Narrowing it down

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

KK was cavalier so they appoint a conservative Dalglish who was boring so they appointed the sexy Gullit who was aloof so they appointed the local SBR who lost a grip on discipline so they appointed a disciplinarian in Souness who was high maintenance so they appointed a low maintenance manager in Roeder who is out of his depth so...?????

Guest Knightrider

as far as I can see the code it goes

fuckup panic pasty jerkknee fuckup panic pasty jerkknee fuckup panic pasty jerkknee

Tbh

Part of the problem is that FF never seems to have a new candidate in mind until he sacks the old one.

Sack Robson. Oops! Souness is the best I can find! Sack Souness. Oh dear, nobody else wants to come here but we've got this Roeder lying around. Sack Roeder... well, I bet he's wondering how to persuade Shearer.

i'd change the last one

Souness = high-maintenance (when costs of staff included), confrontational, aggressive, fans never took to him

Roeder = low-maintenance (especially when backroom costs included), diplomatic, calm, former club captain.

the trick is to try and guess what FF perceives Roeder's faults to be, and then find a manager out there who is the opposite of this or who can correct those faults. i said about a year ago that Souness's aggressive character would cost him his job, and that Fred would go for a diplomatic Mr. Nice Guy as a reaction. From where i'm sitting I would guess Freddie sees Roeder's faults as being someone who is not charismatic enough and fails to motivate the players or the fans. I think he'll pay particular concern to the issue of not motivating the fans, what with the noticeable drop in crowds. So in response he'll go for a manager who either excites the fans - a big name like Eriksson, or a manager who comes across as really passionate, Stuart Pearce or Chris Coleman for instance. Shearer meanwhile fits both those categories.

I would've said that Shepherd might see Roeder as inexperienced and therefore try to get someone with much experience like Venables, but he's invested too much in the argument that experience doesn't matter, through his fight with the LMA, for him to publicly or even privately admit that this is a problem.

Guest Knightrider

I think it will be different this time around. I think we'll be looking now while we wait and see if Roeder can get us out of it and if not, hope the spadework will give us a ready made replacement to slot in.

Also, while SBR was manager we were looking at Bruce and Big Sam in particular.

Guest Knightrider

i'd change the last one

Souness = high-maintenance (when costs of staff included), confrontational, aggressive, fans never took to him

Roeder = low-maintenance (especially when backroom costs included), diplomatic, calm, former club captain.

the trick is to try and guess what FF perceives Roeder's faults to be, and then find a manager out there who is the opposite of this or who can correct those faults. i said about a year ago that Souness's aggressive character would cost him his job, and that Fred would go for a diplomatic Mr. Nice Guy as a reaction. From where i'm sitting I would guess Freddie sees Roeder's faults as being someone who is not charismatic enough and fails to motivate the players or the fans. So in response he'll go for a manager who either excites the fans - a big name like Eriksson, or a manager who comes across as really passionate, Stuart Pearce or Chris Coleman for instance. I would've said that Shepherd might see Roeder as inexperienced and therefore try to get someone with much experience like Venables, but he's invested too much in the argument that experience doesn't matter, through his fight with the LMA, for him to publicly or even privately admit that this is a problem.

I think you're right.

Guest eyeball_tickler

o'leary is still knocking around clubless and bruce is hanging by a thread. the 2 classics could be back in the frame.

Sven.

Not a fan, but at least the guy has brains and would bring in a whole new team of coaches.

That would be a start, although it wouldn't take long before he's caught with his trousers down.

o'leary is still knocking around clubless and bruce is hanging by a thread. the 2 classics could be back in the frame.

You seem to have forgotten Bryan Robson..........a geordie.

it frightens me to death thinking of where FF could lead us next

Especially now his number 2 is already here! Seriously though, Shepherd wouldn't f*cking dare go down the Robson/Bruce/O'Leary route.

Especially now his number 2 is already here! Seriously though, Shepherd wouldn't f*cking dare go down the Robson/Bruce/O'Leary route.

And who else is going to take the job????