Sunday Gossip

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Chelsea believe they have hijacked Manchester United's £25m move for Spanish striker Fernando Torres. (The People)

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is planning a shock January move for ex-Celtic and Barcelona striker Henrik Larsson, 35, who now plays for Helsingborg. (Sunday Mirror)

Manchester United are eyeing up a move for Hearts' Scotland goalkeeper Craig Gordon. (The People)

Chelsea midfielder Shaun Wright-Phillips is set to leave Stamford Bridge in January because of a lack of first-team opportunities. (Sunday Mirror)

Liverpool and Newcastle are expected to make January bids for Birmingham defender Matthew Upson. (The People)

Midfielder Sean Davis, who has been linked to Middlesbrough and Everton, looks set to leave Portsmouth in the January transfer window. (Sunday Mirror)

Newcastle are targeting Wigan full-back Leighton Baines. (The People)

Luton are set to fight off a host of Premiership clubs to keep in-form striker Rowan Vine at the club. (The People)

Everton are on the trail of Ipswich striker Billy Clarke. (The People)

wigan have absolutly no reason to sell him

and like its been said before, why would a young up and coming defender ever want to join us?

On his own? No chance. However, tell him, "right, we've brought in Neill & Upson, you already know Taylor from the England set-up. We want you to be the final piece of the jigsaw", and it's not too unbelievable I would have thought.

and like its been said before, why would a young up and coming defender ever want to join us?

£££££££££££

The same answer to why anyone would want to join us at the moment.

£££££££££££

yea but we will destroy his career, no young defenders would touch us with a barge poll

£££££££££££

yea but we will destroy his career, no young defenders would touch us with a barge poll

I bet they would. £15k a week at Wigan or £40k a week here. He would take the risk I bet!

Whilst i would be far from unhappy if we somehow managed to get Upson, Neill and Baines, we can do alot better, bar baines.

Obviously we should be trying to entice Wayne Bridge here before Baines, but i would be more than happy with Baines.

I dont think Upson will bring us the Leadership and organisation we are crying out for, he worked well alongside Kenny Cunningham, but the Irishman was the leader. We need a leader of men not another follower to sit with Taylor, Ramage and Bramble.

Neill is only marginally better than Carr IMO, and whilst just having him here for competition would push Carr to his best I think we can do better.

Cant see us needing SWP's unless we flog milner, but I wouldnt want us to do that either. Milner however could be utilised through the centre as our attacking midfielder, he is good at running at defenders and played well there for the U21's.

I'd be chuffed if we could get Neill, Upson & Baines mind.

Could we afford it though?

Doubt it, we are potless.

Roeder has confirmed we were in for Huth so we obviously have some cash unless the reason we didn't get Huth is also the reason we brought Milner back.

Guest thompers

SUNDAY MIRROR

Leeds caretaker boss John Carver is on the verge of resigning after the humiliating 5-1 defeat by Luton on Saturday

Sam Hammam's reign as Cardiff owner and chairman will end next week, with Peter Ridsdale taking the reins

Martin O'Neill wants to lure former Celtic and Barcelona hitman Henrik Larsson, 35, out of semi-retirement to join him at Villa Park

Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Newcastle are on red alert after Shaun Wright-Phillips admitted: I'm a Chelsea flop - Get me out of here!

Middlesbrough and Everton have been tipped to make a January move for Sean Davis, who is out of favour at Portsmouth

Newcastle will try to offload Titus Bramble in January's transfer window - and may try to sign Matt Upson as his replacement

MAIL ON SUNDAY

David Beckham could be set for a move from Real Madrid after saying "two more years on the bench would be very difficult" at the Bernabeu. The quotes have alerted Premiership and MLS clubs.

SUNDAY MAIL

Stiliyan Petrov has told Celtic to cough up the cash for Shaun Maloney's new contract - or risk losing him in January. Aston Villa are said to be interested.

THE PEOPLE

Alan Curbishley is just 10 days from being the most wanted manager in football - when a secret clause in his severance package from Charlton runs out and lets him work again. Middlesbrough, Newcastle and West Ham are all monitoring his situation.

Cardiff's Dave Jones is the number one target for Birmingham's board if they decide to sack Steve Bruce this season

Gary McAllister is keen to take a managerial job - but has not been approached by struggling Leeds

Wigan are tracking FC Copenhagen midfielder Atiba Hutchinson.

Wolves want to sign on-loan midfielder Darren Porter on a permanent basis from Liverpool

Manchester City are planning a £2m raid for Crewe striker Billy Jones in January

Burnley want to sign veteran battler Chris Lucketti as they push for promotion to the Premiership

Everton are on the trail of Ipswich 18-year-old Billy Clarke

Reading are set to make an improved offer of £4m for Nantes star Emerse Fae.

Chelsea believe they have hijacked Man United's £25m move for Fernando Torres, who could join the Blues in January

Paraguay defender Jorge Nunez is flying to England for talks with Sheffield United over a move to Bramall Lane

NEWS OF THE WORLD

Inter Milan want to nab Jose Mourinho from Chelsea and have already contacted his agent to see if he can replace the under pressure Roberto Mancini.

Ken Bates reportedly claimed the current players at Leeds are all 's**t' when he was surrounded by a crowd of angry Leeds fans at Elland Road.

Glad that the Curbishly thing is in The People. He's just a glorified Glenn Roeder, tbh.

I really like Lucas Neill. I think he's rock hard, and it would be great for us to get a wing-back who can actually defend aswell as attack. Much the same with Leighton Baines - great player with an eye for goal and can actually bring some organisation to our defense.

I think i'd be pleased with Upson on the cheap. £2m or so and it's a good deal. He used to be a good defender when Birmingham were a half-decent side. He was always the best English defender out of the usual suspects. The Terrys, the Ferdinands, the Campbells, the Kings, the Woodgates. He was always marginally out of the pecking order.

However, he's had one or two injuries, and i think he's injured at the moment - returning in January.

We could do worse than Upson, and i really can't see us getting much better.

Neill, Upson and Baines would improve our defense monumentally, even merely to increase numbers. Whether or not we can get them is another matter. If Liverpool want Neill, Neill will go to Liverpool. He wanted to go there in the summer but Blackburn held on to him - and since then, his performances have deteriorated somewhat.

I can imagine there'll be one or two teams in for Baines. I think we'd have to be atleast 5 Premiership places above Wigan for him to sign for us, and like Gejon has said, we can give him the cash to come here.

We could get Upson if we wanted him though, no doubt.

I don't know where people are getting the idea Upson would be cheap, this is the team that sold Pennant for potentially EIGHT million pounds and Heskey for FIVE POINT FIVE million pounds. Why are they going to let their best defender go for peanuts?

I would rather go for Disitn personally, would be a lot cheaper! Also I think Jagielka may be worth a scouting mission, He was good when he was younger but then went off the radar a bit but has again looked good now he has made the premiership and seems to command his defence which is what we need.

NOTW also links us to West Broms Paul Robinson, remember him getting some good reviews last year but personally know bollocks all about him.

Distin's absolutely shite mate... and the 'cheap' theory won't fixate on him either. He's their captain! Jagielka's a good player though.

He is a lot better than we have I wouldnt say he was any worse than the much overrated Upson who would probably cost 3 times as much if we are lucky!