Mobile phones

Dave

45 minutes ago, kingkerouac said:

I had same problem, just downloaded all my photos to a 4TB drive, and then deleted a shitload from iCloud.

:saylor:

On 01/05/2022 at 09:11, kingkerouac said:

I had same problem, just downloaded all my photos to a 4TB drive, and then deleted a shitload from iCloud.

The only thing I’d worry about with an external drive is that it would crap out and then everything would be lost. But I really hate those cloud services having you over a barrel.

I should really just go through everything and delete the crap.. since we had our kid there’s literally 190gb’s of nonsense that I’ll never look at or need.. 😂

Neil Parish would like some tips on this 

5 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

The only thing I’d worry about with an external drive is that it would crap out and then everything would be lost. But I really hate those cloud services having you over a barrel.

I should really just go through everything and delete the crap.. since we had our kid there’s literally 190gb’s of nonsense that I’ll never look at or need.. 😂

Yeah, I worked with a lad who kept all of his photos, music and movies on a huge 2TB drive - this was ten years back.

But being paranoid about it failing, he bought another to back that up, and was seriously thinking about a third in case the back up died.

I've got hard drives going back 18 years that are still working. And there are far better methods of emergency data retrieval these days than there used to be.

• 2 months later...

I'm a proper daftie, and I almost left my mobile on a train about a month ago.

During the panic that ensued I realised my mobile is waaay too data rich and valuable to take out and about with me everyday :laugh: The passwords, accounts, banking apps, family photos etc etc... I don't think it's worth taking out and about with me all the time.

However, having a smartphone for calls, messaging and google maps while i'm out and about is really handy. So, I'm looking to move my number to a new no frills phone with a good battery life that is unlinked to my google account. I imagine there's an existing market for such phones for parents giving their young kids their first phone.

Any recommendations? Looking at you as usual @BlueStar :lol:

There are options for cloud storage that aren't apple. They aren't the only technology company in the world. 

1 hour ago, relámpago blanco said:

There are options for cloud storage that aren't apple. They aren't the only technology company in the world. 

There are but one of the draws of being on iPhone is that you don’t have to worry about any of that shit. It’s all there in the one ecosystem. You could go with another provider and then it gets all fragmented, and you probably wouldn’t save enough money for it to be worth it.

Guest neesy111
17 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

There are but one of the draws of being on iPhone is that you don’t have to worry about any of that shit. It’s all there in the one ecosystem. You could go with another provider and then it gets all fragmented, and you probably wouldn’t save enough money for it to be worth it.

Not for photos, Google Photos is easily the best service out there imo.  I use it between iOS and Android without any issues.

Understand iCloud if you want full backups of your phone.

Edited by neesy111

10 hours ago, Beren said:

Any recommendations? Looking at you as usual @BlueStar :lol:

Oh, blimey, I've had the same Xiaomi 9T for three years no so I'm a bit out of the loop.  Might it not be better to work on the security of your current phone - encrypting the contents, making sure you're using fingerprint lock, enabling remote wipe and tracking etc?  I've got a £50 Amazfit Bip watch that as well as giving me notifications on my wrist, starts vibrating if my phone goes out of bluetooth range so I always know if I've walked off without it. I feel like if you have a "home phone" and then one you take out, it won't be too long before there's personal stuff building up on your out and about phone too.

iCloud seems absolutely dreadful for image and document management and is an absolute pig if you want to remove your data from it. At least it was a year or so ago when I tried tidying up the other halves phone.

If I ever moved to an iPhone, I would use just about every other major cloud storage provider before iCloud.

Guest neesy111
1 hour ago, Lazarus said:

Phone contracts must be mental now with this inflation.

Glad I upgraded at the beginning of the year.

Always buy my phone and get sim only contract, I'm only paying £5 a month for 30GB of data and free roaming still.

Aye, I cant fault VOXI.

Been with them at least three year now and they've not upped their price for their SIM only contract 

15 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Always buy my phone and get sim only contract, I'm only paying £5 a month for 30GB of data and free roaming still.

Yeah i always get last years top of the range samsung then my current to my lass.

Had a galaxy s9 from gumtree for about 2 and a half years.

Now at the stage where I can’t see the screen in the day. There is image burn. As well. I moved from iPhone se to this s9 due to the SE battery only working when on charge.

Bought another SE gen 2 2020 128g for £90 from gumtree yesterday. 89% battery health and pristine condition.

The data transfer was smooth as a whistle. It is like a top of the range phone in comparison to that S9.

I will never leave iPhone again.

Oh and wow. People selling second hand phones for a bag of sand. Ludicrous.

I’m like a dog with 4 dicks with this 2 year old phone. 😂

Edited by Infatuation Junkie

Need some boffin help. Had to

change my Microsoft password and since then emails aren’t downloading on outlook. I get the notification on my Home Screen then when I open the app it says it’s downloading messages but they never appear. Any tips?