"Pavel Srnicek"

Crumpy Gunt

The ground wasn't very full while they were announcing the teams but, I take your point Pav was the only one to really get a cheer!!

I was really downbeat before this game as I was doubting whether we would win.  Maybe starting to loose the faith??

Spent most of the game, even the bit where we were on top with me head in me hands stressing out!!

Not going tomorrow or next Wed as I am sick of wasting my money!!

The ground wasn't very full while they were announcing the teams but, I take your point Pav was the only one to really get a cheer!!

I was really downbeat before this game as I was doubting whether we would win.  Maybe starting to loose the faith??

Spent most of the game, even the bit where we were on top with me head in me hands stressing out!!

Not going tomorrow or next Wed as I am sick of wasting my money!!

Unfortunately I already had my tickets via the (now cancelled) Direct Debit scheme or I wouldn't bother anyway.

I dont think we can go by the roar of the crowd anymore to judge how well iked  players are, I watched Shearers testimonial again the other day and every single name read out gets a huge cheer.

But that was such a great night and everyone was ready to make noise  it was bound to happen, its our poor performances that is creating the crap noise levels.

Pav was loved and was the only good thing to cheer about on Sunday, okay was before tha  game had started but I doubt anyone there had any real belief we were going to winthe game.

If they read out the team sheet again at HT and we were say 3-0 up then every name would get a good old cheer.

Fickle is what we are :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest elbee909

Noticed that when the announcer read out the team at 3-45ish last Sunday the ONLY players name to noticably raise the audio level was Pavs!

38 yr old ex-keeper more popular than the entire first team - sad but very very true.

It's because he harks back to a time when it felt like we had stuff to cheer about.

• 2 years later...

He's back in the Toon!!!

PAVEL SRNICEK says the situation in which Newcastle United currently find themselves is worse than a bad dream.

But the Toon cult hero is confident that Alan Shearer is the only man to prevent the ultimate nightmare at St James’s Park.

The big Czech is currently back on Tyneside and made Gallowgate his first port of call to catch up with his former United team-mates.

Srnicek fears the drop, like the rest of the Toon Army, but, like Shearer, he has called on everybody connected with the club to stick together.

Significantly, United players ran out in the sunshine to train in front of 7,500 fans yesterday with The Farm’s All Together Now blasting out around them, and Srnicek hopes that will continue to be the case in the final seven games, beginning at Stoke on Saturday.

He told the Chronicle: “It’s sad for the club and the fans.

“I’d never have thought that Newcastle would be in this situation, not even in a bad dream.

“But the reality is different, and life is different.

“I hope they can pull through and do it.

“As a manager, you need to create the atmosphere in the club and the team, and I think Alan’s the man.

“He knows what he wants to do.

“Alan will never lose. He knows that, whatever he does, people will always stick by him because of his personality, and what he has done for the club.

“It’s a difficult situation. But I think he took the job because he believes he can do it.”

The staggering number of fans who turned up at St James’s for a public training session was a reminder to the current crop of players just how much Newcastle United means to the city.

And Pav – an adopted Geordie after fans fell in love with the eastern European goalie after a shaky start to life on Barrack Road – said: “I think what Newcastle has on other teams is the support from the fans and the city.

“Maybe now it’s more important than ever before.

“Each game is a cup final for Newcastle – it’s as simple as that, and I hope everybody thinks that way.

“You go out and try to perform to your best, then you go back home and think that you did your best.

“The most important thing is that the people stick together.”

Srnicek also took the time to catch up with his close pal Steve Harper.

The Easington-born stopper has stepped up to the plate since the departure of Shay Given, with Pav believing he will continue to show his class.

He added: “Obviously, I’ve known Stevie since he was a little boy and we started training together.

“We still keep in touch, and I’m really happy for him.

“He was always behind Shay Given, and because of that he was not able to show the people he was not a No 2.

“Now, he can show them what a good goalkeeper he is. He is No 1, and he deserves this chance.

“He is a very good goalkeeper.”

Srnicek, of course, was with Newcastle just a couple of years ago under the reign of Glenn Roeder when the ex-Banik Ostrava, West Ham and Portsmouth keeper made two appearances during a goalkeeping injury crisis.

And Pav revealed he could not have stage-managed the end of his playing career any better.

He said: “I couldn’t think of a better way to finish my career than by coming back here and having the opportunity to step on that pitch again.

“I don’t think anyone ever dreams about things like this. I was 38 or 39, and coming towards the end of my career. I never thought I would come back to Newcastle – I thought I might never play again.

“But these things happen, and maybe it’s something for those players who think things like this never happen.

“In football, these things can happen.”

Pav now runs his own academy in the Czech Republic called the Srnicek school of goalkeeping.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/04/08/toon-plight-so-sad-but-shearer-can-stop-the-rot-72703-23340800/2/

Guest Heneage

What a clown he was.

Was he?

I can't honestly say I remember the days of Pavel very well, just an inch before my time I guess as I was 7 so really took little notice outside of goals.

him and hislop the worst goalies i ever saw!! :clap:

Aye fucking shite the pair of them. Without going over the same old discussions again, the difference that season was Schmeichel imo. And sadly we didn't have our own version.