Favourite movie?

BlufPurdi

What's your favourite movie, or movies?

Never an easy question to answer, usually answer it then remember another one five minutes down the line.

Films that immediately come to mind are:

Blow - Johnny Depp is class in this.

Jaws - All time favourite really.

Terminator - Do you get much better, overlooked in my opinion.

Life of Brian - Best comedy film around.

Empire Strikes Back - Probably the best in the original trilogy.

Gladiator - Really hated this to begin with, but it grew on me.  Flawless, really.

Certianly more that I love, and no doubt throughout this thread people will mention films I will subsequently remember I love also.

Had a random obsession with 'The Mummy', although I think that was more with the setting.  Should've been a horror that, and darker.  Shame everything is made for 12 year olds these days.

Anyway, give me yours...

Fight Club - Genius, no other word for it. Watched it many many times and never tire of it. So much fantastic dialogue. The book, as always, is even better.

Blade Runner - Dark sci-fi at its best. Still unmatched in the genre.

The Crow - Just something about this film that makes me love it. Dark, humerous and Brandon Lee's last film.

Lost In Translation - Many people misuderstood it's subtleties for lack of action or dialogue. Murray is genius as always though. Beautifully shot, also.

Gladiator - Agree with you here, Bluf. One of my all time favourite films.

City Of God - Good dynamic camerawork, really adds to the feel of being in a Brazilian slum. Brutal, darkly humerous and touching all at once.

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy - Been debated over and over, love it or loathe it though, a truly epic trilogy. Love it.

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind - I know I could definitely identify with Joel's character, and who hasn't wished for painful memories of love to be erased as in the film? Also nicely shot.

Probably tons I've forgotten, but those are on my 'list'.

City Of God - Good dynamic camerawork, really adds to the feel of being in a Brazilian slum. Brutal, darkly humerous and touching all at once.

what a film that is my friend, was a choker what happened to Bené.... and wasn't Li'l Zé such a cunt

what a film that is my friend, was a choker what happened to Bené.... and wasn't Li'l Zé such a cunt

Was indeed, also harrowing was when they forced on street rat to shoot another little kid, bloody good child actor! Almost felt sorry for Li'l Zé though, when he couldn't get a dance at Bené's party thingy bluelaugh.gif

Fight Club - Genius, no other word for it. Watched it many many times and never tire of it. So much fantastic dialogue. The book, as always, is even better.

Another one of those forgotten few.

Amazing film that.

Scarface was another great.  Carlito's Way, depending on what you like, but I loved it.  End makes you want to cry :(

what a film that is my friend, was a choker what happened to Bené.... and wasn't Li'l Zé such a ****

Was indeed, also harrowing was when they forced on street rat to shoot another little kid, bloody good child actor! Almost felt sorry for Li'l Zé though, when he couldn't get a dance at Béné's party thingy bluelaugh.gif

haha  bluelaugh.gif

actually i loved Knockout Ned... true vigilante/hero

Amelie

I could watch Amelie without the sub-titles and enjoy it as much as with.  It is the must visually arresting film I've seen, the pictures say more than words possibly could, for example the first time she sees Nino turns to water, and sloshes to the floor.  Perfectly realised.

Magnolia

I realise the reputation 'Magnolia fan(s)' have but I don't care.  Paul Thomas Anderson hasn't made a bad film, but this beats Boogie Nights and Punch Drunk Love because it's entirely more dramatic and engrossing.  The use of music is masterful, especially in the hour leading up to the 'rain' where it constantly suggests an all action crescendo is seconds away but it never quite happens.  It leaves your nerves frayed and the relief is palpable when the music stops and a sense of calm is restored.

Irreversible

Could never be described as a 'favourite' but certainly one of the best films I've seen.  How many killings, mutilations, rapes etc. have you seen in the cinema that in no way horrified you?  This film asks you to question why you're not repelled by violence on screen.  The whole film is designed to make you sick, from the dizzying camerawork to the low frequency rumble that runs throughout the violence.  It is told backwards which disorientates and confuses but most importantly leaves an impression of the characters as 'people' rather than 'victims' as they'd be if told chronologically.

I think that it can be construed as homophobic, but its message is no less powerful for this flaw.

Kill Bill

I see the contradiction of having Kill Bill in my list after Irreversible, but it is so joyously over the top with its violence as to be cartoonish (which it literally is too tbh).  The House of Blue Leaves leaves my jaw aching I grin so much when watching it.

Guest Howaythetoon

Back to the future, brilliant all of them. Never tire of watching it. So original and still fresh today but there are so many great films out there to pick and choose from that change from time to time.

As others have said, there are too many to mention, off the top of my head:

True Romance

Gladiator

Star Wars

Jerry Maguire

Cocktail

Big Fish (I'm a saddo I know but god I love that fim!)

Usual Suspects

Rocky

St. Elmo's fire

Goodfellas

Leon

Batman

Pulp Fiction

Trainspotting

Happy Gilmour

The Outsiders

Jaws

Last Samurai

And of course the all time great......The Goonies!

in the mood for love

chungking express

days of being wild

fletch

better off dead

lost boys

con air

bill and ted's excellent adventure

back to the future

indiana jones

leon

bourne supremacy

ronin

bande a part

Les Quatre Cents Coups

L'Homme qui aimait les femmes

l'argent de poche

the colour of paradise

there's just too many to list.

Gah, so many of the films posted after my list I forgot about! Not including those already mentioned that I forgot about, I will add:

The Matrix - The original, as is common, was/is the best of the films. A revolution in terms of camera techniques when released. Also created a fairly plausible sci-fi future, who's to say it isn't already a reality bluewink.gif. Despite Reeves, I still love it for the fight scenes and agent Smith.

Groundhog Day - Murray. Enough said

Scrooged - See above.

Spun - Jonas Akerlund is a brilliant director for me, i like Leguizamo and Murphy too.

CaberetOne of my favourite oldies.

Cold Mountain - No reason really, i just happen to like it alot. Jude Law is decent for a change

Chicago- Exceptional performance from Zellweger and Jones in my opinion.

Romeo and Juliet, old and new Lurhmans take on it was pretty damn good, i like the old one because of the old school British actors, John McEnery, Robert Stephens,

Michael York .

Moulin Rouge Quite a good combination of actors, Broadbent, Kidman, Mcgregor

EvitaChrist knows why, i watched it when i was a young un. Hooked me, good performance from Banderas as Che

Just Married,Uptown girlsCheesy, easily watchable, nice and light. I like most of the films that Brittany Murphy is in. Dakota fanning is amazing for her age.

NarcoAbout a narcoleptic, French film, not sure if it was realeased over here, but i assume it was because i seen it with English subtitles as default, one of the best overseas films i've seen, more so than Amelie i'd say, even Evil, De Tweling and Zelari.

Killbill 1 et 2 I think its the only assasin/martial arty type i've ever attempted to watch, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

That's all from the top of my head...