The Championship

Dokko

As entertaining as the EPL these days with so many big clubs desperate to return to £££ville.

Not that i want to get over-friendly with it (if you know what i mean) but its a good distraction from our own shite performances week in week out in the top flight.

Betting is great this year, i like to put a few £££'s on the weekends games, and this i suppose makes you take note a bit more, but there's been some suprises, and some gleeful moments.

Sunderland's honeymoon is well and truely over (3pts out of the last 12 and 19th in the league). Keane is now finding the reality of the job in hand, and its not long until he kills someone.

Birmingham arn't doing it (1pt out of the last 12),  Gold & Sullivan are regretting the day NUFC forced them into signing bent nose on a 5-year deal to stop us poaching him! Hehe, a £10m contract, which he's not even half way through, nice pay off lads.

Leeds Utd are 2nd bottom after their play-off defeat last season, which must still be stinging, imaging they dont pull it back round after all that hard work getting out of debt. Funny, i haven't seen a Leeds fan in about 2-3 years, lets keep it that way.

But its nice to see Cardiff doing so well, epsecially with our own little Chopra firing them to the top of the league. Would be nice to see him in the EPL with another club, just to see if he can make it.

Apart from them teams suprising in their own way, theres the dismal Norwich, who once looked so strong, theres Palace, Southampton, Wolves, WBA, all looking to return quickly so the league is looking very strong. That doesn't include the suprise teams, and the faded stars of yesteryear, i honestly think its harder to get in to the EPL than it is to stay in it these days.

I would hate for us to be in this division thats for sure.

Looks like we've been robbed getting only 500k(?) for Chops like :D

He was out of contract, and am sure we have a high sell on fee.

If not were daft.

:confused:

So were probably daft, not the 1st time  bluebiggrin.gif

Certainly wont be the last  blueyes.gif

If Cardiff do come up I'd stick a tenner on them going straight back down beating Sunderlands record low points.

I think they'd win a fair few games, but there would be crowd trouble at just about every game so points deductions all round!

I was really hoping Swansea were going to go up last season just for the fun of the derbies.

Guest Billy Whitehurst

I have a mate who writes for The Times Online. He recently interviewed Chopra who told him that he can't wait to play against Sunderland at the end of the month.

Guest Imperio

I've been taking an interest in how Cardiff are doing because of Chopra. It's nice to see him doing well for himself and it would be interesting to see how he would do in the Premiership playing week in week out.

Here are my thoughts on the Championship

1    Cardiff City - Overachieving due to a good manager (David Jones). They have good championship players who might not cut it in Premiership (Chopra for instance). My bet is for them to be relegated ala Sunderland unless they acquire better quality players.

2   Preston North End - Overachieving too due to the impressive Paul Simpson.

3   West Bromwich Albion - Have a squad of premiership quality. Should do well after replacing the dour Bryan Robson with a more attacking minded Mowbray.

4   Wolverhampton Wanderers - No comments on the squad. But have a decent manager who could lead them to promotion with some lucks.

5   Burnley - No comments

6   Plymouth Argyle - No comments

7   Luton Town - No comments

8   Derby County - No comments

9   Birmingham City - True colour of Bruce is shown. Have one of the strongest squads in the division yet are currently doing badly.

10   Crystal Palace - No comment.

11   Southampton - Expected them to do better!

12   Coventry City - No comment

13   Leicester City - No comment

14   Stoke City - No comment

15   Norwich City - The appontment of the new manager puzzles me.

16   Colchester United - No comment.

17   Ipswich Town - No comment.

18   Queens Park Rangers - No comment.

19   Sunderland - Roy Keane has assembled a good squad. Should do a lot better.

20   Barnsley - No comment.

21   Sheffield Wednesday - No comment.

22   Southend United - No comment.

23   Leeds United - The sooner they find a permanaent manager the better. Right to ditch Kevin Blackwell though.

24   Hull City - No comment.

1    Cardiff City - Overachieving due to a good manager (David Jones). They have good championship players who might not cut it in Premiership (Chopra for instance). My bet is for them to be relegated ala Sunderland unless they acquire better quality players.

3   West Bromwich Albion - Have a squad of premiership quality. Should do well after replacing the dour Bryan Robson with a more attacking minded Mowbray.

4   Wolverhampton Wanderers - No comments on the squad. But have a decent manager who could lead them to promotion with some lucks.

9   Birmingham City - True colour of Bruce is shown. Have one of the strongest squads in the division yet are currently doing badly.

23   Leeds United - The sooner they find a permanaent manager the better. Right to ditch Kevin Blackwell though.

Good post that just about sums it up if I'm honest.

The real good thing about this league is that anyone can beat anyone else.  Although the standard of football can be excruciating to watch at times (or is that just Sunderland?).  The quality is shown by the fact that despite us being 17th in the league we are 6 points from both the relegation zone and 3rd place.

I also noticed Luton beat Leeds 5-1 today  :lol: :shock:

Division 1 is class, literally any of about 12 teams could go up every season.

Very true.  It's only around mid-March when you can tell who's still in the hunt, and who's going to run away with it.  That is apart from the two Record breaking seasons in recent years, us in '99 and Reading last season, where it was virtually decided by January.  Plus with the play-offs, there is usually something for most teams to fight for up till the last day of the season, just look at Palace a couple of years back (the cheating bastards!)

Derby County for the win.  Although why we let Nyatanga go is beyond me.  Sewper Jon Stead gonna bag a few methinks.  Would hope for Play-offs at best to be realistic.

Derby County for the win.  Although why we let Nyatanga go is beyond me.  Sewper Jon Stead gonna bag a few methinks.  Would hope for Play-offs at best to be realistic.

I'm very surprised you let Nyatanga go, he was very composed today and looks a real prospect.  Admittedly that's only from a 45 minute viewing. 

Don't expect a lot from Jon Stead though.  Mostly when he was here he just ran around with the ball looking dangerous but threatening little.

Also, have you heard anything about either of the deals becoming permanent?  Nowt really on the Sunderland webste thats all.

• 3 months later...

Doing well, i think they've got the momentum, the squad, and the manager to finish in the top two.

Birmingham have pulled it back from their pretty poor start, and will fill the other spot.

The play off should be interesting. I wonder if Sunderland will make it into them?

Can't see them fending off WBA or Preston if they make it in there.

Hopefully Cardiff will get back on track & Southampton have a good young squad doing well this season.

Very good year this year in the Championship, some really good teams, and some good teams doing utter shite, Leeds couldn't go down again, could they?

More accurately: "here are my thoughts on 9 of the 24 Championship teams." Classic bandwidth wastage from Delima. Keep up the good work :thup:

1     Cardiff City - Overachieving due to a good manager (David Jones). They have good championship players who might not cut it in Premiership (Chopra for instance). My bet is for them to be relegated ala Sunderland unless they acquire better quality players.

More accurately: "here are my thoughts on 9 of the 24 Championship teams." Classic bandwidth wastage from Delima. Keep up the good work :thup:

Think its probably the first post from him that I have seen which doesn't mention a Manchester United youth player!

Ignoring messenger shootings rife in this forum, the following are the updated Delima's comments

1 Derby County - Very Impressed by what Billy Davies has done. Thought he has done very well in the January transfer window by acquiring  James McEveley, David Jones, Craig Fagan, Tyrone Mears, Stephen Pearson and Gary Teale. Should go on and win the championship.

2 Birmingham City - Think they will fumble sooner or later. Without Matthew Upson, I don't think they will get promoted.

3 Preston North End - Still very impressed by Paul Simpson. But thought they are a bit over reliant on Nugent. Think they will just miss out the promotion.

4 West Bromwich Albion - After the initial wobbling due to managerial change, they are pricking up the tempo again. Kamara has been very impressive, and the replacing of Quashie with Koren is an excellent deal. Davies has started to perform again, Clement has come back from injurey, McShane has impressed as a right back. Think they are very well qualified to win promotion now.

5 Southampton - In Burley Suothampton are in a safe pair of hands. Think they will be a strong promotion contender, but don't think they are strong enough to win the promotion.

6 Cardiff City - The overachieving has come to an end. Too reliant on Chopra. Don't think they will get promoted.

7 Stoke City - No comment.

8 Colchester United - Would like them to get promoted as it would be very interesting. But seriously doubt this possibility.

9 Sunderland - Roy Keane has done well in the transfer window, again. Danny Simpson, Johny Evan, Carlos Edwards, Stern John, Anthony Stoke, Marton Fulop. Progessing steadily in the championship, think they will be the third and last team to get promoted this year.

10 Wolverhampton Wanderers - Mick McCarthy is doing a very good job. But he doesn't have much resource.

11 Plymouth Argyle - Ian Holloway, a decent championship manager, that's all.

12 Sheffield Wednesday - Despite the early encouraging performances, I don't think Bryan Law would make an outstanding manager in the championship.

13 Crystal Palace - Peter Taylor is overrated.

14 Ipswich Town - No comment.

15 Burnley - No comment.

16 Coventry City - Thought they shouldn't sack Micky Adam.

17 Norwich City - Thought they shouldn't sack Nigel Worthington.

18 Leicester City - They should count themselves blessed as they will soon be bought by Milan Mandaric. The future is good.

19 Barnsley - No comments.

20 Hull City - Evan though Phil Brown has produced a few good results for Hull, I don't think he is the right man to get Hull promoted, even in the future.

21 Luton Town - Very surprised by the lack of transfer activities (purchases)

22 Queens Park Rangers - No comment.

23 Southend United - No comment.

24 Leeds United - No comment.