Rooney

Guest nyscooby

Guest nyscooby

SSN - It is understood the talks are over a ten-year contract, with estimates of its overall value ranging from £60 to £80 million, although it is clear that Rooney will become one of the highest paid players in world football when he does put pen-to-paper.

Is it just me or is he currently the most over-rated player since football was invented?

I guess if we werent short of talented forwards, midfielders and errr, defenders, (glad we got a class keeper) then would you really want him.

He's been out of form for almost a year.

Him and Robbie Williams should move in together..........................

Slightly overrated perhaps, as far as the international scene goes. He hasn't had a brilliant start to the season either.

But he's world class, absolutely no doubt about it, and is only going to get better. Think what Man Utd will still have with him in six or seven years time?

He's gonna be one of the greats. I can't believe people give stick to a 20 year old like the way he has been getting it lately. Probably the same fickle bastards who will be singing his name when he scores at Euro 2008 (if we get there) and call him the best thing ever.

Good player, but hugely overrated. Will be a rich mans John Hartson in a few years when he can't run those burgers and chips off anymore.

Guest Magnetic North

nope, I think this might be the one case where an English player isn't overrated. He's totally brilliant.

M4, I couldn't have put it better myself. Whenever I watch him play parochial matters take a back seat. The guy's the genuine article - one of the most exciting players in the world.

21 yearold with a great future ahead of him, when he plays well Man Ure are on fire his vision his link up play he work rate are all just fantastic.

The media will ruin him though he is their new Gazza.

They'll give it a good go, but he's mentally too strong to crumble like Gazza.

Poor Gazza was a mess, and is only sorting himself out now. Rooney at 21, is more mature than Gazza at 35.

Also he's protected well by club, advisors and most importantly, family. Gazza had none of that. :(

Guest Magnetic North

21 yearold with a great future ahead of him, when he plays well Man Ure are on fire his vision his link up play he work rate are all just fantastic.

The media will ruin him though he is their new Gazza.

They'll give it a good go, but he's mentally too strong to crumble like Gazza.

Poor Gazza was a mess, and is only sorting himself out now. Rooney at 21, is more mature than Gazza at 35.

Also he's protected well by club, advisors and most importantly, family. Gazza had none of that. :(

Yup, sadly Gazza looks ready to go toes up at any moment.

Aye lets hope he is to strong for them, its a disgrace the stick he has been getting for his lack of goals in the media, world cup hangover and all that crap. He would walk straight into any team in the world and there are not many players out there that could do that.

He has all the ability in the world in possesion - I wouldn't say he was overrated in that sense. But there have been too many games where he has disappeared or been totally innefective popping up on the half way line. No football brain or just inexperience? I think he should have improved a lot more by now - Considering the development of Krustiano Ronaldo over the past few years. He's got to improve a whole lot before he's as good as he's made out but he has got in his locker for sure.

So yes, for me, overrated.

Plus, hes an ugly, perverted, foul mouthed, ill-disciplined, twat.

I hate him but to say he's been crap for a year is nonsense.

He dragged Man Utd to second last season, without him they would have been fucked. He's had a bad spell of form since getting injured before the world cup and suddenly he's overrated and shit? He's the most talented English player in many years. He could improve by adding more goals to his game (he's certainly capable of it) but he's always been more about creating anyway.

I think his career will mirror that of Cantona's. Absolute class in the Premiership, but too easily shut out, quiet, and temperamental at a higher level.

Saying this, I would bag Rooney in with Tevez and Robinho as young forwards who only have to improve two or three aspects of their game to be undoubtedly world class. Worrying thing for Rooney is that imo, hes the exact same player he was when he first burst onto the stage two years ago. Hasnt improved as expected, although theres ample time, its still worrying.

Guest Knightrider

I actually think he's being underused and therefore underdeveloped at Man Utd and I think someone seriously needs to tell him to stop chasing down everything. He has the energy for it but it gets him yellows, will cause him niggly injuries and it puts him in ineffective positions of the pitch. The best players always stay in zones that can allow them to spring into ation to do their thing, to be effective and to have an impact.

Short-term Man Utd was the wrong move for him, at that age anyway. He's been conditioned and restricted too much where as at Everton or a club without the demands of Man Utd, dare I say it our own, he'd have been more free to be the individual he is. Then when he's mature and experienced the team player, the tactical and switched on player will emerge.

Lets not forget however, he is only 21 and its only natural for someone so young to go through dips in form and confidence, plus I don't think he's happy in the system he's being asked to play in, not inwardly anyway because his frustration levels have grown and grown.

Fabulous talent though and for me, the best youngster in the game and he has the potential to be as good as anything we've seen these past years, Zidane and Ronaldinho included and by that I don't mean he'll do better tricks, I'm talking about the impact he could have, his effectiveness and his career.

I think his career will mirror that of Cantona's. Absolute class in the Premiership, but too easily shut out, quiet, and temperamental at a higher level.

Saying this, I would bag Rooney in with Tevez and Robinho as young forwards who only have to improve two or three aspects of their game to be undoubtedly world class. Worrying thing for Rooney is that imo, hes the exact same player he was when he first burst onto the stage two years ago. Hasnt improved as expected, although theres ample time, its still worrying.

agree to an extent. it was worrying after the 2004 match vs croatia hearing alan hansen say there's no way rooney can improve, right after a clip showing rooney's bad touch inside the box almost wasting a chance. was also worrying when fergie was asked how he would improve rooney, and he said he wouldnt do anything specific, just let him play. he has developed since he joined man utd, but only really in terms of consistency, as his best possible performance now would be no better than his best back then. his form at the minute reminds me a lot of Christiano Ronaldo's in the 2004-05 season, when he was really awful, with suggestions that fergie should give him a few weeks to recuperate, up until february. then he got two slightly fortunate goals at highbury which kick started his season and he's stepped up ever since. hopefully the same will be true for rooney but i worry about his weight and fitness and i think he won't recover his best form for a few months yet.