine...
    • I'm always pulling "sickies" - it's an easy way to get the odd extra "day off"...

I've never been able to decide whether it's better to turn up for work with a heavy cold and prove how "dedicated" you are to the job, or to stay at home with a sniffle in case you pass it on to your work mates...I have to admit I have thrown the occasional "sickie" when I just can't be arsed with work, but for the most part I do drag myself into the office even on the days when I'm dying of man flu. By my reckoning, they get their money's worth out of me more often than not - working at home in the evenings and at weekends without any overtime...

What about you?

I always tend to go in, unless I really can't move.  Although sometimes this has meant I've had to cry off half way through the day.  At least by then people can see that you're deathly white and you've really got a lurgy. 

Guest Gemmill

Chuck them all the time.  I consider them just an extension of my annual holiday allowance.

As for going into work when ill - I consider that the height of stupidity tbh.  My rule of thumb is if I'm ill to the point where I would perhaps reconsider (I'm not saying definitely cancel, I'm saying there is just a possibility that I would reconsider) doing something socially, then I'm DEFINITELY not going to work. 

I've never been able to decide whether it's better to turn up for work with a heavy cold and prove how "dedicated" you are to the job, or to stay at home with a sniffle in case you pass it on to your work mates...I have to admit I have thrown the occasional "sickie" when I just can't be arsed with work, but for the most part I do drag myself into the office even on the days when I'm dying of man flu. By my reckoning, they get their money's worth out of me more often than not - working at home in the evenings and at weekends without any overtime...

What about you?

Similar, I got told-off by my housemate today for trying to get up and go to work. ;)

Guest Gemmill

I'm sat at my desk with a Lemsip and a splittitng headache.

Proper company boy.

STUPIDITY.  Think of the alternative.  Holed up in bed watching more of your movies and you'd be perfectly entitled to it too.  If it gets to the stage where I feel Lemsip is required, that's a guaranteed two days off at least.

I really feel strongly about this. :lol:  I tell people that work for me the same - if you're sick I don't want to see you at work. 

Proper company boy.

STUPIDITY.  Think of the alternative.  Holed up in bed watching more of your movies and you'd be perfectly entitled to it too.  If it gets to the stage where I feel Lemsip is required, that's a guaranteed two days off at least.

I really feel strongly about this. :lol:  I tell people that work for me the same - if you're sick I don't want to see you at work. 

I haven't got an aversion to ringing in sick if I am, just that I only ever seem to get ill when there's a tight deadline looming and I'd rather not come in at the weekend to get it done.

Proper company boy.

STUPIDITY. Think of the alternative. Holed up in bed watching more of your movies and you'd be perfectly entitled to it too. If it gets to the stage where I feel Lemsip is required, that's a guaranteed two days off at least.

I really feel strongly about this. :lol: I tell people that work for me the same - if you're sick I don't want to see you at work.

I never ever previously thought I'd actually want Gemmill for a boss. yikes.gif

Proper company boy.

Mate, you want to develop an alergy to Lemsip, like me. The last time I took a Beachams my ex thought I had Meningitis and called an ambulance!! :lol:

I wouldn't go in if I was properly sick, but most of the time when i'm borderline I will go in. It's not worth the hassle of losing a day; too much to do.

Throwing one when you're at uni/college doesn't count though.

Don't think I've ever done a real sickie when I've been working. Or it's been very rare anyway. When I feel pretty bad, or very rough I usually go in anyway. But it cancels itslef out with the times I couldn't be arsed and fancied spending the day lying around.

Proper company boy.

:lol:

Does your boss shout 'Heel' at you for a laugh sometimes?

It's well worth it come compensation review time  bluebiggrin.gif

9 is the average expectation of days off sick in most HR depts. As long as you come under this number, you should be fine. If i havent had any sick leave i plan a couple of days in with some blatant lies to support it.

I'm right out of the Gemmill school of Shirking me like.

Proper company boy.

9 is the average expectation of days off sick in most HR depts. As long as you come under this number, you should be fine. If i havent had any sick leave i plan a couple of days in with some blatant lies to support it.

The best pay rises go to those who "Far exceed expectations", only good to average rises to go people who just exceed or match expectations.

Proper company boy.

The best pay rises go to those who "Far exceed expectations", only good to average rises to go people who just exceed or match expectations.

We have a multiplier on our bonus for individual performances (Business unit sets the bonus level). Met expectations is 100%. I got 125% last year  bluecool.gif

Sick days dont come into it.....

Guest Gemmill

Proper company boy.

We have a multiplier on our bonus for individual performances (Business unit sets the bonus level). Met expectations is 100%. I got 125% last year  bluecool.gif

I had it in my head that you would be against sickies tbh.  You've mentioned loving work on here before and I got the impression you were serious.  Glad to hear you have the same philosophy as me though.  Free sickies for all, and GUARANTEED sickies if I have so much as the sniffles.  :cool:

Guest Gemmill

I like the idea of "duvet days" - when you just phone up and say you can't be arsed turning up today...

I like it when I take one of those and then come in the next day and my boss goes "You ok today?  You sounded like death on your voicemail."  I feel like Ferris Bueller.

Proper company boy.

I had it in my head that you would be against sickies tbh.  You've mentioned loving work on here before and I got the impression you were serious.  Glad to hear you have the same philosophy as me though.  Free sickies for all, and GUARANTEED sickies if I have so much as the sniffles.  :cool:

Life is all about balance Gemm. Travelling to and from London all the time opens up numerous opportunities for a bit of 'shirking'.

People who never take sickies dont get out enough imo.