Rock 'star' in ignorant about games shocker

Guest elbee909

Guest elbee909

Noel Gallagher, guitarist and songwriter for UK band Oasis, has stated his belief that videogames are partly to blame for a knife crime spree that has claimed the lives of 18 teenagers in London so far this year.

"People say it's through violent video games and I guess that's got something to do with it," he said after picking up an award at the Silver Clef ceremony in London, according to the BBC.

"If kids are sitting up all night smoking super skunk [cannabis] and they come so desensitised to crime because they're playing these videogames, it's really, really scary."

Knife crime in the UK capital has hit the headlines on numerous occasions in the past few months, with repeated calls from celebrities to the government to respond to the situation.

"In my day, status was trying to be somebody, do you know what I mean, not trying to kill somebody? I was up in Liverpool for a week a couple of weeks ago and even on the news there it's every single night.

"I don't even know what Cameron or Gordon Brown are going to do about it," he added.

Earlier this year the government's Byron Review looked into the subject of the impact of violence in videogames on children, and made a number of recommendations which the government accepted, including a bigger role in game ratings for the BBFC.

But that particular recommendation, which is open to public consultation, has caused some concern among publishers, who have told GamesIndustry.biz that games could be more expensive or face delays in being released as a result - claims which the BBFC has since rubbished.

Been arguing this loads on Eurogamer and so I should bearing in mind the fact that my dissertation was about the influence of games on people... to cut a long story short, as much as I hate to say it, you can't completely discredit what he is saying.

There is much more to it than we what he is saying/what he thinks however, and smoking skunk and playing violent games alone will not lead a sane person to hurt others. But it might have an effect on the easily influenced and in that case the parents should be doing more.

The thing is most of these people who slag off violence in video games probably think the Godfather(amongst a million other films) is great. Violence in one is bad, but violence in the other is good.

If you kill someone after playing video games it's because you're insane and you would have done it anyway.

Guest elbee909

So people who are easily influenced will be influenced by things.  I get that.  Why single out games?  Because they're prevalent and not understood by the sort of people making these statements.

So people who are easily influenced will be influenced by things.  I get that.  Why single out games?  Because they're prevalent and not understood by the sort of people making these statements.

Oh I don't agree with singling out games at all, as a gamer myself I can't stand seeing ignorant people using games as a scapegoat for things. Same with music.

Is knife crime really that bad over there? Surely someone still has a gun?

Seems to be on the up with about one or two deaths by stabbing per week maybe more, the majority though are teenagers which is worrying.

Gun crime is only really an issue between the black and asian gangs shooting each other in the deprived areas of London Manchester and Birmingham.  Gun crime elsewhere seems limited to the occasional nutter with a history in the army or such like going mental and shooting a couple of people.

I dont know for sure but in Newcastle I reckon there were about five shootings resulting in a death in Newcastle last year if that.

Actually Mike, I was just watching the local news which had a piece on knife crime in the North East of England.

It said that at least one person every day is treated for knife wounds in the North East,

How that compares with the rest of the UK I dont know.

Actually Mike, I was just watching the local news which had a piece on knife crime in the North East of England.

It said that at least one person every day is treated for knife wounds in the North East,

Was it like that before the gun ban?

Was it like that before the gun ban?

Before the gun ban?, There has always been extremely tight controls of guns in this country since 1968, so I have never known anything else really.

Automatic weapons have been banned since the 1937 Firearms act.  For all other guns the Criminal Justice Act of 1968 meant that people needed to give a valid reason in order to obtain a licence for them.

Then there was the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988, which banned semi-automatic and pump-action rifles; weapons which fire explosive ammunition; short shotguns with magazines; and elevated pump-action and self-loading rifles.

And finally in 1997 there was another Firearms act which banned all handguns.