***Official England Win Ashes Thread***

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Ricky Ponting, Rolf Harris, Joe Scully, Shane Warne, Mark Waugh, "Slats", Brett Lee, Holly Valance, Delta oodrum, Adam Gilchrist....

YOUR BOYS LOST.....a very entertaining, closely fought series

;)

Pure Magical Summer.... i hope everyone gets behind the tours of the Sub Continent now too! comeon England! and Harmison being the first to go to Newcastle to get his injuries sorted out! very ironic!

England!!  biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

How big do you think this is in terms of sporting events in Britain?  Is it one of the biggest ever in Britain, and when was the last sporting event bigger than it(I'm always curious about this, because American commentators are always saying every summer "Oh, if British X (Montgomerie or Henman) wins Wimbledon/Open Championship, it'll be the biggest sporting event in England since World Cup 1966"

• 1 year later...

Never were good anyway, one Ashes series doesn't make you good.

But it wasn't just 'one Ashes series', was it? Between December 2004/January 2005 we beat South Africa 2-1 in a five match series away. Earlier in 2004 we beat both the West Indies (4-0) and New Zealand (3-0) at home incredibly comfortably. Going back even further, we beat the West Indies 3-0 in the caribbean. England's Ashes win in 2005 was built on the back of sustained success over the best part of two years. Our seam attack was widely (and correctly) considered to be the most dangerous in world cricket.

If Jones, Harmison, Hoggard and Flintoff had been fit we'd have beaten India without too much trouble I reckon.

And averaged another 100 runs an innings. Missing Tresco badly as well.

Refuting your own argument. Thanks for saving me the trouble ;)

I was sure they overtook us at somepoint. Maybe spanking the Windies put us back up to second :D

You might be right mate, I don't remember it though. Anyway, we've been doing alright of late. I remember us being utter shite for most of my life. You're spot on about Trescothick being a miss btw.

If Jones, Harmison, Hoggard and Flintoff had been fit we'd have beaten India without too much trouble I reckon.

And averaged another 100 runs an innings. Missing Tresco badly as well.

That's 5 of the 11 who would be starting out injured, and we were still bloody unlucky to lose (should have won the first test but for the weather). We're alright.