Best of 2008 so far - the halfway mark

Happy Face

NPR have had a vote and took 50,000 odd votes.  Clearly some fan sites have had an impact on the final result, but these things are always canny to find anything you missed (I didn't even know Girl Talk had a 2008 album  :blush:  )

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2008/06/take_the_poll_best_cds_of_the.html

Thoughts?

Omissions?

I know Hot Chip are English, but only 500 votes?  Deserve more.

No Camille either? I thought her album was quality.  Almost as good as her last.

Loved Black Mountain and Ratatat too

Jesus wept. None of that lot.

Their lot or my lot?

Suggestions?

Omissions?

Honestly, it's like drawing teeth.

In my opinion - their lot, and I guess your lot too but the jesus wept was aimed at the fact there wasn't a single album I could see on there that I personally really liked.

Thinking up some of my suggestions now but to be honest I've not bought too much new music this year for various reasons.

Their lot or my lot?

Suggestions?

Omissions?

In my opinion - their lot, and I guess your lot too but the jesus wept was aimed at the fact there wasn't a single album I could see on there that I personally really liked.

Thinking up some of my suggestions now but to be honest I've not bought too much new music this year for various reasons.

:lol:

How can you denigrate the list then?  Having heard little of it

Role Model, are you being too cool for school again?

Their lot or my lot?

Suggestions?

Omissions?

Didn't know I had to buy music to hear it.

And even if I haven't heard some of it how does that make it incorrect for me to say that none of that would make it into my personal best of 2008 so far list?

Seriously though - fuck me, look who is number one at the moment. Says it all really, the demographic that particular site/blog is aimed at clearly doesn't include the likes of myself. There's a lot of indie on there unless I'm much mistaken, and indie just isn't my cup of tea nowadays.

NPR have had a vote and took 50,000 odd votes.  Clearly some fan sites have had an impact on the final result, but these things are always canny to find anything you missed (I didn't even know Girl Talk had a 2008 album  :blush:  )

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2008/06/take_the_poll_best_cds_of_the.html

Thoughts?

Omissions?

I know Hot Chip are English, but only 500 votes?  Deserve more.

No Camille either? I thought her album was quality.  Almost as good as her last.

Loved Black Mountain and Ratatat too

Having just looked at the top 5 in that list, it's pretty good...haven't heard as much of the stuff lower down, but PATD, Coldplay and Flight of the Conchords are all solid albums, some great tracks on them.

DC4C, Vampire Weeked and the Juno Soundtrack are all excellent, the former two especially so. The Elbow album is pretty good two, three or four standout tracks - as per usual.

Not a bad list, although there is some random stuff on there - even by my own standards.

Their lot or my lot?

Suggestions?

Omissions?

And even if I haven't heard some of it how does that make it incorrect for me to say that none of that would make it into my personal best of 2008 so far list?

Calm down dude.  You inferred you hadn't partaken in much new music when you said you hadn't really bought much.  If that's not what you meant I can't see why it was relevant, but I apologise prefusely for misunderstanding you.

It's fine if none of it makes your personal list, but the "Jesus Wept, none of that lot" has a far more negative connotation suggesting the majority of it has polluted your ears at some point or another causing great offense.

Either way, your point is made.  I await your choices with great anticipation.

Seriously though - fuck me, look who is number one at the moment. Says it all really, the demographic that particular site/blog is aimed at clearly doesn't include the likes of myself. There's a lot of indie on there unless I'm much mistaken, and indie just isn't my cup of tea nowadays.

That number one is a scam.  That's why I made reference to the vote rigging in my original post.

The list is long and varied I think, I'd not pay much attention to positions.

Their lot or my lot?

Suggestions?

Omissions?

Calm down dude.  You inferred you hadn't partaken in much new music when you said you hadn't really bought much.  If that's not what you meant I can't see why it was relevant, but I apologise prefusely for misunderstanding you.

It's fine if none of it makes your personal list, but the "Jesus Wept, none of that lot" has a far more negative connotation suggesting the majority of it has polluted your ears at some point or another causing great offense.

Either way, your point is made.  I await your choices with great anticipation.

Er, I said I've not bought too much new music this year, I didn't say I've not heard much new music this year.

And I'll admit it's a little unfair to judge albums and bands by only listening to the odd song but there's a lot on there for whom I have heard the odd song and nah, didn't like what I heard. A lot of it I can't stand like Coldplay, Panic at the Disco and the aforementioned and absolutely dreadful Ting Tings.

Best albums would be;

Cancer Bats - Hail Destroyer

Tech N9ne - Killer

Mínus - The Great Northern Whalekill

Meshuggah - Obzen

The Roots - Rising Down

Raunchy - Wasteland Discotheque

plus loads of EPs and probably a couple of other albums.

Girl Talk's alright in small doses but more than 10 minutes continuous listening gives me a headache. Decent novelty music though.

Vampire Weekend, Dan le sac and Scroobius Pip, Portishead, Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly, Sigur Ros, Joan as Police Woman are about all i can think of at the moment. Maybe Crytal Castles but i only heard it a coupel of times and i was wrecked.

Didnt Radiohead's In Rainbows get properly released this year?

Flight of the Conchords should get a mention, was that this year?

Er, I said I've not bought too much new music this year, I didn't say I've not heard much new music this year.

Like I said though, seems a strange point to make, if not buying hasn't at all affected what you've heard.

And I'll admit it's a little unfair to judge albums and bands by only listening to the odd song but there's a lot on there for whom I have heard the odd song and nah, didn't like what I heard. A lot of it I can't stand like Coldplay, Panic at the Disco and the aforementioned and absolutely dreadful Ting Tings.

Fair enough, I much prefer to hear positive shouts about what people like so I can have a listen and expand my own horizons though, as opposed to bitterness targeted at the chart bands we all know who don't really get sales outside of the Q readership anyway.

Best albums would be;

Cancer Bats - Hail Destroyer

Tech N9ne - Killer

Mínus - The Great Northern Whalekill

Meshuggah - Obzen

The Roots - Rising Down

Raunchy - Wasteland Discotheque

plus loads of EPs and probably a couple of other albums.

Like this, I'll have a look at a few of them at work today.

I really liked the roots album too. 

I tried Absoloute Power as you recommended but I'm afraid it didn't do much for me.  I'm not a great fan of machine gun delivery.  Half way through Bianca's and Beatrice's I'd had enough and skipped on to the new Atmosphere album instead and it was like chalk and cheese.

Animal Collective - Water Curses EP

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant EP

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Fuck Buttons - Street Horrsing

Laura Marling - Alas, I Cannot Swim

Mystery Jets - 21

Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster

Ruby Suns - Sea Lion

Pete and the Pirates - Little Death

Portishead - Third

Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules and Love Affair

Cajun Dance Party - The Colourful Life

The Dodos - Visiter

No Age - Nouns

M83 - Saturdays = Youth

Blood Red Shoes - Box of Secrets

^ My favourites thus far.

Laura Marling - Alas, I Cannot Swim

Just got hold of this today after hearing a track last night (Ghosts I think it was called).  Sounded fun, though I frequently enjoy female singer songwriter albums for a couple of listens then get bored.

Bjork, PJ Harvey, Camille, Neko Case and Patti Smith are the only ones that spring to mind who've bucked that trend so far.

I didn't really like it that much at first, but once you get familiar with the songs it's fantastic. Well written for a mere 18 year old as well!

Like I said though, seems a strange point to make, if not buying hasn't at all affected what you've heard.

This is going to turn into a roundabout discussion soon enough but I'm getting confused, what does it matter if I buy this music or not? I've still got ways of hearing it.

When it comes to music I can be extremely critical, it is a massive thing to me (bigger than football in all honesty). On the other hand I can also be overwhelmingly positive. I see what you're saying though, I guess that wasn't really constructive criticism and fair play for wanting to read about positive alternatives.

In regards to Tech N9ne, fair play if his delivery doesn't do anything for you. I'm not about to say each record of his is really all that different to the others but he does have a few different delivery styles going on from time to time. His delivery and style isn't for everyone I will admit.