Official Tour de France 2008 thread

James

My dad taped evey tour since 1986, so basically even though i was too young at first, I have watched and remembered every tour from this date.

this tour should be mostly drug free. cavendish could be the best british cyclists in my lifetime.

I used to really love watchin the tour... Fignon, Lemond, Induran, The Pirate, Cipollini, El Diablo...

...The last few years have been an absolute waste of time, and ive lost interest during them. I'll still watch it, but think cycling is finished.

Tour of Britain finishes in Newcastle on Friday September 12th, and goes through my village in Durham too :)  http://www.tourofbritain.com/therace_stage_pages/therace_stage_6_index.asp

Love the Tour.  Best sporting event of the year for me, but the last couple of years it's been painful to see the sport torn apart by so many high profile drugs issues.

My dad taped evey tour since 1986, so basically even though i was too young at first, I have watched and remembered every tour from this date.

this tour should be mostly drug free. cavendish could be the best british cyclists in my lifetime.

Sadly I bet it's not, even if we don't find out the truth for a while.  And that's without the argument that the likes of our own Robert Millar should have been thrown out of the sport for good after his drug use.

Love the Tour.  Best sporting event of the year for me, but the last couple of years it's been painful to see the sport torn apart by so many high profile drugs issues.

Sadly I bet it's not, even if we don't find out the truth for a while.  And that's without the argument that the likes of our own Robert Millar should have been thrown out of the sport for good after his drug use.

Bit different these days, all riders have to have all their bodily functions regularly tested, and this data is put into a computer so if there is any anomaly, a rider will get a short term ban, and be fully investigated.

As the majority of drugs are untraceable, the only way to observe potential doping is by looking for deviations in natural body processes.

This may sound a bit abstract, but because people are getting caught and failing tests, cycling is cleaner than most other sports.

Anyhow, excellent first stage today. Good win for Valverde.

Bit different these days, all riders have to have all their bodily functions regularly tested, and this data is put into a computer so if there is any anomaly, a rider will get a short term ban, and be fully investigated.

As the majority of drugs are untraceable, the only way to observe potential doping is by looking for deviations in natural body processes.

This may sound a bit abstract, but because people are getting caught and failing tests, cycling is cleaner than most other sports.

they say that EVERY year - it's the biggest advert for drug use in the world

All I can say to that is 200 bags of blood, only 34 DNA matched by a cyclist.

That leaves 166 non-cyclist athletes as uncaught dopers.

Yes, cyclists are getting caught and are still getting caught, but because of this, it is cleaner than all other sports right now.

Yes, cyclists are getting caught and are still getting caught, but because of this, it is cleaner than all other sports right now.

You're not serious?  I love cycling and constantly have to try and defend it, but to suggest it's cleaner than all other sports is ludicrous.  Things are improving, but they have a hell of a long way to go.

And the authorities have as good as admitted they can't be sure who is still on drugs.  They've allowed convicted drug cheats into this years Tour, but banned other riders who haven't been found guilty simply because their team are suspected of using drugs.

You're not serious?  I love cycling and constantly have to try and defend it, but to suggest it's cleaner than all other sports is ludicrous.  Things are improving, but they have a hell of a long way to go.

And the authorities have as good as admitted they can't be sure who is still on drugs.  They've allowed convicted drug cheats into this years Tour, but banned other riders who haven't been found guilty simply because their team are suspected of using drugs.

Same can be said for football, tennis, athletics and any other sport. Drugs testing in cycling is light years ahead of drugs testing in other sports. People getting caught means that the tests are working.

Fact is that cycling is facing up to its problems. Other sports are not.

Those sprints are amazing, you need to watch them a few times to see what actually happened.

Cavendish showed he had a lot more power than Thor at the end.

And what about the last guy in the breakaway. So Close!

Brilliant win for Cavendish there. Wasn't really his kind of sprint, but he timed his charge to the line to perfection.

Normally I'd be gutted for Vogondy, but not today!

James is going to be all over this thread later. :D

To hail Cavendish's excellent win or to admit he was wrong following Beltrans positive drugs test? ;)