MOTD - Luque a £9m waste of money

Guest Invicta_Toon

Lillestrom? :lol:

Yes Lillesroem. Played us off the park until Luque scored.

Were you there ?

Soopafantastic.  :lol:

:confused:??

If that means super fan then no not really.

40 odd years of mainly pain and shit, occasional good times, bleed black and white but not a super fan.

I know some who are, but don't think I qualify.

But I take it that's a NO anyway ?

If you aren't playing the soopafan card then what point are you trying to make about Luque's performances against Lillestrom at home and against Sunderland away last season. I'm aware he scored in both games but what else did he do to suggest he has what it takes to cut the mustard over here? And what else has he done in other matches when he didn't score? I'm aware he may not have been given a fair crack of the whip but I blame that (at least partly) on him and his attitude. So, what's your case for Luque?

Guest Village Idiot

Luque is suffering from the Spanish Striker curse. I don't know why, but all the reputed strikers we have offloaded in England have failed miserably. And in most cases, they have been successful again when coming back (Morientes is scoring for fun in Valencia again, for example).

Were you there ?

40 odd years of mainly pain and shit, occasional good times, bleed black and white but not a super fan.

If you aren't playing the soopafan card then what point are you trying to make about Luque's performances against Lillestrom at home and against Sunderland away last season. I'm aware he scored in both games but what else did he do to suggest he has what it takes to cut the mustard over here? And what else has he done in other matches when he didn't score? I'm aware he may not have been given a fair crack of the whip but I blame that (at least partly) on him and his attitude. So, what's your case for Luque?

Appreciate your acknowledgement. Now we're in discussion again.

His attitude appears to be bad, but I think a combination of confidence, injury, new surroundings and manager's remarks have contributed to that appearance.

My main case for Luque is that we are playing terribly but have a £10M player who WAS good, sitting inthe stands. The manager needs to kick him up the arse and say "get out there and play the way you know you can" - but he needs to be given that chance.

After his recent run out in the reserves the coach was full of praise for his attitude, and he certainly looked happy to be playing and scoring. And that in a game many senior pros would not have been interested in.

No I wasn't there.

Were you there ?

Appreciate your acknowledgement. Now we're in discussion again.

His attitude appears to be bad, but I think a combination of confidence, injury, new surroundings and manager's remarks have contributed to that appearance.

My main case for Luque is that we are playing terribly but have a £10M player who WAS good, sitting inthe stands. The manager needs to kick him up the arse and say "get out there and play the way you know you can" - but he needs to be given that chance.

After his recent run out in the reserves the coach was full of praise for his attitude, and he certainly looked happy to be playing and scoring. And that in a game many senior pros would not have been interested in.

No I wasn't there.

:lol: @ the bit in bold ;)

Agree with a lot of what you say there to be fair. The fact he barely seems to even make the bench tells me either his day-to-day attitude is shite or Roeder has it in for him or a bit of both. I think the biggest problem is he isn't cut out for the Premier League though. That realisation has probably effected his confidence to the degree that he is a shadow of his former self, even in European games.

I think it would be a decent idea to give him the start in the League Cup. We usually play crap in it anyway, so might as well give the lad an opportunity to play with nothing to lose. In all fairness, I don't believe Luque has been given a proper run, because the only chance he had, he was stuck out on the left wing where he's crap.

Stick him up front, sitting off Martins, give them 6 games to gel and see what happens. Can't be any worse at the mo!!!!!!!!!

I think the title is a bit misleading.

It wasn't MOTD, but it was Gavin Peacock's opinion.

who is a commentator on MOTD  :roll:

He's NOT a "commentator" he's an ex-pro "pundit"

LOT of difference.

Were you there ?

Shows how shit Luque has been for us when his defenders have to resort to comparing him to Shola tbh. Ironically Shola still looks by far the better bet (even crocked) for us.

Honestly if you think Luque is shit then Ameobi is Super Duper SHIT...

Only if Luque was given the same amount of chances that useless Ameobi is given then I am sure Luque would have scored heaps more...

Were you there ?

And what has Ameobi done in the last 5 years to suggest he will finally be a footballer ? How on earth a rubbish so called footballer like Ameobi who won't even make in the championship is still being played instead of Luque...It is LUDICROUS...

Were you at the mackem away game or Lillestrom home ? N

No I only drink after the match as I like to see what is going on, which in Luque's case is a quality player who is low on confidence and finding it difficult to adapt to new surroundings.

You obviously don't like him, but I reckon if he's given a run we may well see the quality come through.

If we were in the top 4 and scoring freely I may think we should leave things as they are.

We are'nt.

I was at the games yes, it's not a case of not liking the lad, I was really hopefully when he first signed. I'd seen him play in the Spanish league and saw what he could do. He has to many problems in this league though, he's still very slow to the ball, like he said he can't take a man on and the fact that a injured Ameobi looks more likly to do something in a match that Luque when he plays shows exactly the reason why he doesn't deserve to play. I judge players on what they do, I can't like or dislike players I don't know them, which is why I judge them on performances and Luques performances have been woeful. I really don't understand why some people are happy to settle for second best I'd much rather see better and better players come into the team.

Guest woffy_27

To SLK - So you reckon Ameobi wont even make it in the championship? He is our top goalscorer who is playing with a knackered back and god knows what else, he's a geordie though and through and he would run through a brick wall for this club.  I had my doubts about him early in his career - but now, he's our main striker with big al gone now, so get behind the lad eh, he's all we have at the minute who seems capable of putting the ball in the net

No I only drink after the match as I like to see what is going on, which in Luque's case is a quality player who is low on confidence and finding it difficult to adapt to new surroundings.

You obviously don't like him, but I reckon if he's given a run we may well see the quality come through.

If we were in the top 4 and scoring freely I may think we should leave things as they are.

We are'nt.

I was at the games yes, it's not a case of not liking the lad, I was really hopefully when he first signed. I'd seen him play in the Spanish league and saw what he could do. He has to many problems in this league though, he's still very slow to the ball, like he said he can't take a man on and the fact that a injured Ameobi looks more likly to do something in a match that Luque when he plays shows exactly the reason why he doesn't deserve to play. I judge players on what they do, I can't like or dislike players I don't know them, which is why I judge them on performances and Luques performances have been woeful. I really don't understand why some people are happy to settle for second best I'd much rather see better and better players come into the team.

Just name me one thing that Ameobi does well as a footballer because seriously I would struggle to name one thing he does right as a footballer even if I had the whole day to think about it...

Guest woffy_27

everyone has their own opinion but i reckon he's starting to get more mature, hes's holding the ball up a lot better than he used to, also I think the fans are starting to back him a bit more than previous seasons.  Also theres no pressure on him as their was when shearer was there

everyone has their own opinion but i reckon he's starting to get more mature, hes's holding the ball up a lot better than he used to, also I think the fans are starting to back him a bit more than previous seasons.  Also theres no pressure on him as their was when shearer was there

He is STILL RUBBISH...Waste of space...If only Luque was given the same amount of chances as this useless rubbish has been then we would at least be talking about goals not lack of...

We are'nt.

True, apart from brief glimpses Luque has not played well in a B&W shirt. However since his injury (a pretty bad one) he has simply not had enough of a run to prove whether he is or is not good enough for our league.

We all know that very few top foreign players "hit the ground running" when the come into the Premiership, my feeling is Luque will do it if he is given a chance.

I would however like to be proven right or wrong by him actually playing in his correct position.

To date he has been another victim of "Geordie instant judgement" by many.

Were you there ?

Shows how shit Luque has been for us when his defenders have to resort to comparing him to Shola tbh. Ironically Shola still looks by far the better bet (even crocked) for us.

Honestly if you think Luque is shit then Ameobi is Super Duper SHIT...

Only if Luque was given the same amount of chances that useless Ameobi is given then I am sure Luque would have scored heaps more...

If you read what I said you would see I said Luque has been shit for us. Or to use your phrase super-duper shit. I'd say Shola is more like what the team needs - i.e. a bit of a physical presence and more of an out-and-out striker although I don't see him as being good enough either (perhaps 4th choice at best). That said, Shola has done more playing unfit for us this season than Luque has in his whole time here.