Rafa Benitez

Guest thompers

The genius everyone thought he was or has he lost the plot?

Maybe introducing the Bellamy cancer into the dressing room was a mistake ?

Guest thompers

J. Redknapp was saying that Rafa could drive Stevie G out of Liverpool if he keeps playing him out of position. That would be a nightmare for them, they rely on him almost as much as we relied on Shearer.

J. Redknapp was saying that Rafa could drive Stevie G out of Liverpool if he keeps playing him out of position. That would be a nightmare for them, they rely on him almost as much as we relied on Shearer.

Gerrard doesn't like Rafa, and Rafa doesn't like to get to know the players that well.

Gerrard said Rafa doesn't bother with any of them after training etc...Didn't even send a card of visit him for the birth of his child back in May.

Now this is a problem if Gerrard is highlighting it, but the bigger concern is allowing Bellamy that much free reign.

Fireworks will happen, you need a tight grip on your players, im just surprised nothing major has happened off field so far.

Gerrard doesn't like Rafa, and Rafa doesn't like to get to know the players that well.

Gerrard said Rafa doesn't bother with any of them after training etc...Didn't even send a card of visit him for the birth of his child back in May.

Now this is a problem if Gerrard is highlighting it, but the bigger concern is allowing Bellamy that much free reign.

Fireworks will happen, you need a tight grip on your players, im just surprised nothing major has happened off field so far.

Maybe it has but it hasn't been leaked out.

IMO he is a genius

Guest thompers

Just been reading the Liverpool forums and it seems the natives are restless, almost as much as we are.

They must think they have a devine right to be challenging, omg, why don't they look at Nottingham Forest and then complain!

He bottles it in the big league games. Just seen that out of a possible 42 points against Man U, Arsenal & Chelsea since he arrived, they've picked up 4 points.

In that same time, Souness/Roeder picked up 7 against the same opposition.

No fuking way!  bluebigeek.gif

Just been reading the Liverpool forums and it seems the natives are restless, almost as much as we are.

They must think they have a devine right to be challenging, omg, why don't they look at Nottingham Forest and then complain!

They should be with the team, manager & setup they've got, but yet again summits not right.

He bottles it in the big league games. Just seen that out of a possible 42 points against Man U, Arsenal & Chelsea since he arrived, they've picked up 4 points.

In that same time, Souness/Roeder picked up 7 against the same opposition.

No fuking way!  bluebigeek.gif

5 out of 5 defeats against Chelsea, and I can't remember if it was a win against Arsenal & a draw against Man U, or the other way around.

Bought too many players, same withm Jol, stupid thing to do is bring in 6 players or whatever every season. Unless it's needed, a la us.

Guest Village Idiot

He turned Valencia from an also-ran to a league winner. and Liverpool have moved up a level since he joined, there is some nice silverware to show...

So I say genius.

Genius IMO.  Done just about all that could have been realistically expected with Liverpool and more.  They've not challenged for the title for years so I think its time for their fans to wise up.  They've not got the money/pulling power to attract the top name players that Chelsea/Man Utd can.  Benitez won La Liga with an unfashionable side and won the CL with a team thats been crap for years.  Give him a break, scousers.

He turned Valencia from an also-ran to a league winner. and Liverpool have moved up a level since he joined, there is some nice silverware to show...

So I say genius.

Considering Valencia had been to two Champions League Finals just before Benitez took over, I'd hardly say they were an "also-ran" would you?

Good manager but the jury's still out on his ability to make Liverpool real league contenders. Deserves more time though, at least another season after this. Genius is overused tbh.

Guest Village Idiot

So I say genius.

Considering Valencia had been to two Champions League Finals just before Benitez took over, I'd hardly say they were an "also-ran" would you?

They were, despite their CL form their league form had never brought them to the position of being a title challenger.  Since he won it twice with them they are on all the favorite lists.

Really, winning the league in Spain while not being Barça or Real is a *massive* achievement.

So I say genius.

They were, despite their CL form their league form had never brought them to the position of being a title challenger.  

Are we describing Valencia pre-Benitez here, or Liverpool under Benitez.  :winking:

Guest Village Idiot

What I mean is that Rafa has succeeded in his last 2 clubs, taking them both a step further, and adding some nice silverware to both (and both clubs had not won anything of note in the past 10 years). That's what makes the cut between a really good manager, and a flukey one.