Olivier Bernard - the unfittest man in the world

Dave

Apart from Kieron Dyer and Jonathon Woodgate of course.

Just what the fuck is going on with him? It's been fucking ages, is Roeder that cautious or is he just rubbish?

Wages going down the drain. Everyone hates Babayaro, but at least he plays now and then.

Apparently his last reserve run out he was finally starting to look good. Then he missed the next one (i think) so people were expecting him to have some Euro involvement then he disappeared again!!

Its the new Craig Moore tbh!

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72160118.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A615FC47B79A78410659D55AD35CA51490

Proof he can stand on his feet, and shield the ball for at least a split second.... get him out there in the first eleven.

Can't remember exactly where I have read this, but here goes.

The gist of it was that Paul Le Guen is a fitness freak and made Olly and a few other players lose a bit of weight, resulting in him losing muscle and strength.

Remember roeder saying that a lot of Bernard's game is based on his strength, so will take him few weeks to get back to full match fitness and strength.

This was about 2 weeks ago by the way.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Bernard: where the fuck did the ball go? It was in front of me a second ago. Damn i'm fast!

Emre: (in turkish) omfg Bernard is so fast he's totally nutmegged me! sonofaswisswhore!

Dyer: will I break down if I run to the ball? Better just stand here and look fit for Alan

I started a thread on this weeks ago, and still no sign.

Someone remind me again why we didn't sign him in June and get him fit? Oh yes, that's right, because Glenn Roeder has no brain.

What a fucking shambles.

Accuse me of WUM if you will, but I was talking to a well-known and well-respected local radio commentator last week (he was doing some outside work at my workplace, if you see what I mean) and he said that off the record Bernard was given a contract by Shepherd purely as a PR exercise and that Roeder has said he will never play him in the first team.

It raises plenty of issues if it's true... what kind of working relationship do chairman/manager have?  How bloody-minded must Roeder be to refuse to play Bernard purely because of the manner of his arrival when we don't have any real left backs here and available?

I know it's hardly an earth-shattering theory, but I present it here in its entirety in the interest of adding to the debate.  As I say, accuse me of WUM all you like; I've got nothing to gain from making this up, and while I obviously can't vouch for this guy's source I can vouch for the fact that he's had enough interviews with Newcastle managers over the last few years to say that he's fairly well-connected.  Can you tell who it is yet..? 

Alan Oliver ? Did I win did I win ???

Can't remember exactly where I have read this, but here goes.

The gist of it was that Paul Le Guen is a fitness freak and made Olly and a few other players lose a bit of weight, resulting in him losing muscle and strength.

Remember roeder saying that a lot of Bernard's game is based on his strength, so will take him few weeks to get back to full match fitness and strength.

This was about 2 weeks ago by the way.

A month +.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Even if Roeder was as much of an arse to do that, he probably did so when he thought he had the BaBa, surely he wouldn't not use him now FFS

i've seen all Bernards games so far that have been played at home, including the first one against Benfield,  from what i've seen he is probably fit enough now, problem is that he is shite, he's hardly passed to a black & white shirt in all the games i've seen.  He was getting a bit better in the reserve game against Wigan and made a few decent tackles but then still failed twice in 3 mins to find a b&w shirt when taking a throw in.  Sadly at the minute, Ramage, Duff and baba are better options at LB.  remember he wasn't good enough for Southampton, Rangers and Sheff U, hardly the sign that he's going to come here a be the saviour of our defence!  Agree with the comments about him losing some weight having an effect on him,  was better when he was stocky,  you wouldn't have wanted to be hit by him in a 50-50.

i've seen all Bernards games so far that have been played at home, including the first one against Benfield,  from what i've seen he is probably fit enough now, problem is that he is shite, he's hardly passed to a black & white shirt in all the games i've seen. 

Was just going to bring this point up. Maybe he is match-fit, just hasn't played very well? By all accounts he was poor at Southampton & Rangers, so why would he all of a sudden return to how he was 3 years ago? You wouldn't sign Robert from Levante and expect him to return to his best form.

• 4 years later...