Free Beer & I'm your friend for life

Tsunami

Yeah, a lot less excuses if we mess this window up.

Has anyone said otherwise?

Yes the bloke that posted this:

I don't see any reason, apart from press bullshit, for all of this Ashley-hating that has suddenly sprung up. Of course he would sell for 450 million, anyone with half a brain would cash in a 150m profit in a year. But the reviews and changes he has put in place so far suggest nothing but a long-term view.

I don't think we can even judge him after this transfer window TBH. Maybe after 3 or so we will have enough to make a call.

So if we mess it up you think he will not be bothered? I don't see where he says that tbh.

Exactly, if I'm going to spend 100 million or whatever it was on something, I'd want to throughly check what I'm getting before signing the cheque.

If this is how he does business in general then I'm amazed at how succesful he cleary is.

I don't see any reason, apart from press bullshit, for all of this Ashley-hating that has suddenly sprung up. Of course he would sell for 450 million, anyone with half a brain would cash in a 150m profit in a year. But the reviews and changes he has put in place so far suggest nothing but a long-term view.

I don't think we can even judge him after this transfer window TBH. Maybe after 3 or so we will have enough to make a call.

So if we mess it up you think he will not be bothered? I don't see where he says that tbh.

You don't see where ? really ?? perhaps the last paragraph maybe where here says we shouldn't judge after this window but give him 3 more ?

Easy to miss that  I know.

You don't see where ? really ?? perhaps the last paragraph maybe where here says we shouldn't judge after this window but give him 3 more ?

Easy to miss that  I know.

Yeah, he says that we should give him a few years before we judge him as an owner.

He doesn't say that if we mess things up in this window that he won't be bothered. Does he?

Exactly where did I say anyone has?

That wasn't a point of argument against anyone or anything on here, I'm just stating a fact.

That wasn't a point of argument against anyone or anything on here, I'm just stating a fact.

And I was agreeing with you! :laugh:

If we don't get in the players we need this summer, Ashley will come in for a lot of criticism. He's not untouchable, despite what some are laughably making out I am suggesting.

And I was agreeing with you! :laugh:

If we don't get in the players we need this summer, Ashley will come in for a lot of criticism. He's not untouchable, despite what some are laughably making out I am suggesting.

Fair enough, took that the wrong way. I blame this increasing and rather strange division between our fans in regards to Ashley.

I don't think the point was that Ashley didn't realise the debt was there - it was more that he didn't realise the loan document contained a "poison pill" clause. This was that if the club changed ownership then the debt became repayable immediately, so he got stuck with shelling out an unexpected £70 million within days of the takeover. But your point about due diligence is valid. He can't have done much investigation on the detail because Shepherd would have known about it. And as I understand it the first time Fred knew the Halls had sold was after the event - when he was in hospital iirc.

So was there anything to stop him from, you know, taking out another loan with someone else if paying it off himself was going to scupper his plans?

He had plenty of legitimate excuses last Summer - new to the business, Alardyce not his man, etc without having to invent new ones for him. If I remember correctly, the most popular one was that the "strategic review" must be completed before any signings can be made.

I don't think the point was that Ashley didn't realise the debt was there - it was more that he didn't realise the loan document contained a "poison pill" clause. This was that if the club changed ownership then the debt became repayable immediately, so he got stuck with shelling out an unexpected £70 million within days of the takeover. But your point about due diligence is valid. He can't have done much investigation on the detail because Shepherd would have known about it. And as I understand it the first time Fred knew the Halls had sold was after the event - when he was in hospital iirc.

So was there anything to stop him from, you know, taking out another loan with someone else if paying it off himself was going to scupper his plans?

He had plenty of legitimate excuses last Summer - new to the business, Alardyce not his man, etc without having to invent new ones for him. If I remember correctly, the most popular one was that the "strategic review" must be completed before any signings can be made.

I don't know how easily it would have been for the club to borrow that sort of sum again in a hurry. The balance sheet, by this time, had £90 million of accumulated losses in it and was showing a technically insolvent position. I would guess that  Ashley might have had to personally guarantee any loan the club took out. And if he had to do that he might as well pay it off himself.

The strategic review was a sort of due diligence after the deal had been done I think and yes it was cited as a reason for caution.

If your overall point is that there can't be any excuses for some real progress to be made on strengthening the first team squad this summer then I agree.

Guest Badhead

With seven weeks left of the window I'd rather hope for the best than fear the worst: no-one really knows how it'll pan out at this stage.

If Ashley sells Keegan short he'll get the flak come August 31 alright. He's had his first-season's grace, which I think is fair enough, but it's obvious we need some investment in the first team urgently and if that's not forthcoming he'll lose a lot of goodwill. But there's nothing to be gained by pre-empting this. We might yet invest significantly enough to give the manager something to go to work with, and I'd back Keegan to get this place buzzing given a fair crack of the whip. Conspiracy theories aside, I don't see why Keegan would be appointed in January then left out on a limb come summer: what's to be gained by that?

Two things seem to me to be the main reasons for people feeling negative about the current situation. First, Ashley has not yet invested significantly in the squad; and second, the constant stream of adverse rumours coming out of the media about takeovers, cost-cutting and whatever else they can make up. The former may change; the latter is more than likely bollocks. I'm staying glass half-full till the end of August, anyway.

With seven weeks left of the window I'd rather hope for the best than fear the worst: no-one really knows how it'll pan out at this stage.

If Ashley sells Keegan short he'll get the flak come August 31 alright. He's had his first-season's grace, which I think is fair enough, but it's obvious we need some investment in the first team urgently and if that's not forthcoming he'll lose a lot of goodwill. But there's nothing to be gained by pre-empting this. We might yet invest significantly enough to give the manager something to go to work with, and I'd back Keegan to get this place buzzing given a fair crack of the whip. Conspiracy theories aside, I don't see why Keegan would be appointed in January then left out on a limb come summer: what's to be gained by that?

Two things seem to me to be the main reasons for people feeling negative about the current situation. First, Ashley has not yet invested significantly in the squad; and second, the constant stream of adverse rumours coming out of the media about takeovers, cost-cutting and whatever else they can make up. The former may change; the latter is more than likely bollocks. I'm staying glass half-full till the end of August, anyway.

Bravo.

Open minded on the whole situation. There's still plenty of time and there will be a lot happening behind the scenes right now. I'm with the people on here who don't feel they've seen enough of Ashley yet to know what ambition he has for the club.  He can easily put that right in the coming weeks. 

Your impatience is embarrassing.

im pretty sure that last season we signed enrique, beye and faye only a few days after tsunami made an identical thread.

tsunami just has a biased grudge against ashley, its been obvious since day one, and even when ashley did half the things he was complaining about, he still just ignored it and shelved his agenda until a time when he can use it again without looking an idiot.

I've raised the question about blind faith before & have asked where the money is in previous transfer windows. If MA answered this with spending a few quid on starting 11 players I wouldn't need to keep asking the question. I'm not anti Ashley; I simply want to see the first 11 strengthened. If it aint cheap or free we don't do business right now.

I'm pleased some others share my concerns. I've been with a company that was taken over 3 times in 5 years; what has been done so far could easily be seen as tarting us up for sale.

We had 13 senior players turn up for the 1st day of training, we need a centre half, at least one quality midfield player & a target man. We are talking around 30 mill to do this, we will not spend half of this pre-season. MA has taken Sky money, had fans buy 2 years worth of ST's last year & this year has had others buy or commit to 3 years, you can even have an away match ST. The club should be as cash rich as it can be & all the talk is about cutting wages & not paying stupid transfer fees. Great sentiments.

I'll be cheering when we start spending money in the transfer market; not for the sake of seeing money spent but as a sign on commitment from the owner.

I was underwhelmed by the qaultiy not necessarily the quantity at the end of his first window

Just noticed this whilst trawling for threads around this time last year:

All in all a good transfer window, B+ grade from me, a creative midfielder would have put the icing on cake but I'm more than happy, I think we've got a good enough squad now to compete for a UEFA spot. Lets hope we can get them playing a system that gets the results they are capable of.

You don't sound too underwhelmed to me. In fact you had concerns about squad size too, so is that a complete turnaround or have I read your post wrong?

I was underwhelmed by the qaultiy not necessarily the quantity at the end of his first window

All in all a good transfer window, B+ grade from me, a creative midfielder would have put the icing on cake but I'm more than happy, I think we've got a good enough squad now to compete for a UEFA spot. Lets hope we can get them playing a system that gets the results they are capable of.

You don't sound too underwhelmed to me. In fact you had concerns about squad size too, so is that a complete turnaround or have I read your post wrong?

It's the quality not the quantity of his underwhelmness.

Great post. There's plenty of time for mud-slinging, finger pointing and recriminations when the window slams shut, in the meantime, I'll be supping from a glass half full.

Hehe good spot Dave, when I wrote that earlier today I actually had a 2nd thought about it, perhaps I was talking from the high and mighty hindsight position. Please feel free to requote this as conclusive proof I talk a load of crap most of the time :)

That's a very level headed post and spot on. I guess I'm a little envious of those of you who are happy to sit this out and wait and see, personally I'm nervous as hell that we'll mess this window up again and desperately want to see some money spent and not just for spending sake but on both the quality and quantity we sorely lack.

Guest diddimz

I'm trying to put my faith in Ashley, and I know logically it needs til the end of the transfer window before i will judge him, Its just after the way we were run towards the end of the last regime, i find it hard to completely trust this one.

Guest Badhead

The window's a horrible time for a fan, mainly day after day of nothing - you just hope it's punctuated often enough with decent signings to make you feel hopeful come Aug 31.

Keegan was talking last January about bringing in a couple of players to 'set us alight' and that obviously still holds. If he gets a couple of bobbydazzlers in (along with decent reinforcments in key areas) I believe and hope he's capable of overachieving with his squad, creating some momentum. You'd hope then that come next summer (or even January) it would be that much easier to bring in better players, as we move away from the last four seasons of stagnation. That's the picture I'm painting in my head, at any rate!

It'd be a crying shame if he wasn't given that chance, but he might yet.