why not play Zoggy

Guest Paul Allen

Pisses me off to this day.

Luckily N'Zogbia turned out to be a complete tosser so it's a bit more bareable, but signing Duff was a fucking travesty of a move.

Me too, appalling management and planning for the future... particularly considering we could have done without spending money and wages on a player we didn't need.

The fact Zoggy hasn't gone on to sign for Barcelona or someone makes it slightly easier to accept.

:thup: Everyone knows the ideal situation for a squad is to have a single 20 year old for each position (maybe with a few utility players as backups in the unlikely event one or two get injured, suspended, or go off form), and the only way a young player can develop is to play every minute of every game of a 50+ game season.

Hughton out for not selling Gutierrez who is keeping young Ben Arfa out of the team ATM TBH. Disgraceful treatment of the young lad.

Still winds me up n'all. I think given N'Zogbia's mindset, it was inevitable he'd fuck off at some point - but we could still have got a couple more seasons out of him. He was so fucking good in 05/06.

Guest Heneage

The reason he left still makes me laugh.

What was the actual reason? Because Kinnear didn't know his name anymore? :lol:

Because he mispronounced his name. :lol:

The reason he left still makes me laugh.

What was the actual reason? Because Kinnear didn't know his name anymore? :lol:

Because he mispronounced his name. :lol:

That was the icing on the cake, the last straw. Not the actual reason for him wanting to leave. Naturally spending the best part of 3 years constantly being dropped for an utterly s*** waste of space like Duff and watching him hide for 90 minutes week in week out would have had any young, dynamic, pacey, explosive winger packing their bags eventually.

When N'Zogbia played he rarely offered any more than Duff did though.

Will have to agree to disagree, as imo N'Zogbia added alot more to the team and did create chances/goalscoring opportunities unlike Duff. The main thing for me was that he posed an infinitely bigger threat due to his pace, dribbling, and willingness to take players on and whip the ball in at pace/smash the ball towards goal. At the time, he was our only source of effective pace/ability in the final third. He had his off days, but only then was he as useless as Duff was imo.

Particularly remember that spell of a few games in November iirc, when Zog down the left and Jonas down the right looked like a pretty good wing combination. Different types of pace and dribbling on both wings, Jonas being more effective in the middle third and Zog being more dangerous in the final third - it looked promising. But for some reason, Duff walked back into the lineup and stayed there, twaddling up and down the flanks, refusing to take anyone on, unable to cross to save his life, looking to not shoot at every opportunity, etc etc. Disgraceful, and no wonder we were relegated come the end of that season.

Pisses me off to this day.

Luckily N'Zogbia turned out to be a complete tosser so it's a bit more bareable, but signing Duff was a fucking travesty of a move.

:dave:

How did you feel about the move Wullie?

Can't remember you saying anything at the time. :lol: