Anelka or Martins?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I would have had Anelka and have said this on here before and although it is early days for Martins, I am interested after todays game on the general feeling regarding the two while it is fresh in the mind. Ps I have no axe to grind concerning Martins, but don't understand why we didn't follow up on Anelka especailly after all the media noises he was making in the summer.

Guest smoggeordie

It's fucking pathetic that people still start threads about Bellamy. Get over it. We have many more problems that a knob heed that left over a year ago.

Not blowing smoke up my own arse, but I said we should have gone for Anelka in the summer. Scandalous that he went to Bolton.

I like the idea of having a striker that's fast as fuck, but not if they don't have the brains and abilty to back it up. Anelka is no slouch either, but he has that extra game intelligence which is so important in tight games.

I like the idea of having a striker that's fast as ****, but not if they don't have the brains and abilty to back it up. Anelka is no slouch either, but he has that extra game intelligence which is so important in tight games.'' Gmac

This is the thing with him, he has quietly developed into an all round forward who will also get his share of goals.

Anelka for this team. He was absolutely desperate to sign for us, looked clear to me that he delayed any moves till we had completed our striker search and signed Martins - if we had signed him we would have been that one "big" club that salvaged his shipwrecked career, the type of club hes been desperate to sign for ever since his Pool loan spell. And im certain hed have repaid us if we had.

Martins however is the better forward, certainly from the strength of his CL performances for Inter, hes a bigger goal threat - but hes far more reliant on being in a good, functional team than Anelka is. His game is all about finishing moves off, whereas Anelka has far more variety to his game.

The main pull for Anelka all along for me, apart from the likelihood that wed have been his last chance to play at a Premiership club that demands/expects European football, has been his ability to play on the flanks as well as a the main central forward. As soon as Owen returns, weve got a problem, because unless ive been watching a different Martins, he plays in the exact same central goal-poaching position as Owen, and itll be a big risk asking him, or even Owen, to play a different role.

Weve missed the boat though, theres more fish in the sea but like Owen, Kuyt and Martins, I bet you none of them will be one tenth as desperate to play for us as Anelka clearly was.

Nice post and I think truthful in its insight into the Anelka mind. Although as a footballer I'll say Martins can't and never will hold a candle to Anelka. There I've said it. Not saying he won't score 15-18 goals for us mind.

Guest smoggeordie

Because you included him in your poll '' NSG

It amuses me.

If only the sale of Bellamy amused all of us...  :roll:

Guest smoggeordie

It's not the sale NSG its peoples continued obsession with him to be precise. Anyway why don't you have a try at ans the actual question in the thread instead of nitpicking. bluewink.gif

Martins every day of the week for me.