Knife Crime

Thespence

Do you see this as a national epidemic as the newspaper/TV media make out or do you think it is mainly a London thing. There is the odd  case in the NE but to me it seems mainly a cockney problem.

Saw one report saying its up 18% but over a longer period its actually around the same. I think its being reported more widespread these days as the press have jumped on the "fear".

Not saying it isnt a problem btw just seems to me that its the "buzz story" of the moment and will sell papers/catch viewers attention.

Guest LucaAltieri

It's been a problem for while up in Jockland as far as I'm aware. Just now its a London problem it's become more of an issue.

It's just cos the age of people dying is so low is London and they know people react to that, so they focus on it. A bloke in his twenties was found dead with stab wounds in some public toilets not far from me at the end of last year and it didn't get past the local news iirc.

It's been a problem for while up in Jockland as far as I'm aware. Just now its a London problem it's become more of an issue.

The Jocks & the English Irish don't seem to be that bad really

An analysis of hospital admissions data for England and Wales by the IoS revealed that assaults and injuries from knives and sharp implements, together with sword and dagger injuries, resulted in 12,340 people being admitted last year – 446 of whom were no older than 14. This is an increase of 19 per cent on the 10,372 admissions five years ago. The latest figures from Northern Ireland and Scotland bring the total number of victims in Britain to 13,795 each year.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/14000-knife-victims-a-year-860857.html

It's just cos the age of people dying is so low is London and they know people react to that, so they focus on it. A bloke in his twenties was found dead with stab wounds in some public toilets not far from me at the end of last year and it didn't get past the local news iirc.

Remember when the buzz was "BLACK ON BLACK" killings & all major sources were running the numbers, showing the increase & then some fucker asks for data about white on white killings & the fookers don't do that stat bluelaugh.gif

Me and this lad are moving to the north east in September, he said to me tonight that the knife crime in England was abit of a worry, but tbh he thought that Newcastle seemed more of a place were you would get "butted in the head" rather than stabbed :lol:

I think some of it is self fulfilling, the constant barrage of THOUSANDS OF FERAL HOODIES ARE ARMED TO THE TEETH WAITING TO STAB YOU THE MINUTE YOU STEP OUTSIDE is probably one of the reasons kids feel they've got to carry a knife in the first place.

Guest icemanblue

This years moral panic. Anyone remember killer bulldogs? Or ecstacy pills made specifically to kill you?

Society is changing though, no matter how cynical and clever you try to be about the media, its clear that we live in a different world than previous generations.

I dont think its a moral panic either. If any of you think that we should live in a society that accepts that 40 schoolchildren can be murdered on our streets for absolutely no reason, then you dont deserve to have a voice on the matter.

Society is changing though, no matter how cynical and clever you try to be about the media, its clear that we live in a different world than previous generations.

Do we?  I seem to remember areas like Glasgow in particular having big problems with razor weilding gangs long before the hoodie was invented.  Have murder rates really increased over the past few generations?  The only chart I can find only goes back to 1994 but apart from a big blip when Harlod Shipman was knocking old dears off there doesn't seem to be a great deal of change.

I would agree with the statement that it is a moral panic. Hoodies and Charvas have been made the folk devils of our time...similar to the 'mods and rockers' of old.

Do we?  I seem to remember areas like Glasgow in particular having razor weilding gangs long before the hoodie was invented.  Have murder rates really increased over the past few generations?  The only chart I can find only goes back to 1994 but apart from a big blip when Harlod Shipman was knocking old dears off there doesn't seem to be a great deal of change.

You'd have to adjust it for population too, so the answer is i dont know. The murder rate of children has increased, i'm pretty sure of that.

Generally though, the modern world seems to have greater degrees of freedom for the young and there seems to be more violence amongst the younger generation.

The murder rate of children has increased, i'm pretty sure of that.

I'm not too sure about that to be honest (Although it depends if you mean long term or short term).  This paper says that between the early 70s and the late 90s England, Wales and Japan had the biggest decrease in the number of child homicides.

http://bjsw.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/32/4/495

Children's Homicide and Road Deaths in England and Wales and the USA: An International Comparison 1974–1997

In addition, in every country, the figures for children's homicide were substantially lower than road deaths. England and Wales had been fourth highest but by the later period were the third lowest. While children's homicide rose substantially in France and the USA, the biggest reductions were found in Japan and in England and Wales.

Can't really find anything more concrete at the moment, but I'd be interested to see if child murders are really any more common in recent times than they were in previous decades because I've certainly never seen any statistics that suggest that.

I think some of it is self fulfilling, the constant barrage of THOUSANDS OF FERAL HOODIES ARE ARMED TO THE TEETH WAITING TO STAB YOU THE MINUTE YOU STEP OUTSIDE is probably one of the reasons kids feel they've got to carry a knife in the first place.

:clap:

I reckon it is definately a London thing.

London is like a country within a country, I always get an 'anything goes' feeling in the air when Im down there that I dont really get elswhere.

Same too could be said to a lesser extent for the rough parts of Manchester/Birmingham and Glasgow.

Most of us on this site are lucky as f*** that we live on the greatest and for the most part safest large conurbation of them all.

Guest elbee909

I think if you can sum up anything in two words - Road Rage, Knife Crime, Binge Drinking - then that's all you need to show there's a widespread 'epidemic' (oh, it's contagious, is it?).  Seriously, if people can latch onto a snappy title then everyone starts talking about it.

"Media Hype" - there are two words that add up to something far more prevalent than any of the above.